Shuggie Otis - "Inter-Fusion" new album coming April 20, 2018 ft. Carmine Appice and Tony Franklin

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Feb 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

From another forum:

"The new fusion rock project from guitar legend, Shuggie Otis! Features commanding drummer Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge / Beck Bogert & Appice) and stellar bassist Tony Franklin (The Firm / Roy Harper)!"

Tracklist
    1. Aphelion
    2. Get A Grip
    3. Ice Cold Daydream
    4. Interlude
    5. Woman
    6. Sweet Surrender
    7. Clear Power
    8. V8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079PHKJF6

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

He played my High School in 1973. His band was fantastic!

SG47, Scope J, rstamberg and 12 others like this.
  3. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

With a new version of "Ice Cold Daydream"....interesting.

4. I saw him live in 2013, and I'm not surprised that it's going to be a jazz fusion thing...

5. jlf

I'm intrigued by that one, too. I wonder why "Ice Cream Party", that song from an RSD single from 2014 or so, wasn't included. Maybe it is and it's been mis-titled? Time will tell...

AlienRendel likes this.
  6. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Shuggie is close to the last living artist that I thought would be putting out an album at this point. I hope it's good. Inspiration Information is hard to beat!

7. Lownote30

The original is so great! I don't know that it can be improved upon. Odd choice for a new album.

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It sounds like he is going for something completely 180 degrees away from his early-70s direction, hence the old tune with new arrangement. Should be an interesting listen! Love me some Shuggie

9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Saw him a few years ago and show was surprisingly great. Very happy to have more new music from him after the enjoyable, but uneven Wings Of Love hodgepodge.

Lownote30 and jlf like this.
  10. jlf

Yeah! He was teasing a new album in a couple interviews a few years back which must have yielded at least "Ice Cream Party" (imo a kinda forgettable track). I'm excited to hear how this new one turns out!

11. Dok

Dok Senior Member

[​IMG]

Coming April 20th

12. I preordered it. Love S.O.

13. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I too saw him perform a couple years back and I don't remember being blown away but nor do I remember much about what it actually sounded like. Had a great star encounter there as dancing with abandon a few feet from me was John Lydon.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

This might be interesting.

15. Lownote30

With Carmine Appice and Tony Franklin playing with him, I doubt it will sound anything like Ice Cream Party.

16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

18. jlf

I'm wondering if that album project that he was talking about in 2015-2016 got abandoned and replaced with this fusion album. "Ice Cream Party" was released as a single to get word out about the new album they had planned but that was years ago and "Ice Cream Party" doesn't appear on the Inner-Fusion tracklist. Hmmm...

nojasa likes this.
  19. Surprising that no one has chimed in yet with a review. I played it through once and my initial reaction is I’m disappointed with the SQ. Drums and bass are flat and lifeless and the keys are lost in the mix too. I thought maybe something was going on with my gear but alas it’s the recording. Even Shuggie’s guitar sounds dull. With a Tony Franklin and Carmine Appice rhythm section this disc had the potential (at least on paper) to be an amazing sounding album. The the music is inspiring, but the mix, by Aaron Kaplan at Fritz studio is anything but. The studio is aptly named because it makes it sound like your system is ‘on the fritz!’

20. Dok

Dok Senior Member

What samples I heard on Amazon and a few songs on youtube sounded like what you are describing. I was wondering if the disc would sound better but apparently not! To be honest I wasn't sure the music was that inspiring either but it could have been my then current state of mind. Disappointing to hear about the SQ.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  21. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I gave it a listen and I like Shuggie but this for me is a pass.

22. liboriofriki

liboriofriki Forum Resident

Am I the only one that absolutely loves this album?

23. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I'm not real impressed with the redo of Ice Cold Daydream, but I like the rest of the album.

It's on You-Tube now.

24. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Not feeling this at all.

It sounds like a demonstration record in a hi-fi shop, or the background music on Man Vs. Food.

Seriously, play 'Get A Grip' and imagine Adam Richman saying something over it like 'I'm here in Detroit Michigan, home of the gigantic spicy BBQ waffle wings platter, and I'm gonna take on their mega-platter challenge!"

(Confession: whenever I get access to a TV (I don't have one at home), the first thing I do is check the food channel for episodes of Man Vs Food. I love that show. )

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.