Sicario-new film with Emily Blunt and Benicio Del Toro

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

alexpop likes this.
  2. townsend

townsend Senior Member

My wife and I saw this on Saturday. This is one damn fine film. It is tense, tense, tense, and it really never lets up. I am afraid it will be overlooked, seeing that it is an early entry of the "fall adult movie season." But it is not to be missed. Benicio del Toro ought to receive an Oscar nomination for his role. I always thought he would be a big star, after his outstanding work in Traffic. But he has been all over the place, starring in some good movies, and some "not so good" movies. He is just outstanding in this movie. Josh Brolin is excellent as well. Kind of a free wheeling spirit. An air of uncertainty permeates the entire movie. Are the Mexican police on our side, or their side (drug smugglers)? When driving through Mexico, the convoy always has to be on high alert -- are we going to be attacked here, or there? By whom? They put together a team from both sides of the border -- who can we trust, and who should be watched?

The soundtrack -- well, let's just say that plays an important role in creating a foreboding mood -- and it is right at home in the dark ambient genre. I was emotionally drained when I came out of the theater, but thoroughly entertained. The role played by Emily Blunt--had to grow on me. She was almost too pretty to be playng an FBI agent. But that's not her fault. The final scene is one long, drawn out stress fest. Great pacing.

GodShifter, enro99 and Tree of Life like this.
  3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I am thinking of actually leaving the house to go see this based on being bombarded with commercials every 10 minutes on TV. Good job marketing department.

timztunz likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Trailer looks interesting.
    Benicio Del Toro was outstanding in'Savages'.

Tree of Life likes this.
  5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

It's in English or Spanish or both?

6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I'm catching it this weekend, along with The Martian. Thanks for the heads up, wayneklein.

7. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I'm looking forward to this also when it comes out on DVD.

8. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Yep, this one might get me into a theater!

9. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

We went to see this movie this morning. If you like good movies, you will probably like this one.

I thought the first act was really excellent. The pacing was quite interesting, and it worked well for the setup. The second act stayed strong. The third act struck me as off a bit from what had preceded it. Still, I thought overall the film was really good.

10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I will no doubt see this. I highly recommend the novel, The Cartel by Don Winslow, which was published right before that cartel chief recently 'escaped' from prison (and anticipated the escape in virtually every detail). The book has a gritty authenticity about it, and tells about the War on Drugs (TM) from many perspectives-- of the cartel chiefs, the DEA, the local journalists and the many unfortunates caught in the (literal) crossfire. Winslow is a very solid writer on the subject, had also written a similarly themed Power of the Dog. I liked Ms. Blunt in that TC sci-fi thing.

11. Monosterio

I love Emily Blunt. Big fan ever since The Devil Wears Prada. That Office guy (Jim) is one lucky dude. :)

12. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Yeah, as a poster above alluded to, Emily Blunt is almost distractingly beautiful, especially in a role like this.

13. Monosterio

I just got back from seeing it. The script is weak, but the movie is well acted and directed, and beautifully shot by the Coen brothers' cinematographer, Roger Deakins. It's worth watching, even if not totally satisfying.

GodShifter likes this.
  14. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Bit of a slowburn, but well shot, acted and quite intense. I thought Traffic was quite a bit better though.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Good film. Enjoyed it. Solid. Benicio Del Toro's eyelids steal every show. They should hold 10-round squint-off between Benicio del Toro and Leonardo De Caprio. Even their names make for a great fight poster.

16. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I'm looking forward to seeing it this week. I like the director, Denis Villeneuve, particularly his French-language films Incendies and Polytechnique. I really, really like Emily Blunt. Sigh.

dogpile likes this.
  17. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Incendies is brilliant. I'll have to check out the other one. (I gave Sicario a positive review above -- I mean check out Polytechnique).

18. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Yes, Incendies is brilliant. It was nominated for best foreign film a few years back and didn't win. I thought it was better than anything nominated that year for best picture.

townsend likes this.
  19. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Villaneuve directed 'Enemy' which was also rather good.

20. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I saw it tonight and thought it was fantastic. There were only a handful of people in the theatre. I'm not sure why more people aren't seeing this. Another fine picture from Villeneuve.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The more I think about it the more I like the movie. Del Toro is an anti-hero for the record books.

agentalbert likes this.
  22. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

This is the best movie I have seen in a very long time. Smart, thrilling, realistic, thought-provoking.

CBC, ssmith3046, Macman and 1 other person like this.
  23. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Mostly in English with subtitles during Spanish speaking parts.

The cast and acting were stellar!!

RayS likes this.
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I don't know about other people, but I don't think I've been as jazzed about any anti-hero as "THE MEDELLIN" in a long time. He is just the most super-cool stranger-with-a-gun in a long time. What a shot!!

GodShifter likes this.
  25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I spent a little time on the border and always thought any film capturing that weird sense of dread - that now seems to be gravitating northward into Tucson and Phoenix - would be engrossing and harrowing. Exactly what they did here. Best movie I've seen in a long time.

townsend and RayS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.