Should I sell all my CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamiesjamies, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Cassettes are "worthless".
    8-track tapes are "worthless".
    Most vinyl is "worthless".

scobb and clhboa like this.
  2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

No.

Grohlfan likes this.
  3. drasil

drasil Former Resident

those are placeholders put in by some sellers who are waiting for the average price of an item to rise before revising their price to something viable. the process is entirely automated with bots and usually is implemented by sellers with very large quantities of all types of used media. they do the same thing on other websites (like half.com), too.

MadMelMon likes this.
  4. kman

kman Forum Resident

I stand corrected
    thank you for pointing that out

SoporJoe likes this.
  5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

You also see the same thing when there is only one copy of something available. You'd think that at that point they'd drop their price and actually sell the thing, but they don't. I think it's an insurance scam.

6. drasil

drasil Former Resident

a friend of mine works for one of these sellers, unfortunately. these are very dubious business practices, but not exactly scams.

when they're the sole seller of an item and the price remains inflated, often it's because they don't actually have the item in stock. if someone were to buy it at that price, they'd locate a copy somewhere. (theoretically. in reality, nearly every time this happens, amazon refunds the buyer's money after the inevitable buyer claim that the purchase was in error.)

the reasons for which they do this are complicated and not involved with their relationship with the host website. your guess above is pretty close.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  7. Mark Mc Guinness

Mark Mc Guinness Forum Resident

You only ever hear of people regretting selling LP 's or CD's.So for the sake of 70 odd discs I'd put them in a box in the attic and see how you feel in a year or 2.
    You won't get a whole lot of cash for most titles anyway.

8. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I was on the verge of doing the same thing - was barely touching the CDs, listening only to rips. Then I got a CD player I love - a Naim - and it's changed everything. I'm spending a ton of time with the CDs and very little with the stuff on my computer. So glad I held onto everything.

black sheriff likes this.
  9. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity, what are the 10-20 CDs that you believe are worth £20-30?

10. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I have essentially the same player as you...looks, operates, and sounds very good. Those guys really know how to build audio gear...at a price, of course.

somnar likes this.
  11. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

No. I posed the same question years back after I ripped everything to file. No.

12. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I'm thinking of doing the same.

Maybe get rid of 800 of my 1200 CDs.

My strategy is to get a space at the swap meet for 1 day and sell them for $2 each.I'd only have to sell 20 to pay for the spot. And you could cut deals with people like 3 for $5 or 20 for $30, etc.

I could get rid of common vinyl that way too, and some household items.

jamiesjamies and drasil like this.
  13. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Hey! Where's Bowser? No Bowser, No Sha Na Na!!!

MikeInFla likes this.
  14. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident Thread Starter

Couple of Abba blue/silver Polaris. George Michael faith/lwp picture discs. 2 belinda Carlisle picture discs, an obscure Selena compilation and that's about it really! Not as many as I thought, and I might have been a little hopeful with some of those. If it's an pre cd era or early cd era album I worked hard to get the earliest pressings. Dylan Japan for Europe and no barcoded etc. some of these I paid little for, just wanted the early ones because I'm so ocd and like a uniformity to my collection!

15. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

16. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

drasil likes this.
  17. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think you have found the answer! Thanks! Gonna check this out

905 likes this.
  18. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

19. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I replaced all my plastic jewel cases with them a while back. They reduce the space needed to store them drastically.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  20. stephencorkery

stephencorkery Forum Resident

Keep them OP, unless you really need the cash. I was broke a few years ago and sold a lot of my stuff through Discogs but it's annoying now going through the collection looking for something and then realising 'crap, that went towards an electricity bill during the recession' :( .

On the upside though, it's been very easy to replace most things cheaply. I love that I can now fill out my favourite artists discographies for very little.

While I use Spotify a lot and have a large amount of music on hard drives, I reckon there will always be a place in my life for physical media. I've been especially appreciative of my collection since buying my own place. It's a nice feeling to gaze at the cds and records in a dedicated listening space and know I'll probably be admiring and caressing them for the rest of my life.:love:

jamiesjamies likes this.
  21. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

If you store them, please do so carefully, as if they are currently meaningful to you -- even if they're not. I pared down my vinyl about a decade ago -- keeping only the stuff I didn't have on CD, or that I truly loved. (Mistake 1.) I stored the vinyl I kept in the garage, and it leaked. Most of my LP covers have some water damage, although the discs are good. Now I am back into vinyl and bummed big time about the damage.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    jamiesjamies likes this.
  22. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Yep! I WAS BAMBOOZLED! Classic bait & switch.

23. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Buy now = low and sell high = the future/later

24. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

As many others have pointed out, this is the time to buy cd's rather than sell. I've been picking up lots of great cd's for bargain prices ($2-$5) and even less in library sales and thrift stores. I do think that cd prices will remain at their current level (common cd's can't get much lower) and rebound at some point in the future.

25. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Sorry but I sold a few hundred albums back in the mid 80's when "vinyl was over".

So, as far as my beloved CD's are concerned, to quote Mr. Townsend:

"We won't get fooled again" ....;) :)

MikeInFla and clhboa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.