Shunyata PS8 with Defender Review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

About three weeks ago I received the Shunyata PS8, their entry level power strip which becomes a line conditioner on par with a Hydra when you plug in the Defender, a circuit with 30 filters embedded. In addition to the Defender, I received a Venom HC which is the 20 amp 10 gauge version of the Venom cord and one that had been specifically designed to connect the power strip to the wall. The outlet is an Oyaide GX+ I received from Tonepub connected to a 10 gauge Romex dedicated line to the switch box. This device replaced a Monster Cable HTS-5000 I had used before and had been out of the system for about a month. I also ordered the Stainless Steel Feet option (SSF) which look gorgeous although I do not have the desire to remove them to hear any sonic effect.

Shunyata recommends putting in around 5 full days of burn-in (running a fan) which I did but really only got to serious listening after two weeks of use. I did notice big changes immediately and then a nice increase after the first week. Once I had a handle on that, I plugged in the Defender at the outlet (per Shunyata recommendation) and so we have two weeks of use on the Defender. The Defender was a little grainy sounding at first then smoothed out, just as Shunyata said would be the case.

Fit and Finish: As one might expect from a $700 power strip ;) this is exceptionally well made. Fine parts from Hubbell cryo'ed outlets to better IEC connector. You have to see the stainless/brushed aluminum look in person. It's very beautiful for a power conditioner. The Venom HC is beefy and well made with beautiful semi-clear connectors on the end. The build quality is simply A+, particularly at this price point.

Bottom Line on Sound Quality: This is an amazing device which dramatically lowered the noise floor of my system. As a result I can hear more of everything. It also cleaned up some hashy sounding noise in the high frequency area which I would hear on certain digital tracks. Some detailed observations, most of which stem from the lower noise floor:

**Very clear, open sound all around. Convinced the noise floor has dropped significantly.
    **Much more bass out of the 1.7s now. Really fantastic. Although my speakers don't go below 42hz, this is more than I have been hearing.
    **Imaging seems to have improved. On some tracks where there is distant percussion, it now seem more solid.
    **Pacing seems better. Things feel a little more "lively" but not in a hifi way, more natural.
    **Lots of detail on guitar recordings. I was listening to Paul Simon's first solo effort and the guitars were so natural.
    **My classical recordings (mostly cello/violin/piano) sound closer to the live performance.

I hope those of you considering this device will find this review helpful. Note that sometimes MusicDirect will offer up package deals with a little bit of a discount.

Overall, this product has exceeded my fairly high expectations. Seems every time a plug in a Shunyata cable or device the sound gets better. Not a bad record of performance.

Thanks Caelin and team. Highest recommendation. I bought the review sample. ;) I kid.

Tommyboy and VinylRob like this.
  2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I know you have had a lot of luck with Shunyata products however I got next to no benefit from adding their cables or even the Hydra Alpha conditioner.

I wrote it off to the fact that maybe older equipment because less emphasis was placed on power supply design may have benefited more.

However I recently replaced the Hydra with a Running Springs Jaco and Mongoose cable with immediately noticeable results. The music flowed more freely with less grain in the highs. Both instrumental attack and decay were noticeably improved, probably the result of lowering the noise floor.

The Hydra was a veritable feather weight next to the 50 pound Jaco.

It's obvious that both companies approach power conditioning from a different design perspective.

3. LeeS

I don't what to tell you Tom but most of my gear has very good power supplies, especially the Reference 3 preamp. I really don't believe it has anything to do with that. I'm just honestly reporting what I have heard. Many others here like Puma Cat have gotten good results like myself with each power cord replacement with a Shunyata product. Puma has fine gear as well.

The improvements you describe such as instrumental attack/decay and less grain in the highs (I mentioned that above) are what I experienced with the PS8.

I'm sure the Running Springs stuff is good but you don't hear too much about them anymore in the audio press. It seems Shunyata and Synergistic are getting all the glory. In fact the PS8/Defender combination just got AC Power Conditioner of the Year in The Absolute Sound.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  4. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Thanks for the review.

I am dragging my feet on starting some stereo room upgrades and I think that power is going to be the next thing that I address (that or speakers).

LeeS likes this.
  5. LeeS

You are most welcome. I have been surprised how important power is for the best sound. It's much more important than I expected.

6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Well I guess if that matters to you more then it's fine.

7. LeeS

What matters to me is the sound quality and I think such an award is recognition how good it is.

But at the end of the day if it improves my system then I am happy.

whaleyboy likes this.
  8. LeeS

I should make an observation on price. The PS8 with 8 plugs is $700, the Defender is $200 and you probably want the $300 Venom HC. So $1,200 gets you the whole setup which is well below a Hydra AV at $3K with 8 plugs, or the Triton at $5K (more filtering). So I think Shunyata has done a nice job of creating an affordable line conditioner. The Running Springs Jaco is $3,600 to $4,600 depending on configuration.

If you want the stainless steel feet (elegant spikes and stainless steel discs to buffer the spikes), it's another $200 for the four you need. They are very easy to install.

I should add that I have tried a variety of PS Audio products and did not reach this level of improvement.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    Fritz Fernow likes this.
  9. CarterB

CarterB Well-Known Member

I only have a 15amp outlet, will the PS8 work with that or does it require a 20amp?

10. LeeS

I think it will work but you might reach out to Grant at Shunyata and get his opinion to be sure.

P.S. The customer service at Shunyata is fantastic.

rbbert likes this.
  11. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Hi Lee, did you notice if the fan cooled the room better with the PS8 than with the stock outlet? :D

12. LeeS

The air just seemed to flow through the room better. Very natural like a Bahama breeze.

:winkgrin:

beowulf likes this.
  13. LeeS

Listening now to Dialoghi with Elinor Frey playing cello, Bach Suite No. 1*. Whereas the "rosiny" sound of the bow was always evident, now there is more definition and weight to the cello body, presumably due to the lower noise floor from the PS8/Defender.

*Steve did the CD mastering for this from a live to two track 24/176 recording from 2007 (Yarlung Records). It's really special. Pick it up if you don't already have it.

14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's true, and there have been issues at Running Springs. I think it was taken back into the parent company or something.

At the time when Running Springs were the audiophile darling they cost more than Shunyata.

LeeS likes this.
  15. Metralla

I've been running a Maxim with the Mongoose cable for a number of years. I have read that a good improvement can be obtained with the higher end cable - the HZ Crown Jewel. It was too expensive for me when I bought my Maxim to shell out for that. This cord was originally made by CH Acoustic and then under licence by Running Springs. I am contemplating going to the source

http://chacoustic.com/gallery1.html

16. Metralla

I think Shunyata have been conscious of the high prices of some of their stuff (like the Hydra) and have made an effort to introduce quality products at a lower price level. I applaud them for that.

LeeS likes this.
  17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

When I look at the details of the PS8, I see an expensive (but well-built) power "tap" with a breaker. Shunyata calls this a "simple but high quality approach to power distribution" [sic], but I don't see any technology that lends itself to impacting sonics. No AC regeneration, no THD filtering, no AC noise reduction, no voltage stabilization, etc. Not even any surge protection!

Based on the simple design, what do we think/expect is improving bass, imaging, etc.?

18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Lee, did you plug the Defender into the first outlet on the PS8 or into the other wall plug?

I would think a 15 amp circuit would work as long as the components plugged into the strip don't draw more than that.

19. LeeS

The Defender is the key as it has the same filtration as the new Hydras. However the PS8 alone can impact sound by just being a very high quality power distributor.

20. LeeS

Sam,

Shunyata has a less is more approach in some ways. I think they also wanted an option for adding in more outlets to those with an existing conditioner.

On my system the PS8 made a difference then another improvement came a week later when the Defender went in.

21. LeeS

Wall outlet.

22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I'm not sure how the PS8 without the Defender is different than plugging straight into the wall outlet.

23. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Why? Isn't Shunyata's recommendation into the first outlet of the PS8 as per their website illustration and text?

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

More outlets, I understand. 'Less is more' translating to better bass, etc., is where I'm lost.

Me neither.

25. LeeS

Oh forgot to answer Sam's points completely.

For surge protection there is a Carling breaker in PS8 and protection in Defender as well.

Sound quality is from afaik lower noise floor and less HF noise which is helping imaging I believe.

I just know it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.