Shout Factory Working on a Complete-Series "WKRP in Cincinnati"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Planbee, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

How are they going to deal with the Hoyt Axton episodes if they can't license his songs? Those scenes are key to the entire show.

aoxomoxoa and MLutthans like this.
  2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It is but I've been watching my VHS rips for awhile now and would welcome better quality shows. I think I'll still keep my pre-order and supplement the official release with my VHS rip copies, mainly for the eps with too much editing.

3. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Can't believe someone complained that they couldn't clear Francis Scott Key. I have all his albums, BTW. :biglaugh:

Apparently someone tweeted that "Dogs" was replaced by another track (with dogs in it). So the scene in "Turkey's Away" will still be there.

4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Does make me wonder how they'll handle that scene though. I assume the caller's voice will be re-done with new song titles, but the Francis Scott Key joke was the punchline.

I'm also wondering about the episode where they read the lyrics to Imagine. If they don't have that, how will that work?

eddiel likes this.
  5. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Those were on the Fox S1 DVD, so they'll most likely be included. Remember these were sung by Hoyt on set.

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I thought that but the link above to the bluray forum spreadsheet thing showed those in white. Mind you the original poster did say it wasn't official.

7. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

T
    I'd imagine they could simple replace the uncleared "montage" snippets with something close, and retain the caller's original dialogue. (The music was meant to be indecipherable, after all).

As for the National Anthem...I'm sure they can find a different (cheap to license) recording to use (as the song is public domain).

Strangely, in the episode "Tornado" on the old S1 DVD, Fox chose an entirely different patriotic song to replace the national anthem (Oh Beautiful..I think?). Of course this made Les and Carlson standing up, hand on heart, make little sense.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  8. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

He also listed things like Les singing "Heartbreak Hotel" being missing (Elvis Presley's recordings were cleared, so why wouldn't Les's interpretation?), and Jennifer's doorbell. I'd take the missing entries on the spreadsheet as "unknown" rather than "missing".

Another quandry...we don't know if the artists listed had all of their material cleared. For example...maybe they cleared Dylan's "Serve Somebody", but not "Like A Rolling Stone".

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    eddiel likes this.
  9. Well, the release prefaces the list by saying "Some of the artists included in this set are...", so there's a figleaf of possibility that some negotiations are still going on, maybe right up to the moment the masters need to be made as a previous Shout Factory statement indicated. So don't totally give up hope yet! :)

TJSBeatles likes this.
  10. IIRC the whole song isn't recited though, just a few lines are quoted. I'd think this sort of usage would fall under fair use practice, wouldn't it?

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I was just going to say the same thing. And of course if any licensing was required, it would only be from the song's publisher. There's no recording that would need to be licensed. So the "artists included" list doesn't tell us anything one way or another about that episode.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm an inch away from cancelling, mainly based on how sick I am of having to think about what would normally be a DVD release of a TV show from my past. But there's over $100 involved, and hundreds of people on the internet discussing it, and some of them may have information that'll help me decide to either stay the course, or abandon ship.

Thank God a show like The Sopranos was made in the era that it was, so that all these licensing-for-home-video issues were taken care of, well in advance.

a). I'm watching the new Blu ray release of The Sopranos right now, so it's in the forefront of my mind, and
    b). talk about another show that uses great music as part of it's " cast "...

musicalbeds likes this.
  13. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Hot Blooded and Tiny Dancer are enough; I'm in.

musicalbeds likes this.
  14. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Why are people getting all bent out of shape because of this guy's UNofficial list? Shout said there were more artists on the set, so lets all wait and see.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm pretty much in for this set now.

RoyalScam and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  15. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

On DVDs? Oh, hell yeah.

16. Such as...?

17. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

First seasons of Rhoda and Father Knows Best, probably others I'm forgetting. Also, as Vidiot has pointed out, they oftentimes don't do jack diddly squat in terms of remastering video, so releases like Room 222 had crappy picture quality, as well.

Vidiot likes this.
  18. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I'm taking a stand against any artist not allowing their music in the release of my favourite all-time show. I don't care if it's my favourite band saying "no".......deny me a complete WKRP and I will boycott your music until it's included. If it's never included, the hell with that musician/band.

I love Pink Floyd, but if no Dogs, no more money will I spend on them. The same goes for the Grateful Dead, Led Zep, the Who, the Stones, The Beatles, the Doors, the Allman Brother's....any of my favourites will be boycotted if they screw with this release by saying "no".

It's that simple, as far as I'm concerned.

I boycotted the Page/Plant tour because I was pissed that they didn't include Jones...and I was rewarded for my loyalty with a ticket for the O2 reunion, so all's well that ended well.

19. musicalbeds

Lol, U2 is on the spreadsheet? The same band who gives an album away free, won't license a song they allowed to be used back in the 80's?
    I guess they value their old music over their new music.

MLutthans likes this.
  20. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Probably stating the obvious here, but in some cases the artist has no say. They may not own their own publishing, and even if they do, they may not own the copyrights to the physical recordings. A fair amount of artists, more as time has gone on, may own some or all of their publishing. But even fewer control the rights to the actual original recordings. There are also some artists that do have “veto” power over use of their recordings even if they don’t own them (e.g. The Beatles), but even in that scenario they may only have the ability to say “yes” or “no” and would not be involved in whether the copyright holders say yes or no, or how much they try to charge.

We don’t know how many songs would not be appearing due to firm refusals versus simply asking too much money. There is literally NO limit to what one can ask for use of a song. They can ask for $10 million per second if they want.

Vidiot, Planbee, eddiel and 1 other person like this.
  21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

By the same token, many artists probably were never consulted about their music being included in the first place. Their publishers simply saw it as an extension of radio play, and hoped to stimulate sales for what was relatively new product at the time. None of those thoughts are in play anymore, and publishing may have changed in nearly 30 years.

22. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

This is the song they substituted it with...

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  23. musicalbeds

I'm not worried about the Beatles as they do just fine financially, but other bands might get caught in that scenario, and I feel for them.
    But, I feel for me more, not having the set as was originally shown, and my boycott hits the people making the decisions financially whether it hurts or not, and that's all I can do to voice my displeasure.

24. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

You have GOT to be kidding me!

MMM likes this.
  25. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

As for Pink Floyd.....maybe they found a cover version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.