Show us your CD & Vinyl Collections..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by brownsound2112, Jan 29, 2018.

1. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

The Kallax shelves can definitely handle the weight of the records. Same deal when people load them up with books.

2. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

I was flexing my creative fiction muscles, guys, they’re blanks from Sleeve City. :D

Eric_Generic likes this.
  3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Figured as much. So now the question is, why do you have all those blank sleeves?
    Inquiring minds want to know

4. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Yes, just bolt them to the wall so they don't fall forward or torque sideways. But I've been using the older Expedit for years and years, they were virtually built to hold vinyl

5. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

How boring.

-------

About a third of my collection is depicted on my avatar.

Xabby, Extract and Man at C&A like this.
  6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Absolutely. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Because eventful and hard drives do not mix.

Xabby and Man at C&A like this.
  7. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's most of it anyways.

Pop_Zeus, bluesky, ccbarr and 16 others like this.
  8. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

That looks like my "before" picture.

10. Joyoo

Joyoo Senior Member

My record collection:

[​IMG]

Got a problem though, cabinet is full..

And the cd's:

[​IMG]

A total of about 2000 albums

bluesky, ccbarr, GerryO and 8 others like this.
  11. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

My step-daughter took this pic when she was visiting last month. Her wide-angle lens does the little 10' x 10' space proud... the remaining footprint in front of the CD cabinets and LP shelving is about 8' x 10'.
    [​IMG]

I have about 10,000 CD's in the Can-Am cabinets.

12. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Glorious! It's a rare Icehouse collection that has two copies of Masterfile but no Code Blue or Big Wheel! :)

Eric_Generic and c-eling like this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

:laugh:
    Are they worthy tracking down Morgan? I should check out the album tunes :)

14. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Rekkids, and some CDs. The top is rock and pop. The bottom is jazz, Sinatra and Classical.

[​IMG]

Those guys. The vinyl box set contents are in the first picture.

[​IMG]

CDs. The contents of the Beatles CD Stereo Box are in this picture along with rock, jazz, blues, everything except classical.

[​IMG]

More non-classical CDs.

[​IMG]

My commercial release Classical CDs I have about 20 years of Classical CDs from the BBC Music Magazine in a cabinet in another room

[​IMG]

ccbarr, GerryO, Mylene and 9 others like this.
  15. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

They aren't like the glory days, but if you're an Icehouse fan you should probably have them. Code Blue had some terrible singles, but the album tracks are amazing. If you can find the 2002 reissue that isn't brickwalled there is a demo of "Where the River Meets the Sea" that blows the album version out of the water. Big Wheel is definitely "meh." There are some crazy backwards guitar effects, though. Only a couple really good songs.
    Icehouse - Code Blue

And you DEFINITELY need the Berlin album which is Iva doing covers of David Bowie, Simple Minds, etc, and the Ghost of Time album which is just like a huge, proggy Great Southern Land maxi single with some elements that later turned into Iva's score for the Master and Commander movie.

Iva Davies & Icehouse - The Berlin Tapes
    Iva Davies - The Ghost Of Time

Ok, sorry about the detour. Back to the collection photos!

c-eling likes this.
  16. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I love seeing the Can-Am cabinets. You have fit 10,000 CDs into those 8 drawers? That seems like more than I expected would fit into 8 drawers. I have 16 drawers and 12 of them are packed to the gills with CDs (the other 4 drawers hold my DVDs and Blu-Rays), and as many as possible have been removed from the jewel cases and put into thin plastic sleeves ... !

Also, I love how there's a row of 45s in the middle of those vinyl shelves. Aesthetically pleasing to look at.

17. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Is that The Cure- Join the Dots that I see on top of the CD shelving thingamajig in that second photo? If so... :righton: :love: :bdance:

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  18. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I have three four-drawer units (the one to the left is behind the speaker, the gear is centered in the wall unit). I transferred all of my CD's from jewel cases to "Jazzloft" vinyl sleeves, which saves a lot of space. It may be more like 9,500 with box sets and sundry [above] pushing it up to 10K.

I counted the number of CD's that I have in a typical drawer unit and was surprised that I have close to 10K in the Can-Ams.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    pscreed likes this.
  19. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Ah, thanks so much!! That sounds much closer to what I figure is the capacity of these Can-Am cabinets.

I probably could fit even more in mine if I were willing to replace more "specialized" jewel cases with slim plastic sleeves, such as "Super Jewel Cases" (SACDs), "lift-lock cases" (DCC, MFSL), etc. But I just can't bring myself to do that. Only have replaced the standard CD jewel cases -- and even then I hope I don't regret tossing out all-clear CD cases, or cases with special color trays (one key exception: I kept all my Rykodisc green-tray jewel cases).

20. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

It feels so good to browse through this thread and think "I'm not the only crazy person after all...." :D

GerryO, bigdoug920, Runicen and 2 others like this.
  21. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I like the Jazzloft sleeves and have no regrets about getting rid of the jewel cases. It was done purely for space saving reasons in NYC, but I really like the feel of them, handling 15 or 20 CD's in my hands.

22. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

This is a very well-done setup. And I love how you have the 'easier to put in drawers' CDs stowed away, and the vinyl is what dominates the shelves.

Is that counter granite? If so, nice touch.

23. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Thanks.

Yes, it's granite. I'm having trouble remembering what I paid the carpenter and stone worker back in early-2017, but with the then-current exchange rate, I'm thinking it was about $1,200 combined... a fraction of what it would have cost in NYC.

It's funny, I chose the dark grey color for the Can-Am cabinets before leaving NYC (where they were delivered from Canada shortly before our relocation). After I got to Turkey, I decided to do the LP shelving in black. I chose the granite because it had a transitional mix... gray and black speckles. It was a crappy piece of granite with a lot of occlusions and defects, but I told the stone worker [through a translator] that I only cared about the front 5-inches that would be visible in front of the shelves. He cut it accordingly. I was very happy with the results, and the price was a bargain. The stone mason was happy to get rid of a granite slab that nobody would have chosen for a kitchen counter or bathroom vanity... a win/win all around. The defects are all buried underneath my LP's!

I love the Can-Am cabinets for my CD's. Drawers are definitely the way to go for compact discs.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    pscreed likes this.
  24. JSUB

JSUB Forum Resident

For those of you with thousands of cds is there any consensus shelving that works best? Ikea seems to be common for lps, wasn't sure about cds.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  25. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

It's helpful to show the wife this thread and claim ' See, I'm not that bad'