Shunyata PS8 with Defender Review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

mwheelerk and mikemoon like this.
  2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

That's exactly what it said to me. I thought it might work as well.

3. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

4. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

After speaking with Music Direct, I was advised to plug the amp power cord into the duplex and the defender and all other components into the PS8 into the same duplex as the amp. He suggested this was most effective. I would only be using 3 outlets on the PS8 at this point (phono/turntable/defender) but I'm sure I will need more later with future AV needs and a DAC.

I'm not an expert but I did inquire how it offered protection. He explained it and it made sense but still left me a little confused. He seemed very knowledgeable and more technical and less about just selling the product. I've had this upgrade on my mind for over a year now and I plan to call back Monday and will likely put in an order.

This is what I plan on purchasing:
    PS8/Defender/HC Venom Power Cable/SS Feet
    Defender Power Cable for power amp (Audio Research VSI60)
    SR Z-1 Outlet
    2- pair of Audioquest Columbia interconnects

jh901 likes this.
  5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Get back to us with your listening impressions when you have your new power delivery gear

6. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I certainly will but I have to be honest, I'm probably not the best with gear reviews. I usually keep my a$$ in the music forum where I belong.:laugh:

I think Lee S and others have done a great job providing feedback and information on here. I'm going to have the wife sit with me too and observe as she my be more non-biased than myself and likely a better. I'm interested to hear the results.

I will have to get an electrician to install the outlet and maybe tighten up the breaker as mentioned earlier by Grant.

7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'll confirm with Shunyata as I'd be interested to try my power amp directly into the SR Z1.

mikemoon likes this.
  8. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Hi Mike, have you had a chance to evaluate the PS8/Defender? If so, would be interested to hear your thoughts. Looks like MD right now has a pretty nice package deal on the PS8/Defender/Venon-HC/stainless steel feet. I've got an electrician coming over tomorrow to go over options on a dedicated line(s), and if that works, thinking that this package might be the next step. Thanks.

9. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Music Direct is offering a package deal with a PS 8, Venom 3 HC power cable, and defender for r $995. If I didn't have a Hydra I'd be all over that deal. I suspect a revised model will be out soon.

mikemoon and beowulf like this.
  10. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Yes, I got that email too. Either that or they are making room for their mid-tier product coming out called the Venom MPC-12. The MPC-12 is actually the piece I'm most interested in within their line up (and that I'm saving my pennies for).

At $2495 it has 6 outlets for analog components that are based on the same tech as the Hydra Triton and 6 outlets for digital components that are based on the same tech as the DPC-6 and comes with a Venom HC as well. At $2495 it isn't exactly cheap, but I believe the tech is a good step up above the Defender/PS8 combo making it's performance on par with the Triton/DPC-6 level.

This is actually a perfect fit for my needs as I have exactly 6 digital and 6 analog components (actually I have only 4 analog components at this time, but I need the other 2 for expansion later on).

[​IMG]

ellingtonic and jfeldt like this.
  11. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

As discussed the $995 is a nice deal!

Wow 12 outlets, the 8 I have on the Ps8 are too much for me currently but it leaves some room to grow. I'm only using 3 of them at the moment. The picture above looks nice but way out of my range.

12. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm curious as to what solutions others have used for plugging in wall warts. I have two external HDD plugged into the PS8 having used IEC female to male adaptor and a Shunyata 6" burn in cable.

13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I might go for this. Is there a less pricey model with, say, 3 and 3 outlets? Maybe I can sell my Defender/PS8/HC combo on the forum.

14. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

While I can see the need for a smaller unit for those who don't have as many components as I do, I haven't heard of anything coming down the pipe line for a condensed version, but if its as big of a hit as I think it's going to be ~ who knows? It could happen, just doubtful anytime soon.

They are also coming out with a newer model Triton V2 that is a 1 box unit that will closely match the Triton/Typhon combo in performance, but since it only uses one box it will be less expensive than the 2 box solution they have now. It has newly designed "Coppercon" receptacles that look pretty interesting and which are said to be a significant upgrade compared to the SR-Z1 receptacles hat will still be used in the PS8 and MPC-12 . I'm unsure of the cost on this one though.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    jh901 likes this.
  15. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I agree, those darn wall warts take up to much space. I'm not sure if there is an engineering problem with turning the receptacle a quarter turn for wall warts. That being said here is an alternative or helper in a sense for those with wall warts that was recently brought to my attention and that I never even thought of using before.

Simple, but should work just fine:
    [​IMG]

16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have a couple of those types of extension cords hanging off the expansion board that serves the DSL modem and router. They are great

beowulf likes this.
  17. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson Active Member

Just got my Shunyata PS8 Bundle delivered.

Taking this thing out of the box, one really has to admire the care and craftmanship that went into putting the unit together.
    metal

As far as this stuff goes, it really was a fantastic deal. The metal spike feet were a 200 dollar purchase that I never would have made on its own, so throwing them and a defender in makes this whole thing cake!

ellingtonic, mikemoon and beowulf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.