Should I sell all my CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamiesjamies, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Now's a bad time to sell if you have "normal", popular stuff. The market is small and it's flooded with product - bad combination. Will this change in the future when physical media makes a comeback <if it does - I'm betting it will to some extent> is anyone's guess. The rare, collectible and off-beat stuff will always be in demand, even now. Gold cds, surround, sacds, dvd-a's - will always be in demand, at least that's my take on it.

2. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

We're talking about 70 CDs here. Unless you live in a broom closet I can't imagine it is too burdensome to store them.

3. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

What about all those vinyl lps you have - selling them too? They also take up room.

4. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

Yes they take up room but have an added aesthetic value that CD doesn't have.

5. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The OP should sell only one of them and never get another. You folks can do the math as to why....

hiddman likes this.
  6. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I probably have 70 CDs stacked up and lying around on my desk.

7. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

I also have no doubts that CDs will be worth money someday. Some of them anyway, but the same criteria will apply that does for records now. More people will be looking for lossless versions of albums that just aren't available and the CD will be a good way to get that. Even currently, many of the bands I collect don't offer a FLAC download, which means you're stuck with lossy for portable listening. Also, most indie and punk bands produce so few CDs, that they might become a novelty in 10 or 20 years. I have no doubt that it's easier to find a Ty Segall record than it is a CD. So I could see the CD becoming a sought after novelty at some point.

But your run of the mill, pressed in the tens of thousands CDs will be the 52nd street of CD collecting...

8. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I sold about 95% of my cds, 1300 or so. The hardest part was admitting to myself that I didn't really care as much as I once had about so many artists.

moops and scobb like this.
  9. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

I'm sure glad previous generations didn't feel that way, so music from the teens and 20's and 30's is still around to listen to and explore.

10. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure copies of this music exists outside of this one person's hard drive and iPod.

11. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

I'm sure they do, but are we not talking about trends here?

12. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

when the "cloud" bursts, he who holds the physical media wins.

13. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Oh yeah, I forgot, we they start charging for every drop of internet, he will laugh some more. :agree:

14. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Wait...

jamiesjamies likes this.
  15. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

When CD's started coming out I thought I'd never buy vinyl again. Thank god I held on to all my old vinyl while I had my unfortunate bout of digititis.

Point is, you change your mind over time.

Also, lay off the friggen tattoos!

clhboa, jamiesjamies and nightstand68 like this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

70? I'm sure there's a place you can store them...KEEP 'EM.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  17. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Did you sell them yet? Let's see 70 CDs, you can get a Big Mac dinner AND an apple pie! ;)

jamiesjamies likes this.
  18. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

"Should I sell all my CDs?"

Nah. Just give them away to the folks on this site who have R.E.M. related screen names and avatars who live in Ohio ...;) :)

19. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

Even better advice

20. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Nah. Just give them away to the folks on this site who have R.E.M. related screen names and avatars who live in Ohio ...;) :)

21. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

:agree:

22. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member

In a word..................NO

23. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

No! I'm in the process of selling all my vinyl (after reacquainting myself with it two years ago), plus the equipment. I upgraded the digital end of my system and couldn't be more happier. As long as there is people like Steve Hoffman and Kevin Grey at the helm with reissues, I will still stick to one of the mainstays in physical format. CDs have the potential to still deliver. My SACDs....AudioFidelity Mofi....is pure bliss to my ears. Redbooks also sound good with the right masterings. Pick your spots and it can be rewarding.

ukrules likes this.
  24. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice everyone. It may have seemed a strange post, having only 70! But getting down to this number was quite easy, it was whether I should get rid of the lot! I think though, considering all your advice, that I should keep them, and I will! We just never know what might happen in the future and as much as I love the convenience of iPods/streaming, what happens if for some reason I have no internet access? Also, some of these CDs I have had for 20 years! And I'm a sentimental soul. So thanks again for the wise words!

25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Good choice jamies, I personally will never give up my CD's or Lp's, although I have to thin them out from time to time.

jamiesjamies likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.