Should we close our Audio Hardware section, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I love this section of the forum, would hate to see it go. There are heated arguments, sometimes they go south when they start getting disrespectful. There's also lots of useful information here. So please keep it open.

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I agree...there's tons of great info to be had there, and I would really miss it if it were all taken away.

Oliver also brings up a great point. What exactly are the silly, tired and repetitive skirmishes that people tend to fall into? Myself, I've fallen into a few Mac vs. PC debates...even though I own and use both. So why not just make that particular topic off limits. Period. If you wanna talk Macs...specify it in the subject. And the same for PC's. Don't pit one against the other or it would get locked.

So perhaps the suggestion would be to figure out the three topics that cause the most flare-ups...and just no longer allow those discussions at all.

3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I voted 'keep it open'

Darryl

4. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Oh no it isn't.

5. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Because there are some dopes that don't read the question correctly.

Like myself who read the question as 'should we keep the audio section' so of course I voted 'yes' :o :help:

6. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Please keep the Hardware section open. It's a great trove of information and opinions. I've been able to tweak and fix my system multiple times already just by browsing through threads.
    Plus it's a great place to drool over the really high end stuff.

7. TheRimeOfIcarus

TheRimeOfIcarus Active Member

Keep it please, but we could make it better

-Bolded rule at the top about subjective debates
    -Dedicated subforums to analog and digital formats perhaps?

8. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I see what you did there.

9. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Steve,
    Please keep it open. It's a great place to share observations and learn. Many great ideas flow through the forum that help us get closer to the music.

10. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Keep it! Too much valuable information in this part of the forum to close it.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I voted to keep it.

12. samcataudio

samcataudio New Member

I must be missing something or maybe I've become one of the old fogies, but I don't remember any bitchy posts or maybe I've gotten so fast at the delete key they no longer phase me. Anyway I vote to keep it open. Ignoring the morons that bitch is the best policy.
    Jeff B.

13. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

please keep this thread open...........the recent posts on cartridges was highly informative to me and although i had nothing to add to the debate/threads it made me come to decision regarding my own equipment......this is a place where people like me can get feedback off people like me.......i am not going to get that off stereophile/AS..ect

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Lownote is right. If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't have posted info about the Sherwood RX-4109 receiver for those low end buyers on this forum interested (many on here bought as a result of my long thread about it) and I wouldn't have found out about the Audio-Technica AT-LP120 turntable either.

15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

+1

16. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Keep it open.
    BUT it would be OK for the Gorts to privately tell someone that they have made the same point multiple times in the same thread and it's time for them to move on. I would rather have the Gorts do that than ban someone from the Forum, even temporarily. That should be reserved for someone who posts something insulting multiple times.

17. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Open. It's a valuable resource.

If it were shut, people would still find a way to discuss hardware - they would just do it in Music Corner or Off Topic.

So for patrons who must argue, go here

18. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I think I bought about 8 of them. Prior to that I was buying the Sony STR-100's which were fairly similar, but I was paying anywhere from $120 - $150.

Btw, many of the Sherwoods I actually got for $89.00.

Thanks Brad.

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

You're welcome. It goes to show that we need the hardware forum, warts and all.

20. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

21. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I certainly say keep it ......

I love reading reviews , Getting advise for people who may own something i am looking to buy , Or different set-ups people have tried & what the results are etc.....

22. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Keep it, I get good advice from it, and i'm constantly learning.

23. vinylphilemag

vinylphilemag Member

Is this a five-minute argument, or the full half-hour?

24. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Perhaps different views could only be posted by a members who actually tried the component/part.

For instance:

OP: I replaced my GHI with the XYZ (component, part, etc) and now I hear deeper bass and more open midrange from my music sources.

Member agreeing: I heard a similar improvement in my system when I replaced my JKL with the XYZ.

Member disagreeing: Actually, my system sounded harsher and more distorted when I replaced ABC with XYZ.

Curious members who have not tried, but are considering the XYZ, could then ask questions of those members who've tried XYZ, check out their equipment profile, etc. to better anticipate their expectation if they try XYZ.

25. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The hardware section here is remarkably well behaved compared to many other audio hardware related forums.

There's valuable information here. I've gotten the bug to dabble with a turntable again partly due to info here. There's good info here too for people who are beginning to transition to playing digital files from a computer or music server. That's brand new territory for many. It's helpful to discuss such things with like minded people who have large legal media collections and an interest in real music. You don't find that at many other audio forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.