Shure, Audio Technica, or Ortofon Carts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Mar 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been planning to get a new turntable (preferrably direct drive) and I was wondering if I were to get one very soon, what would be a good Shure, AT, or Ortofon cart to get? (Any other makes and models, please let me know!) I've been thinking about either a Shure M44-7, an Audio Technica AT440MLb, or an Ortofon OM5E or 2M Blue. I would look at Grado, but I'm not sure what to get from them (not sure to buy from the Prestige or Reference classes). Here's what I listen to-1970s-1990s rock (Aerosmith, Queen, AC/DC, KISS, you get the drill), I also listen to 1980s pop, and I am planning to get a couple of blues/jazz albums in the future. I like bass detail, instrument separation (a wide soundstage is a different term I suppose), and stereo separation. I like my mids and highs, but I don't want too much of them. If anyone can help, post a comment. :help:

Heckto35 likes this.
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Jeez, there's quite a wide difference between a Shure M44-7, Audio Technica AT440MLb, Ortofon OM5E and Ortofon 2M Blue.

The Shure will have the beefiest sound but with less detail due the conical stylus, and the AT will be very detailed and precise, but somewhat forward/clinical. I haven't heard the Ortofons.

3. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

For your stated preferences i would favour the Audio Technica.

4. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

I have a 2M Blue on my direct drive and would get another one again. Tracks great & detailed for lower mid priced cart.

Licorice pizza and Wounded Land like this.
  5. youraveragevinylcollector

Do you know of any upgrade styli for the Shure?

6. action pact

Why not just get an m97xe?

theron d, DLD and ssmith3046 like this.
  7. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Ortofon! :agree:

Spsesq and Heckto35 like this.
  8. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Not Ortofon OM'5'. that's bottom of the line, '20' is often considered a good cost compromise point,

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Shure M35X. Best $40 you'll spend. It will shock you.

The Pinhead and theron d like this.
  10. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I've done Shure (M97xe), and found it dreadfully dull . AT (440, 120) family is much better but sometimes bright/tizzy. Ortofons (OM 20, FF15xe) are just right.

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. youraveragevinylcollector

Tad bit too dull souning for my liking (and also, I know it's a phono cartridge, but the M97XE is just ugly.)

VinylSoul likes this.
  12. youraveragevinylcollector

Also, I'm looking for products that are still being produced, so I won't have to pay a pretty penny for a discontinued cart.

13. action pact

Gotcha.

Add the Shure M35X to your short list. It's really good... and cheap!

ShawnMcCann and McLover like this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And also, the Ortofon OM line is worth considering. More rugged, and outtracks 2M line all day long. And far more versatile with lots of stylus options.

Heckto35 likes this.
  15. youraveragevinylcollector

Please, explain. The OM 20 is discontinued, and I have only seen the OM 5 and 10, I haven't seen any other styli on their website (I haven't looked very far on their website, however.)

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Styli for many OM are still available HiFi and DJ. And you can get difficult to find ones from Thakker in Germany (Germans didn't do 2M, as it was a downgrade) and from the UK and even USA. Lower end OM upgradable by stylus change (the S-120 Serato and QBert the exception)

17. youraveragevinylcollector

Sadly I don't feel like spending that much for a stylus, or have the budget for a replacement stylus (unless it lasts for a really long time, I think I've heard that the MLa/b last around 1000 hours.) However, judging by the reviews on multiple sites on the Shure M44-7 (and the really cheap price for a stylus), I think I might go with that.But there's one last thing about all carts we have mentioned. Which one is the best in getting rid of IGD? The cart may sound good, but if it causes IGD, it completely urks me.

Heckto35 likes this.
  18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My OM styli put up with my spasticity, my wood floors, and my clumsy movements. They perform to high standards. Which would kill an Audio-Technica stylus quickly. If an OM tolerates me, you'll get 1000 hours easily from OM 10 and up with no issues.

Curiosity and Heckto35 like this.
  19. russk

russk Forum Resident

2m Blue and the Denon DL-110 are the two best cartridges in what I think is your price range IMO. The Shures are beefy, thick, good bass, romantic sounding cartridges, the ATs are very lean and detailed which leads to criticisms of being bright, I've heard the OM5 and OM20 quite a bit. The OM20 and 2m Blue sound almost identical to me. The 2m series is just designed with Rega arms and more modern arms in mind.

The 2m Blue is a great tracker, no sibilance or IGD problems, great bass, very good detail and amazing midrange.

The Denon DL-110 is a great tracker, no sibilance or IGD problems, great tuneful bass and amazingly sweet (almost romantic midrange when compared to the ortofons), good detail and deals a little better with surface noise (when compared to the 2m Blue). It's a high output moving coil cartridge so it's out put is on the low side for a moving magnet phono stage which means you have to take a little care when matching it to a phono pre.

Both are great cartridges and I can think of a cartridge (outside of a Denon DL 103 but that opens up a hole new can of worms) under 400-500 dollars that beats them.

20. youraveragevinylcollector

I have heard that the DL-110 is better than the AT-440MLa because the MLa seems too harsh to brass instruments, and cymbals. As for a turntable, I'm thinking a 1980s direct drive, like a Technics or Pioneer, something with a nice stock tonearm and excellent build and under $250. I plan to get a tube preamp (but I have no idea where to look), and I have no mounting equipment for a cart (I've never needed it), so, you do have a point with the DL-110, because I digitise most of my albums, and I don't want any distortion going on. I however checked the price of the DL-110, way out of my price range. About $150 is my absolute max.

21. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

If you have zero tolerance for IGD, then the relatively "fat" 0.7 mil conical styli on the cheaper Shures (M44-7, M35x, etc.) will definitely not satisfy you, especially considering the type of rock you listen to. I love the overall sound of the Shure M35X (the same 0.7 mil conical) but cleanly playing back inner grooves is not its strength at all. But that's where an AT440MLb would really shine. Even something like an AT95E with its basic elliptical stylus would produce less distortion during inner groove play than the M44-7. If you can get an Ortofon 2M Blue in your price range, that's a great all-around option for a current cartridge that does a lot of things right. Audio-Technica AT120EB is another option.

22. youraveragevinylcollector

Honestly, the worst records I own that are prone to IGD are Aerosmith's Permanent Vacation, Queen's Greatest Hits and the 2014 reissue of Innuendo. Does the M44-7 do any better with sybilance (hope I'm spelling that correctly) than the LP-60 turntable? EDIT: What are some key differences between the 440MLa, the 120EB, or the 95E (which some say the 120 is better than)? I don't want too punchy of bass, and yet I want the bass definition and wide soundstage/instrument separation, which of these three are best overall (without being too bassy or bright?)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  23. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I have the Audio Technica AT150MLX [one step up from the 440MLa] on an SL1200MKII and I use a loading capacitance kit to tame the brightness. I'm very, very happy with this combo. I imagine you'd get similarly good results with the 440MLa. 70's-80's rock sounds great on my system. IGD is non-existant with the 150MLX and I have read that the 440 is equally good in this regard.

Heckto35, Jrr, Licorice pizza and 3 others like this.
  24. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I loved the detail and low distortion offered by the 440MLa, but it didn't play well with the rest of my system. It sounded like any vinyl imperfections were amplified and I found it very distracting. Rather than trying to replace my preamp (an admittedly low end Cambridge Audio 540p) or modify it to better accommodate the AT cartridge, I picked up an Ortofon 2M Bronze and couldn't be happier. I'm getting wonderful, distortion free playback without the distracting over-emphasized pops and ticks.

Heckto35 likes this.
  25. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

The source for all things vinyl:

www.needledoctor.com

Specific to the thread:

Ortofon: Moving Coil, Phono Preamps, High Output Moving Coil, Standard Mount, P-Mount, Stylus, DJ Cartridges, DJ Stylus ยป

I am currently using (2) setups:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1) An ORTOFON 2M RED on a Technics SL-1900 Direct Drive table from 1975

2) An ORTOFON OM 5e on a Dual 522 belt drive

Through a MARANTZ 2265b receiver (1978) and EPI and INFINITY 8" 2-way speakers

I find the sonics on both turntable setups more than adequate to my ears. What I spin is both my own collection that's been with me starting in the early-mid 1960's through newly mfg units. Mostly Americana, rock, pop, jazz, classical, instrumental, etc., and mostly pretty mainstream.

I acquired the 2M Red for about half-price with allegedly 20 hours or less wear, & I love the sound. It reaches into the grooves of my older records and pulls out the sound out of those grooves like no cart I've ever used prior. I can only imagine what the Blue would deliver at about 3X the price I paid for the Red.

I like the sound I get from the OM 5e, too. It's not as dramatic, but it certainly tracks great and delivers a warm, uncolored sound. I see the next step up, the 10, is only $2 more from my friends at the Needle Doctor referenced above. I bought the OM 5e several years ago from a German seller on Ebay for about $40.

Several years ago, I tried using a GRADO Prestige Black on the TECHNICS table above, and I never liked the sound. It seemed lifeless, as if putting a dishtowel over my speakers.

Just a Grandpa's 2-cents worth...

GT

McLover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.