Shure, Audio Technica, or Ortofon Carts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Mar 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

There are compromises in all cheap cartridges, that's why they are cheap, my kids have always done without. you get what you pay for is a truism.

OcdMan likes this.
  2. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

If you're not afraid of the possibility of a little extra treble (think +3dB at 10Khz) then I would get an AT440MLa or MLb. Of the cartridges you've been considering, those ATs will track the best, have the biggest soundstage, and render IGD a moot point on all properly cut records. You will have to go the extra mile in cartridge setup to get the most out of it. Next option would be the 2M Blue, if you can get it at a discount. A Spin-Clean or at least some Disc Doctor brushes and cleaning solution would be very helpful.

There are a couple of viable alternatives out there too. Like LPGear's AT95VL, which is an AT95E with a third-party line-contact stylus. Or the Audio-Technica AT-7V. With budget cartridges, you have to pick which compromises you're willing to live with. It can be a lot to consider.

Heckto35, Robert C and myles like this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If OP wants to get a little adventurous, here is another option to consider:

Look for an old Signet TK3EA or TK5EA cartridge body on the used market. Don't pay too much for it. Then buy an AT440 stylus for the cart.

That MIGHT be a shade less "bright" than a straight 440mla/b cart, but I cannot guarantee it 100%. Don't get other cartridge bodies than the exact models I listed, as the 440 stylus may not fit. Some of the Signet carts have a different body shape than those where the 440 stylus definitely will NOT fit.

myles likes this.
  4. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I run a TK3e (no "a") with an AT 125lc stylus. The 440 won't fit on that one. So I agree with the above, watch for the "e" vs "ea" designation, the latter is needed to fit a 440 stylus.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Thanks for that; I'll keep an eye out for the Signet.

patient_ot likes this.
  6. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've seen videos on YouTube, if you have a 440MLa/b, the slightest little pop or tick really stands out on it, which is a turnoff for me on the 440, because many of my albums are used, with various conditions, I might go for a 2M Red or OM10, then upgrade the stylus later, and buy the M44, simply to add another choice for my listening.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

In general, the finer the stylus profile, the more it tames IGD, the more detail you hear, but also more flaws. That is true of ANY brand. It's not limited to AT. If you mount an Ortofon 2M Bronze or Black for example, expect to hear surface noise on ****ty pressings and beater records too.

Dunno if you saw what I wrote before, but I'd get a Shure 35X before the Shure 44.

If most of your records are beat, try an Ortofon OM-5E or maybe an AT95E, those are popular carts in the $40ish price range.

One more thing: a friend has a 2M Red on his Pro-Ject. From listening to it, it really wasn't that forgiving of surface noise and scratched up/beat records either. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Heckto35 and OcdMan like this.
  8. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I've found the 2M Bronze to be more tolerant of pops and ticks than the 440 MLa, but most of my vinyl is in pretty good shape and I clean with a VPI RCM. I believe a big part of my problem was that the treble boost from the 440 MLa was being further enhanced by my preamp (there are a bunch of discussions about modifying a 540p to make it play better with the 440 MLa cart).

The recommendation above for a AT95E is a good one. I have one on an AT LP120 that I use for beater records. It sounds good for being so cheap, though you'll likely notice sibilance on inner grooves.

Licorice pizza and patient_ot like this.
  9. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

A MicroLine stylus equaling more noise or accentuated clicks has not historically been the case for me. ML styli have generally been the quietest in the groove in my system. There are a lot of variables in play here other than how clean the records are, such as setup and alignment, tonearm performance, and so on. I have many records, even of the thrift store or hand-me-down variety, that have few audible ticks at all when played with ML styli. In my system, I find that an ML stylus actually reduces the audibility of clicks and surface noise.

Heckto35 and Licorice pizza like this.
  10. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

I wouldn't put anything special on the AT LP-60. You're better off saving that money for a better turntable.

Heckto35 likes this.
  11. youraveragevinylcollector

It's unable to be upgraded. I doubt there is an upgraded stylus for it.

Heckto35 and McLover like this.
  12. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

I'm an idiot. The first line of your post even says you're looking to upgrade your turntable. I'm sorry!!

13. youraveragevinylcollector

It's fine. Memory can be a very tricky subject...

patient_ot and sirmikael like this.
  14. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

That doesn't sound like a bad plan. The 2M series matches up with more tonearms than the lighter weight OM series. That's something to consider.

15. youraveragevinylcollector

True :thumbsup:

16. youraveragevinylcollector

I am yet again, thinking about changing my mind. I still want the M44-7, but I might just get the AT440, it has all the stuff I want out of a cart, despite the higher price. I could save up for just a tad bit longer (I still have to find a nice tube preamp, not sure what to get), then buy both.

patient_ot likes this.
  17. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

If you're going with an AT cartridge, when you choose a phono stage, try to find one with a low input capacitance. That will yield a more accurate treble response from the cartridge.

18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I've been using an AT440MLa with my SL-1210 and a variety of amplifiers for almost two years. Never had any problems with sibilance.

19. youraveragevinylcollector

So, even towards the end of the styli's life, it wasn't that bad on sibilance?

20. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

As has been already said the 3 mentioned cartridges are all quite different.
    Of all the cartridges i have used including Linns, Audio technica,dynavector a, Ortofons, denon,s and Shure. The shure for me is the sound i have been looking for , and now enjoy, but someone else? Who knows.
    Audio technica,s i liked for rock, linn for voices, Ortofons for opera/ classical and the Shure for everything!

patient_ot likes this.
  21. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Yes, I like how these ATs match up with the Technics too. The AT440MLa is very good at tracking high-frequency modulations. No one should get much sibilance (of the type that causes distortion to splatter across the soundstage during sharp "S" sounds) when it is properly setup, unless it's already cut into the record, or the record is cut way too aggressively, or the stylus is worn out. When it comes to many AT cartridges, including the AT440MLa and AT150MLX, the references to "boosted treble" and so forth are talking about a rising top-end frequency-response largely due to the total capacitance of the tonearm wiring, cable, and phono stage being too much. (That's why Audio-Technica specifies that the total capacitance should be under 200pF for a lot of their cartridges.) Some people like that quality about AT carts and feel that it adds detail, sparkle, and life. Other people find it to be too bright. A lot of that comes down to personal preference and how bright the rest of the system and speakers are in the first place.

Heckto35 and patient_ot like this.
  22. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

agree, just wish I could get an off the shelf Elliptical stylus for the M35X...but yeah the stock 35X cart is a good one!

23. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

It still has zero problems with sibilance, tracking, distortion, IGD. It's nowhere near the end of its life :)

24. youraveragevinylcollector

Doesn't it last around 1000 hours?

25. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I have no idea but I'm very susceptible to vinyl distortions so I'd know if something was up. I recently needle dropped Blackstar and I think it came out really well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.