Show us your CD & Vinyl Collections..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by brownsound2112, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

Why not...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mowgli

3. Mowgli

4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Here is part of the SACD collection....scans are being updated with better ones, along with new additions.

Western SACDs

5. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Very nice collection!

soundboy likes this.
  6. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

Oh please, my Grateful Dead live shows from 1977 alone win this thread.

/

7. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Summer 2016 : I started my classical music vinyl collection after staying away from vinyl for almost 3 decades and listening exclusively to my CDs. I grew up exclusively on classical music and opera until age 10, so the genres are in my DNA so to speak.
    I got incredibly lucky, my local vinyl store put up summer sales - 100 K LPs for $ 1 CAD each - even boxsets were $ 1 CAD (no matter how many LPs in a box).

Anyway, I live in a city where classical music is not much appreciated, so I was almost by myself in the classical music aisle of the sale. Over that first summer and summer 2017 I acquired just under 800 LPs after digging painstakingly through around 25 - 30 K records ( I even got a skin rash from the old accumulated dust). They are all near mint, many were still in shrink wrap and or sealed. It is a true cliche, that people who collect classical music usually take very good care of their vinyl.

I got myself my own little setup (so not to disturb my husband's fancy shmancy stereo and TT ) and been happy ever since.

These are my 2 main IKEA shelving units.

[​IMG]

This unit has mainly books and just a few rock + jazz LPs ( some things I really like and my husband has multiple copies of).

[​IMG]

And this other unit has all my opera LPs and some cantatas.

[​IMG]

8. DeepFloyd11

My husband says: 'Very nice collection, this guy has for the most part very similar tastes from the CDs I can see'.
    My husband has also a huge Frank Zappa CD and vinyl collection. We have only one large free-standing carousel with CDs in the living room (it holds around 1200 CDs or so). The other several K of CDs are in the in suite storage room, along with all the DVDs / Blu Rays of movies and concerts. I did not want our living room to look like a store. Thousands of vinyl records occupy one large 8 m long wall from floor ceiling - and my IKEA units are in front of our balcony windows.

Clanceman and Mowgli like this.
  9. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I've wondered the same. I can't find a way to insert an image from my PC into a post.

10. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

[​IMG]

Here’s mine, LP only. Top row is rock&pop, middle row classical and bottom one jazz. On top, to the left of the amp, there is another batch of classical boxsets.

This is actually a modified Ikea shelf. It used to be black and have an extra row on top. I got rid of that and exchanged the sides for thin ones, because I think the Ikea frame looks bulky and unelegant.

11. Mowgli

Nice!

Tell Mr. DeepFloyd thanks. My collection is full of pigs and ponies!

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  12. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

13. Mowgli

Nice! That's a lot of records.
    I have about 200 not shown but I also purged the unwanted/redundant lately so those butt-ugly boxes on my speakers are gone.
    I designed/built my shelves to fit the room.
    A couple of sheets of B grade plywood, dadoed, glued and screwed & many rattlecans of Rustoleum black.

crispi likes this.
  14. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I have my own Instagram account in my signature below.

Runicen and Mowgli like this.
  15. Mowgli

I actually played that "NoMeansNo ~ Wrong" full album on youtube. Good stuff :righton:
    I found it from Cramps Bad Music For Bad People video "recommends"

I roadied for The Sickness (at Cantones in Boston) ONCE in the late 70's before they became Kilslug.
    Once was enough. They got through most of their set before we all got kicked out for mayhem.
    Crush Kill Destroy, I Am The Corpse Monger, etc - Good times.
    The Sickness played at a small party at my parents' house once but it was safe because Larry Lifeless was somewhere else.

Holy **** LL is still alive and kicking - Larry Lifeless (Kilslug), They Hate Us (Malcolm Tent), Time Out Timmy (NH)

nosliw likes this.
  16. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Awesome story!

That NoMeansNo album was quite hard-to-find without paying a fair bit of money, even for the sold-out reissue some years ago by Wrong Records. I was lucky to find a used copy for $20 at one of my local record shops over a year ago. But anyways, I've got a huge amount of other records, CD's and cassettes in my collection that I want to show off in my Instagram slowly. :)

Mowgli likes this.
  17. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Nice format of photo-documenting your collection! Would be perfect for insurance purposes. I think you're inspiring me to try something similar...

I'm enjoying this thread so far; I hope to have the time to take some photos worth sharing soon.

soundboy likes this.
  18. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The Flickr account is free and I believe there's no limit on storage. I think Google Photos is the same.

Useful when shopping too.

Mowgli likes this.
  19. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I have a free Flickr account and the limit is 1TB. Google Photos is unlimited at the resolution they limit free photo storage to (which may be lower resolution than the original resolution of the photos you take, but is still more than adequate in my experience).

DeepFloyd11 and soundboy like this.
  20. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Left to right ...

Column A = receiver, SACD/CD player, and turntable, plus a drawer of "to listen to next" recent acquisitions

Column B = some LP or longbox-CD sized box sets, including Nuggets, Sonny Rollins, Steve Miller, James Brown, King Crimson deluxe boxes, and a few visual media boxes (e.g., MASH, Janus Films, UA 90th) ... LPs: Pop/Rock from A to R

Column C = more box sets across the top such as Zappa masters, Beatles, Hendrix, Coltrane, Springsteen, etc. ... LPs: Pop/Rock from R to Z, Classical, Jazz, audiophile (MFSL, Audio Fidelity, etc.) ... Neil Young Archives Vol. 1 tucked in there as well

Column D = large cabinet at top with box sets ... drawers filled with CDs, SACDs, audiophile discs, etc.

Column E = large cabinet at top with more box sets ... drawers filled with more SACDs, DVD-Audio discs, jazz, classical, etc. ... more drawers with video DVDs and blu-ray discs.

Across the top = Howard Finster art, my own art, antenna, Edie Brickell signed promo sheet, Sonic Youth signed album cover, Elliott Smith promo sheet, and Talking Heads signed (by Howard Finster) album cover ... electric and acoustic guitars, little Squire practice amp, and Nick Lowe reissues Yep Roc lunchbox

Elac B6 speakers in the front, currently playing Miles Davis On The Corner MFSL SACD.

Cabinets by Can-Am: Can-Am CD Storage Cabinets, DVD Storage Cabinets, File Cabinets, AV Electronics Cabinets, Stereo Cabinets, TV Stands, Metal Cabinets and Home Theater Furniture for CD DVD VHS Storage

Shelves by Boltz: CD and DVD Storage Racks, TV Stands and Modern Beds | Boltz Steel Furniture

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  21. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Nice! But that cat is a distraction (just like real life). ;)
    Do you find that the Elacs obliterate the price to performance line, as widely claimed?

22. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

In a word: Yes.

I have two systems. One is Polk 5 speaker surround, including stereo pair of tower speakers capable of going down to 26 Hz. Plus Denon flagship receiver and $1,300 Oppo universal player.

Where do I do 99% of my listening ever since getting Elac speakers about a year ago? You guessed it: I'd rather listen to older Denon mid-range receiver, Denon disc player, Thorens turntable, and Elac speakers than a different system easily costing over twice as much.

Craig.

23. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

A lot of Deutsche Grammophon in that collection I see. I love it!

crispi and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  24. DeepFloyd11

Thank you! They are great, and I am so lucky to have found so many in great shape for next to nothing. But I must say - as a general rule, my Philips Dutch pressings top it all in terms of sound quality. They are simply amazing.

crispi likes this.
  25. DeepFloyd11

Kitty cat!!!! :love:
    Is he (she) well behaved? No attacking the records shelves and trying to scratch the spines?|