Shriekback fans, stand up and be counted

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomman888, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Anyone get the new Oil and Gold remaster?

2. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

No.

The bonus choices are ok for newbies - but at least two remixes (and possibly two of the live tunes?) were already released on The Dancing Years, so not as good for people who already bought The Dancing Years compilation.

What would be remarkable is if the Nemesis Extended Remix -- which I believe has not been on CD before -- is the version with the Marlon Brando Apocalypse Now dialogue or not ("It's impossible to describe in words what is necessary..."), since I seem to recall that 12" was, um, recalled due to rights issues. It had a chicken foot on the cover and was a bit more sedate than the Arch Deviant remix. If that is the version, the new 2CD may be worth getting. Report back, if you get it.

3. spillred

spillred Forum Resident

Both 12" remixes of Nemesis are on the new 2CD re-release.

The Extended Mix with the Brando dialogue did appear on CD a couple of times before (Classic Alternatives and Richard Blade's Flashback Favorites series) but it sounds much better on the reissue.

I prefer the Arch-Deviant Mix which also has some movie dialogue in it - from Mean Streets "The pain of hell, the burn from a lighted match increased a million times. Infinite, and you don't f##k around with the infinite. There's no way you do that"

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Here's a cool clip I found on YouTube of a rare Shriekback track called Captain Cook. It makes me want to explore these guys further, though I'm not really sure which way to go, since their early stuff is so hard to come by. Hopefully, we'll see more reissues in the pipeline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46mVYMYw5ZM&feature=feedlik

5. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

The spoken word part sounds suspiciously like Robyn Hitchcock.

6. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Interesting track. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, when I think about the flood of reissues that come out monthly, it's hard to fathom somebody can't see it as
    worthwhile to put out the early stuff. Maybe there are legal issues which would make it difficult to pull off.

7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

You're right, only it's a little too comprehensible. Not enough talk about mating with vegetables.

8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I bought the new Oil and Gold. I don't have the original CD issue, so I don't have any point of comparison except for a needledrop that I did many years ago with the LP.

It sounds quite good, much cleaner than my needledrop, and certainly not brickwalled although there may be some compression.

At least one of the B-side tracks on the bonus disk sounds like it was vinyl-sourced.

deredordica likes this.
  9. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

This is the amazing track from the great movie Manhunter , this piece is perfectly suited to the movie.
    I have this track in the cd oil and Gold

Shriekback- The Big Hush

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  10. Front 242 Addict

I love this band
    I discovered the music of this fascinating band a few years ago from watching the movie Manhunter,
    Most of the band's material I bought on records due to the fact that the early material is very rare on cds or you can find the music only on records ---Tench, Care , Jam Science and Big Night
    I have Gold and Oil on the original US cd and most of their music from 1992 up to 2010 on cds.

a big favorite

11. Front 242 Addict

Hubris is such a beautiful song, the emotional vocals combined with the beautiful and the melancholic synthesizer sounds create a perfect song , I have this track on lp and I also wish that someday this amazing song will be found on cd.

12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Isn't "Jam Science" on CD? Woah! IF this band was more well-known their would have been a deluxe version of this album including both vinyl version plus b-sides AGES AGO. As it is... I really love this band especially their stuff up to "Go Bang".

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  13. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

Saw them at the Brixton Fridge, mid eighties, a brilliant show, especially the manic ending to Nemesis.... love that song....I still play vinyl Jam Science, Oil and Gold and Big Night Music from time to time, but the 12 inch of My Spine is still my favourite track....what an amazing band.

Jam Science the best album, you think?

Achtung! Take it away!!

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  14. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

The 2010 album, Life in the Loading Bay, is every bit as good as the classic early stuff. Don't miss it.

15. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

16. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

The big question is which Jam Science? I'm assuming the one the band didn't disown!

I've actually just finished digitizing all of their early releases on Y, trying to account for all the different mixes and so forth, and I think it boils down to three discs worth of stuff. Some queries remain, however:

Tench and early singles (and remixes):
    - Tench mini-LP (6 tracks)
    - Sexthinkone (7" remix and 12" remix versions) N.B. the version of 'Here Comes My Handclap' on the single is credited as a 'Disc O'Dell Remix', but it sounds absolutely identical to the album version to me. Am I missing something, or was that description just mistakenly applied to that track instead of the 7" version of 'Sexthinkone', which IS a remix, presumably by O'Dell?
    - My Spine Is the Bass Line (7" edit and 12" full-length versions) / Tiny Birds / Feelers
    - Despite Dense Weed (from Birth of the Y compilation)
    - Accretions (Monstrous Dance Mix) (from Lined Up /My Spine 12")
    - Accretions (remix) (from The Infinite compilation - I can't find an earlier release of this actually on Y records - any clues? I have a 7" where 'My Spine' is backed by 'Accretions', but it's the original mix from Tench that's used on that.)

There's also apparently a remixed 'Mothloop' ('Mothloop II') from a compilation cassette, but I don't have it.

Care and related mixes:
    Care LP (10 tracks)
    - Lined Up (7" edit, 12" disco and instrumental versions from original 7" and 12"; 7" remix and Sinuous Dance Mix from rereleased Lined Up / My Spine 7" and 12")
    - Into Method (Planet Mix) (from Lined Up / My Spine 12")
    - Madness Into Method (remix) (from The Infinite compilation. As with 'Accretions' above, I can't figure out where or if this was previously released.)

Jam Science 1.0 and final Y single:
    Jam Science LP (Y version, 8 tracks)
    Working on the Ground (7" and 12" versions) / Closework / Nightwork

Reconstructing this from memory: I think this is everything they released at the time.

Front 242 Addict and Echo like this.
  17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The Arista version of course, the Y edition was put out without the band's approval.

18. RollinHard843

RollinHard843 Forum Resident

I enjoy Oil and Gold quite a bit, but didn't like much of anything on Big Night Music. I bought a 12" of something from before Oil and Gold but I didn't like it that much either. I don't know if I'm a fan or not, but I definitely enjoy their louder, more extroverted songs on Oil and Gold the best.

19. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Carl Marsh's solo album is one of my favorite albums ever!

It's a very Shriekback record with the lineup including Marsh, Martyn Barker, Mike Cozzi, Steve Halliwell, and Lu Edmonds.

20. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I was going to say the same thing.

beatlesfan68 likes this.
  21. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

You might like the Arista Jam Science, which is pretty brash in the same way. I don't much like that album (and prefer the more 'primitive' version of it on Y), and my favourite period of the band is the Tench / Care one, which skews much more strongly to the quiet / eerie / weird side of the spectrum (think 'This Big Hush', 'Faded Flowers', 'Coelacanth' from Oil and Gold). But you'll probably enjoy 'My Spine (Is the Bass Line)', which is the prototype for the extroverted side of the band.

22. RollinHard843

RollinHard843 Forum Resident

Thanks for the pointers! :tiphat:

23. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

For sale now on shriekback website. They admit Jam Science is mastered from vinyl so it's probably the same CD they were selling a few years ago. I bought it then and it sounds pretty horrible.

24. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

Yes and it sounds excellent - way way better than the original US CD. Replay gain value is -3.73, not loud at all. Lots of bottom end which the original CD was missing.

25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Got the new 2CD 'Jam Science' set in the mail today.

It's definitely homemade - no record company name anywhere, no catalog #, no bar code. The photos from the inner sleeve are there, but no lyrics and no track-by-track info. The rear cover of the LP is the disc one label. All the songwriting credits and label info is absent. New liner notes from Marsh and Andrews

It's a pretty clean vinyl transfer, too. Maybe a little (okay; a lot) louder than I'd like, but surface noise isn't really an issue (except for some crackles in 'Achtung') and, if NR was used, it was apparently used sparingly.

deredordica and vonwegen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.