Should Paul McCartney tour anymore or just do more studio work?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

I'm concerned about Paul losing his voice forever. It seems like each time he tours his voice get worse and worse through every show, and after the tour it takes longer and longer for his voice to recuperate. I would love to see Paul live again, but he really lives to be in the studio, and maybe he should save his voice for that. Maybe it would be best if he just performed a few songs at award shows and such. What do you think?

P.S. I guess really the bottom line is Paul should do whatever he wants, if he wants to host a gardening show on Sundays that would be fine with me.

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Uh, face it...Paul hasn't got too much time left to use that voice. Let him do what he pleases at this point.

3. Dr. Pepper

That's funny I just added a P.S. at the same time you were writing the above. Great minds and all...

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I want to see him in concert again. :)

Selfish, I know.... but I am quite confident that my opinion will never reach his ears and even if it did, he'd ignore it - like he should. :D

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The joy he gets from performing is obvious -- I don't think that he'll ever stop touring at this point.

6. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I'm a rabid McCartney fan, but if he decided never toured again that would be fine with me.

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Same here. Let him enjoy his remaining years regardless.

Evan

8. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

if he does go into the studio
    bring his band and stop overdubbing everything himself

my friend was row 2 at the David Lynch foundation show
    said Paul was so on

saw him on 2005 tour in Houston - one of my top 5 concerts all time
    he was definitely on!

9. Dr. Pepper

Kind of cool that we are all in the same space about this.

10. Dr. Pepper

At this point I'm delighted to hear Paul play with himself - that didn't come out quite right.:sigh: I just mean that knowing that Paul has played almost every sound that I hear on a recording makes it more intimate and special, to me.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Lol'd mightily. Thanks! :thumbsup:
    freaking awesome. Self-made musician.

It's nice, though, to let somebody else's voice come through (instrumental or vocal), although if Paul's a control freak like some say, we might be hearing on record exactly what he wants us to hear on record and nothing else, so it might as well just be him playing. I doubt it, though.

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I have no doubt people would pay good money to hear that. Not me though...

13. Well, you could always watch him making mashed potatoes. :winkgrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyyEc-GNDfQ

14. Perian

Perian Forum Resident

At this point in his life I think Paul is happy playing one-off gigs like he's been doing for the past three years. Since he has joint custody of his daughter with the ex-wife he has to stay home most of the time. I'm pretty Paul has even said that in an interview.

15. Perian

Perian Forum Resident

Me too. I generally always prefer his one-man-band albums.

16. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

I think he should put his musical career on hold and use his clout to make tube analog vinyl remasters of the Beatles a reality.

17. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

i hope he tours america at least once more so i can go see him

18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

It's funny, but when he toured in '02, I thought his vocals were much better than they had been in '89/'90 & '93. I was pleasantly surprised, because I'd felt some of his other one-off appearances (Montserrat benefit) sounded kinda rough. On the '05 tour I thought a couple of the songs (Fine Line, in particular) sounded bad, but for the most part, it worked. He also seemed to be performing somewhat more conservatively than in the past. When I saw him in Dec. '89 (Chicago) he was giving stuff like "Maybe I'm Amazed" all he had, and it was no wonder he wound up dropping it from the set. On the last two tours, that song was back, but he wasn't quite as exuberant in his vocal performance - which is ok w/me.

I've heard a number of folks say he sounded fantastic at the Lynch show. Better than expected. I'm starting to get seriously pumped for seeing him Sunday in Vegas - I'll let you know what I think when I get back!

19. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Everybody wants him to do what he pleases, whatever makes him happy, etc... I assume the OP was asking what we hope he chooses to do. Myself, I hope it's studio work because it lasts forever. After the performance is over, there is nothing.

20. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

McCartney loves an audience so I think he'll keep playing but my personal, very selfish wish, is that he dedicates what he has left of his voice to studio work. Looking at the obvious end-game, I want as much McCartney music to look back on as possible. Put simply, and I'll admit I've been lucky, I've seen McCartney live often enough and I just want him to keep making new music.

It would be criminal to think that he'd be forced to stop writing/recording prematurely because he can't sing his songs anymore.

21. Dr. Pepper

First Chief, calling my the OP sounds so official - I'm the good Doctor or whatever, I thought we were closer than that.:D Second, I agree with both of you, I don't want Paul blowing his voice out singing for the masses, I selfishly want him in the studio recording as many new songs a possible for as long as he possibly can. When/if he can't sing anymore, lately I have really enjoyed his instrumentals and I would continue to pick up any instrumental albums he was to throw out in his 80s and 90s. All would be right with the world if Paul would be the first artist ever to release an album of new material on his 100th birthday! :)

22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

As I was lying in the dentist's chair this morning, I was listening to a blues channel on their satellite/cable/whatever system. Some song was playing (can't remember the artist), but the screen above me told me that the artist was born in 1914 and the album had a copyright of (I think) 2008. The song sounded contemporary - well, you know, like a modern recording anyway - and I thought, is this guy seriously putting out new music at age 95?

Let's hope Paulie can do the same...

23. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

24. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

Paul's an old pro. If he didn't get out there once in awhile he'd probably lose his mind.

25. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I think excessive touring has really hurt Paul's voice. But I still love the sound he is able to get in the studio. So I think Paul should stop doing major tours. One-off concerts are fine and not as taxing. But I sure hope he keeps making albums for years to come. And I really hope that the remasters don't hold up anything he's working on (including recording that album with James).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.