Shout Factory Working on a Complete-Series "WKRP in Cincinnati"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Planbee, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

2. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Yes. I will.

3. Shout! just charged my CC, I guess things are underway...

Once again fingers crossed these will be the non-syndicated episodes with at least 80% of the music included.

Myke likes this.
  4. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

So perfect is the enemy of good then? You actually believe that there is a chance that Pink Floyd will be on it? And if it's not, the entire series is worthless... wow. Just wow on so many levels.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Really looking forward to hearing your report.
    Off the top of my head, missing content ( " hold me closer Tiny Dancer " in a Russian accent ) is at the top of my list.

George P likes this.
  6. I'll keep ya posted.

Hard Panner and Myke like this.
  7. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

A post (from a moderator) on Shout! Factory's WKRP product page today says there will be an announcement regarding the music next week.

8. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I will too.

9. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

It kinda worries me that they're charging cards (and presumably shipping) before the music announcement gets made.

10. Myke

Precisely why I didn't order from them. Well, that and the lower price.

lpfreak1170 likes this.
  11. Indeed. But I just had to preorder... Shout! Informed me that it won't ship until after 09/23.

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Regarding whether or not the music is a deal breaker for a show that I love as much as this one, I will add this little anecdote:

A few weeks ago, I caught the "Tiny Dancer" episode in re-runs, and when the spot came where I knew Tiny Dancer was supposed to appear -- only some bland, faceless music was inserted in its place -- I couldn't believe how let-down I felt. I didn't think it would bother me as much as it did. That being the case, while I'm not sure that I'm absolutely on the "I won't buy it" side of the equation, I can certainly understand, first-hand, why some would feel that way. It's a great moment that was transformed into a sucky one.

Vidiot, MMM and Myke like this.
  13. Myke

That of course makes me wonder why it would be cut for syndication, but not cut for home video sales ? It likely will remain cut for the DVD too, and for me, that's definitely a deal breaker.
    My money > my choice how I spend it, and I'm definitely not dropping $107. on something that isn't going to make me happy.
    Especially when I just saved $95. on The Sopranos Complete Blu ray set, and have been watching all day since it's arrival, as happy as a fat kid locked in a candy shop overnight.
    I've made it this far in life without owning WKRP, I believe I'll be okay for however long I have left.

14. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I enjoyed a few episodes of the show, but the WHOLE series? Not sure if I'm that much of a fan. I know I mentioned something earlier about the musical content, but if I buy a series box, need to be a serious FAN of the show.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Three separate contracts, I believe: one for first-run network; one for syndication; one for home video. It's possible to get a deal for all three at one low, low price, but it takes a lot of negotiating to do. At least this is more common nowadays, because it's understood that shows will have a long life as downloads, streaming, DVD, Blu-ray, satellite, broadcast, whatever.

Note also that different people own the recording vs. owning the publishing, and it's always possible one will be open to negotiation and the other will ask for some absurdly high price. Or there's a contract where the artist has to approve the use of their songs, and they just nix the whole deal. Stranger things have happened. As one example, Jimi Hendrix' estate will not approve the use of any of his songs in any motion pictures or TV shows that have scenes involving drugs. Howard Stern has mentioned many times that he wanted to use "Purple Haze" for a scene in his movie where the college Howard was blitzed out of his mind on acid or pot or something, but the Hendrix estate totally killed that idea. Money was not the problem; context was the problem.

musicalbeds and IronWaffle like this.
  16. Myke

And yet Jimi's cover of All Along The Watchtower is used during a scene of procuring drugs in the 1991 film Rush.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Stern's movie was in 1994, so it's very possible they clamped down by then. There's also the possibility that people would just lie and say, "oh, no, we're going to use this song during a picnic, and there's no drugs at all," and then they just do what they want.

18. Jimi's cover of All Along The Watchtower is used in a drug-related scene in the (admittedly terrible) movie Land Of The Lost from 2009.

19. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie Thread Starter

Well, no kidding. What's your point? I could go into many TV show threads and post the same thing, but I don't.

905 and eddiel like this.
  20. RockWizard

Do you buy everything because it's complete? Wish I had those resources. Sorry if I bothered your day......

21. Similarly, Peter Gabriel almost nixed the use of "In Your Eyes" in Say Anything because he got his movie requests mixed up and thought it was going to be used over a drug scene in the dire Belusi biomovie Wired.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  22. Planbee

What does this have to do with resources? I buy complete sets of shows I like. Shows where I "enjoyed a few episodes" I wouldn't even buy one season, even if I could print money. My point was why you would bother to go into a thread about a complete-series box and post that you don't like the show enough to buy it. So what?

905 likes this.
  23. RockWizard

Who died and left you boss? Others voiced their opinions and you pick mine? I never said I did not like the show, I watched it in the original run. Did you?

24. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I think Planbee is saying why bother chiming in on a show that you don't care much about? There is nothing in his statement that expresses authority over you. It was a reasonable comment based on what you had said.

905 and recroom like this.
  25. Planbee

Thank you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.