Should i unplug hifi during a storm?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by richbdd01, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok very apt....as a storm is approaching London now and could be a biggie!

Seen as i have now assembled a system that has set me back a fair few quid, im not taking any chances and have already unplugged from the electrical socket.

Does anyone else unplug their equipment during a storm with lightening? Or is it quite remote that it would damage your gear?

2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I don't unplug but I have all equipment plugged into power strips and I always turn these off during a storm.

3. Better to be safe than sorry.

I don't always unplug my gear, but I do if I hear a storm could get severe.

Sailfree, 56GoldTop and richbdd01 like this.
  4. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

I live in lightening storm H.Q. , central Florida , power outages occur on a regular basis but individual household damage rarely happen.
    I just posted this reply during a violent thunderstorm without any problemsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Sailfree, SBurke, pscreed and 2 others like this.
  5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

If it's going to be a thunderstorm, yes. It's not that much trouble to possibly avoid a very sad event.

darkmatter and richbdd01 like this.
  6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I unplug my Triplight power strip.

7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I live in a block where the TV aerial is on the roof aswell so that tends to get unplugged too! Well, i have not seen lightening like this in London for many years so im glad i did now. Like you guys say...better to be safe for how often it happens in England especially. :edthumbs:

8. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Well peeps.......after I posted my last message it took me 25 minutes to get back online.......had to system restore.....last time I joke about weather
    and electronics!!!

9. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

Yes, always a good idea. We have rare thunderstorms, and lightning strikes nearby are uncommon, but if you happen to be home or know a big storm is rolling through, it doesn't hurt anything to unplug things or switch off hard power switches. Unplugging is better because huge surges can theoretically jump the switch gap, and unplugging the powerstrip or the gear from the wall avoids that unlikely possibility. That being said, while it's a conservative thing to do, it is also likely that you could leave everything plugged in and you would be very unlikely to suffer any ill effects. The more fragile components are processing chips and the like, analog gear will tend to be plenty resilient, so things like computers or audio processors with lots of computing going on in there are more important to unplug.

10. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

If there is a big storm coming I unplug the power strips from the wall that host my equipment. Takes two seconds and makes me feel better

theron d and richbdd01 like this.
  11. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I always do this in the case of lightning. The stereo and the computer get unplugged completely.

12. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Great storm wasn't it, coming back here for thirds... Just unplug the pieces you don't want replaced on the insurance.

richbdd01 likes this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Good call - my dad had his home business laptop fried a couple years ago even though the bulk of the cables were in a power strip. It was an unlikely source (phone? Cable?) that damaged his system during a severe electrical storm.

14. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Like Florandia, I live in the most lightning-prone area of the country. This is the most nerve wracking part of the year for me, too. Unfortunately, I have SO many components interconnected it's almost impossible to protect all of them. Last Summer, I lost a computer monitor and printer in one nearby strike. I love Florida but I hate these damn storms.

15. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I always do when there's lightning in the forecast. I've been lucky, but I've known people who had stereo equipment burned to a crisp.

16. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Just connect all the equip to the lightning rod ground wire, then wait for the lightning to hit! (no don't do that folks) haha!

17. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Back when I was 12 or 13, my dad and I were sitting there on the computer. I think dad mentioned something about unplugging the computer due to the storm. Then we hear this MASSIVE boom, then the computer pops/fries, goes out, and a second later we smell the burned innards of the computer wafting into the room.

Shiver likes this.
  18. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

I love the sound of rain outside while I'm spinning vinyl!

19. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

I'm by no means an expert, but it seems to me you are turning off your protection just when you need it most. I don't believe your power strips will protect your equipment when they are turned off. They are still connected to the power outlet, leaving you vulnerable to power surges. I believe it's best to unplug the power strips. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
    -Bob

ODShowtime, bhazen and richbdd01 like this.
  20. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Time for some "Quadrophenia"!

Gavinyl likes this.
  21. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

It appears some of you are putting a lot of faith in a lowly power strip, which is not the best device to use for audio anyway.

22. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That's not the sound of rain. It's the sound of static. :winkgrin:

F1nut likes this.
  23. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

All of my electronics are plugged into surge protectors but when we're having electrical storms or when we leave on vacation, I unplug the surge protectors. Our house is well grounded but I figure not having to file an insurance claim is a good thing. ;)

24. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

Unplugging is crucial. A nearby lightning strike will dump vast amounts of energy into the physical ground and nearby electrical systems. This can be conducted and induced into your house wiring, including the safety ground. The lightning strike can cause voltage impulses on the ground wire where you would normally expect a zero volt sink. In countries with a mandatory safety ground (well, at least here in NZ) the ground wire is never switched off. Therefore the voltage impulses conducted via the ground wire go straight into the electrical equipment, basically "fed in reverse" onto the ground buss on the circuit board. The sensitive electronic circuitry expects zero volts on the ground buss, so a spike of many volts IN REVERSE can cause catastrophic damage. I have personally seen integrated circuit chips with the tops literally blown off (leaving small craters) from this effect that some engineers dub "ground bounce".
    I always unplug my "valuable" (precious?) computer and stereo equipment when I hear thunder approaching. I don't bother with the TV :)

The FRiNgE, richbdd01 and SamS like this.
  25. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

If you can, always unplug.

The FRiNgE and bhazen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.