Should Paul McCartney tour anymore or just do more studio work?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Crud, you're right he's brilliant on stage, he's brilliant in the studio, he's just plain brilliant! Is it me or has he becoming friendlier and funnier as he has grown older, not that he wasn't already both of those things.

2. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I think he should stop charging $350 a seat so i can afford to go see him :D

3. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

When your looks go, you're forced to develop a personality! :laugh:

4. Jan

Jan New Member

He should charge no more than $20 a ticket. It's not like he needs the money more than his fans do.

5. Dr. Pepper

Yes, but wouldn't you rather see the money go to Paul or a charity or something rather than a scalper. Maybe he should just sell his tickets directly on e-bay and say that any amount over $40 was going to a charity. I'd feel better about bidding hundreds of dollars.

6. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Paul's concerts are a happening (to quote a lennonism...) -- Even today. He carries the Beatles live music legacy solely on his shoulders. I've seen him twice, and I'd go again in a heartbeat

Plus his live band is awesome!

7. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I agree 100% , and also yes i do not want scalpers to get the tix either ala ticketmaster owned ticketsnow who take what they want before they go on sale .
    Even if he did $49 - $89 & donated half to charity that would be amazing , $350 is too much to see anyone , last time i saw prince it was $70 , Springsteen is about $90 , Billy joel is $90 , he's gotta kep it under $100 .
    I know they base it on "what people will pay" & "who the Demographic is" where as paul will attract a lot of older Buisnessmen who have some money , I'm just a big muisc fan & really can not afford $350 & then they'll tack on $30 in service fee's

8. Jan

Jan New Member

The way to do it is by mail only, just like when I got Led Zeppelin tickets in 1977. If too many requests are received, they just pick them at random. They return unfilled orders.

9. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Sorry sir. I mean, friend.

He almost looks like Beatle Paul in that outfit. He sound pretty damn good too.
    That's another reason why I'm not too enthusiastic about tours. I can't afford to go anyway. I can buy an album (and single, and bonus edition with special DVD, etc...) for $20-30 and it will last a lifetime.

10. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

After seeing the concert on VH1 called, "Electric Proms", I'd have go with the latter. His voice was terrible in that show but maybe he was just having an off night?

11. I have seen him live recently, it was memorable.

BUT

As long as he uses a decent producer like Lynne or Godrich
    and a good mastering engineer like Calbui or Grundman, I'll buy more cds.

'Memory Almost Full' is near the top of the worst sounding cds in my collection.

12. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

I've never seen him live. Yeah, I hope he keeps touring for a while!

13. jcjc

jcjc New Member

mccartney Just Told The Press

That he has 20 songs in the can for the next album. He also just played Bass on a new song for Ringos new album.

Supposedly Paul and Ringo are going in studio in the next few months to cut some new tracks as well.

I think people dig him live, his voice is going downhill sometimes he sounds good sometimes he doesn't. His voice sounds good on most of MAF,The Fireman he is swathed in so much echo and outboard gear its hard to say
    He can still sing in the studio with a good engineer and producer, lets be honest he's lost a lot of his voice but give him a break he's gonna be 67 years old! He's playing bass and singing lead doing two dozen songs at a show! You can tell he's not limber and he looks like an old guy holding that bass! But give the guy credit if you consider his age he's doing great! But we all know he doesn't have the vocal range or texture he once did.

14. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Whatever he likes he should darn well do, of course.

But I think I get what you're getting at. There have been many artists (and are still some out there) whom I would really like to have had a whole lot more studio time than touring. The touring can be taxing and particularly as they age it can in some cases contribute to serious health problems. In some cases they have a mix of declining physical abilities and more mature artistry that would produce great results with (sensitively produced) studio work whereas live it's just another shakey or routine run through a set often done at least a thousand times before. But the "problem" may be on the part of the folks in the music business as it may not be due to any choice of the artist; few run studios and can fully produce music that may best suit them without a company to support and (details) release the sessions. A keen example in my opinion was Louis Armstrong.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

At this point, I'd rather he concentrate on studio work. There is a sameness to his tours at this point: The hits, more hits, a few from his most recent album, then more hits. Hits are all well and good, but I'm tired of hearing them live. He doesn't dig deep enough for me, personally, so...

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Tour, tour, tour!!!

17. Dr. Pepper

If I were Paul....

I think I would do small clubs. Do a five song sets, and if I feel like it just go to the next 5 songs set untli I feel like being done for the night.

Set Format

Beatle song
    Wings song
    Beatle song
    recent song
    Beatle song

rinse and repeat as needed!

18. Dr. Pepper

What would be your favorite environment to see Paul live, and what would he play?

I would love to see him at a small club on the "Revolving Ram Tour" where he plays all of his songs off of Revolver and Ram in it's entirety!

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't think I want to be there the night he decides to quit after fives songs...

20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I hope McCartney never stops performing live!

Yes his voice has changed, but it's still better than most rockers these days! I've noticed that McCartney just has to let his voice warm up, once it does he's untouchable!

McCartney is at his very best with a band, the albums with him by himself are cool, but he's best with a good hard rocking band!

I hope he finally uses his full band for his next album.

21. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

Let Paulie enjoy his life

I’m a wrong man to answer to this question … but if he is enjoying to tour, so let him tour. :winkgrin:

This reminds me about an old joke.
    Sir Paul was asked of someone quite well known gentleman why he had to go to the road: Paul, if I were you, I’d buy the road!

Maybe one of you guys can tell this story as it happened in original?

22. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Was it Jerry Reed that said "I'd buy the road"? "Man, if I was Paul McCartney I'd BUY the road".:)

23. As long as Paul still enjoys being in front of an audience singing and playing his songs, he should keep doing it, as far as I'm concerned...hell I attended his "Wings Over America" and 1989 concert tours back in the day and loved it!:winkgrin:

24. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

The 2002 tour was the pinnacle IMHO. His voice was, as has been said, better than 89-90, and the 93 tours. But 2005, he fell off a cliff - the nadir being the appearance on Ellen, where he had to change the key to "Fine Line" mid-tour.

Paul abused his voice in 89-90 - much like George in 1974, he rehearsed WAY TOO MUCH preparing for the tour. But his voice problems in a live setting were obvious back on the 1979 UK Tour - he was VERY raspy then.

I've said this before - Paul will likely never do a big tour again. The 2005 tour did his voice in, and he perpetually sounds like he has a cold/congestion, even in his everyday speaking. Sad to say, his voice is showing it's age.

It's going to be hit and run stuff - a small, special show here, a mega-crowd festival type show there, and then nothing for a long stretch. Check it:

LIST OF McCARTNEY SHOWS post 2005 tour:

2007, Jun 03, London, Electric Balroom, UK

2007, Jun 13, New York, Highline Ballroom, USA

2007, Jun 28, Los Angeles, Amoeba Music, USA

2007, Jul 07, London, The Institute Of Contemporary Arts, UK

2007, Oct 22, Paris, Olympia, France

2007, Oct 25, Roundhouse, UK

2008, Jun 01, Liverpool, Liverpool Stadium Anfield Road, UK

2008, Jun 14, Kiev, Russia

2008, Jul 20, Quebec, Canada

2008, Sep 25, Tel Aviv, Hayarkon Park, Israel

2009, 4 April, David Lynch Foundation Benefit, RCMH, NY NY

2009, 17 April, Coachella Festival, CA

2009 19 April, The Joint, Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV

Notice a pattern here?

This is how it's going to be, IMO, for the forseeable future.

I'm just grateful I live on the west coast, and Vegas is convenient for me.

I'm getting rather giddy about this weekend..... :agree:

25. jpm-boston

jpm-boston Forum Resident

Paul should just record albums and tour as much as he wants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.