Should I spike

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tommytune, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommytune

tommytune Forum Resident Thread Starter

the stand (to the flooring under the carpet) that the stereo equipment is sitting on? (The tv is on a separate stand). The Realistic turntable and an old Pioneer seem to play fine, but a cheaper Technics turntable I have used before sometimes sounded very bad sitting on the top shelf. The stand is very rigid, but is easy to push on the top shelf and see the whole stand move, as it is just sitting on the carpet. Would this be dependent on if I spike the speakers to the floor?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks, Tom

2. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

It may help a little. Maybe. I wouldn't bother with it based on what I see there.

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Whenever possible I have spiked my stands to the floor. These have all been well made and well designed stands but at the very least I felt this provided a more secure and ridged set to the floor. I've never gone through the trouble of an a/b comparison with or without regarding sound differences (too bothersome frankly) but this is what I have done for a very long time and it would take much more than a push of the hand to move them at all.

4. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

This questions comes up around the punch bowl on special occasions...

Rolltide likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.