Shure V15 Type III: I'm not sure what to think about it

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

I have the VTA set at roughly 90 degrees horizontal to the surface of the average LP. I wish that adjustment was more convenient on the SME!

2. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I wish I had vta adjustment on my '77 SL1600. The 1200 is adjustable via a dial on the tonearm base that gives you 6mm of range. On the 1600 I use two 3mm platter mats to get things close to where it should be.

3. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

If you're running an SAS with a brush, set your VTF a quarter gram higher (brush up) than you want it to track while playing brush down. The brush down will lighten actual tracking force .25 gram.

4. action pact

No brush on the Type III...

That was introduced with the Type IV.

5. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Yup....type 4 and 5 only....

6. action pact

The SAS is now breaking in nicely. I'm getting some very nice bass texture and extension, and the mids are filling out as well. It tracks incredibly well.

I am really digging this.

7. action pact

I transplanted the stylus guard from the Shure stylus to the SAS:

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I have a chance to buy a V15VxMR, how would it mate with my Fidelity Research FR-64s tonearm?

9. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Probably not as that is a low compliance arm.

10. rickboy

rickboy Forum Resident

The Shure V15Vxmr is so good I would entertain a couple more opinions before ruling it out esp. if you could get a good deal.

11. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I would get the cartridge if it's a good deal yes. The maximum VTF is 1 -1/4 grams and that's a heavy arm. I'm not sure it's a good match is all.

12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I should have done a search before posting, it seems like they like quite low mass tonearms and I'm not willing to swap out the FR-64s.

13. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I don't blame you it's a beautiful table.

14. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

So how is the V15III and SAS settling in now that you've had it for a while?

15. action pact

I LOVE it. Superior detail, effortless tracking, neutral tonality, superb imaging, great dynamics, etc. etc. It sounds just marvelous on the TD-124/SME through tubes!

16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

And the SAS will last a really long time.

17. action pact

Yup. The one on my M91ED is about 4 or 5 years old, although it hasn't gotten much use in the past year.

18. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I have 2 V15III's with SAS stylii on both. They get interchanged between 4 tables hooked up to 2 systems. Tables are Technics SL1200Mk2, SL1600 and Pioneer PL530 and PL560. All sound great thru both vintage Marantz and Pioneer components. I was able to acquire 2 NOS OEM stylii for these carts but they haven't had any play time since receiving the SAS's

19. ssmith3046

Same for me. I started using a couple of SAS styli in two v-15 III's several years ago and never switched. I bought my first III in 1973 and I'm well acquainted with the cartridge but the first time I heard the SAS stylus in my favorite old cartridge I was amazed.

20. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

The first V15 III I bought was in '77. Installed it on the then brand new SL-1600 and loved it. First time I hear the SAS I knew that it had kicked the V15 into into another realm.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  21. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I had a Shure V15 III and really liked it. The problem with both cartridges and speakers is that they are very personal. One person might really like it and another one won't. I have a small collection of around 8 different cartridge makes and head shells. I like to mix up a bit and switch them around from time to time.
    They all have a slightly different voices.

EasterEverywhere and ssmith3046 like this.
  22. ssmith3046

How true. For me it was love at first listen 41 years ago but others find it dull or lifeless.

23. action pact

And the V-15 III will act very differently in various systems due to its high sensitivity to capacitance loading. I once tried a friend's V-15 III with a JICO SAS - exactly like what I'm using now - on the modded SL-1200 that I sold to Wally Swift and hated it. On that deck, with the preamp I was using at the time, the Shure was thin and bright, the complete opposite of what I'm hearing from my SME 3009 into a modded/upgraded Fisher 400.

That's one reason I seemed so uncertain about this cartridge at the beginning of this thread. Fortunately my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to give it another shot, and it's working out really well this time!

ssmith3046 likes this.
  24. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

The phono section of my vintage pioneer amps allow me to adjust resistance and capacitance on their front panels so I can dial them in easily

25. action pact

Very handy indeed! Fortunately for me, my SME into the Fisher's phono stage makes for a perfect set-up for getting the best from the V-15 III.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.