Side-by-side comparison of "Airplane!" and its source, "Zero Hour!"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

You should also check out Kentucky Fried Movie with the extended spoof of Enter The Dragon as the pre-cursor to Airplane!.

--Geoff

The Hud and GLENN like this.
  2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I have to agree with you on this. I love Police Squad! and the first Naked Gun movie, but when they started getting him to try to be funny it stopped working. And how many forgettable parodies did he do? I can remember a Fugitive parody and the Dracula one.

fr in sc and KevinP like this.
  3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

ohnothimagen and mmars982 like this.
  4. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Great video. Thank you OP

soundboy likes this.
  5. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Leslie Nielsen was in hundreds of TV and movie roles from the fifties thru the seventies, whether he was a cop, a captain of industry plotting to kill a business rival, or a cheating husband, always playing that same, earnest, serious type...and ever since Airplane! I have that same reaction when I watch him; always waiting for him to say "and don't call me Shirley!"

Phil147, The Hud and Fishoutofwater like this.
  6. Great fun, thanks OP

7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

He was great as the sadistic jilted husband in the "Something To Tide You Over" section of Stephen King's Creepshow movie, also as the doomed captain of the SS Poseidon in the original Poseidon Adventure. Not to mention the M*A*S*H episode Jozef linked to upthread.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, what's not to like about Leslie Nielsen? Regina boy, just like me, and went to school in Edmonton (Victoria Composite High School- the "arts" school, class of '43.)

8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

It really surprised me when I saw him in the Barbara Streisand move Nuts in the late 80s, in a very not-funny role. By then I had seen him in Airplane, Police Squad! and Naked Gun (which was a year after Nuts, but I had seen it first).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.