Sierra Records "END OF AN ERA SALE" ("Half Price On The Entire Sierra Records Mail Order Catalog")

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by KeithH, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I ordered the Gene Clark Set (Vinyl/CD/DVD) on July 19th. I've not had a dispatch email. I did email Sierra about 10-12 days ago and got a non personal and generalised reply saying there had been a heatwave in California hence no package! I live in Cornwall in the UK where we've had the hottest summer for 42 years but it hasn't interfered with the Royal Mail!

When I order from the USA packages normally take 10-14 days to get to the UK but here I am one month on and nothing.

I paid $25 for shipping to the UK which works out at nearly £20 so not that cheap. I would guess that is the price for Air Mail. I have emailed Sierra again today and await an answer.

I know the owner runs the company on his own and isn't in terrific health but is anyone else experiencing long delays?

Any tips on how long I should give it before I get hold of Barclaycard?

2. No reply from Sierra Records to two of my emails over the last 3 weeks so sadly I have instructed Barclaycard to do a charge back. Sad way for a quality record label to end. They had some great stuff on catalogue.

3. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I've been waiting 3 weeks for my order of two CDs, confirmed via email on July 30th.

There was no vinyl in my order, so the follow-up email on August 11th shouldn't have applied to my order (i.e., it should've shipped out before August 11th):
    First class shipping from Southern California to Portland Oregon usually takes 2 days. Even Media Mail doesn't take this long.

I'm starting to get worried that I've been taken. :-(

Has anyone else placed an order near the end of July actually received your order? That might reassure me...

Craig.

4. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Hmmm, I just received an alert from USPS that a package is en route to me from Claremont, CA 91711 . According to Wikipedia, Sierra Records - Wikipedia is located in Etiwanda, California, which is only about 17 miles away from Claremont. Maybe my order of two CDs from late July is arriving soon?

Craig.

5. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I just received an email from Sierra Records with a tracking number for the two CDs I ordered. That package hasn't even been received by USPS yet.

So I have no idea what was delivered yesterday (see above)! (I won't be able to check my post office box until Thursday night.)

Craig.

6. There's a reason why Sierra Records is going out of business.

hutlock likes this.
  7. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I too am waiting. I knew from previous experience that shipping can be very slow. I threw caution to the wind and picked up a few things I had been procrastinating on. I'll wait a while longer.

P.S. I remember when I pre-ordered the Gram Parsons boxset. I was one of the early orders and was supposed to get a free t-shirt with it. When it finally came a year or 2 later I had completely forgotten about it.

lightbulb likes this.
  8. I did my charge back 7 days ago and I thought that would have prompted an email from Sierra Records. No email and no goods received either. Not a good way to do business.

hutlock likes this.
  9. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

They sent me an email earlier today with a promo code for 40% off.

I'm hopeful that my previous order from late July will arrive today.

I just placed a new order in response to the 40% off sale. I guess that will give me something to look forward to receiving by Halloween.

Craig.

lightbulb likes this.
  10. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

This may also be why he is basically out of business.

11. Well, if you don't honour your commitments there is only one way your business is going to go.

hutlock likes this.
  12. hutlock

Yes.

I gotta say, I'm surprised how many people continue to buy from him. Sierra has put out some really great stuff, but this guy has had this reputation for some time now. I understand he has health issues but still.

13. I was unaware he had a reputation. I bought from him a few years back and he forgot to put a post code on my item so it ended up in the Liverpool area until some bright spark at the Royal Mail realised that I lived hundreds of miles away in Cornwall. So, I got the goods in the end but have given up all hope of seeing my latest order after over 6 weeks of waiting. I know I live in the UK but 6 weeks!

hutlock likes this.
  14. hutlock

I only knew of his reputation from reading here over the last few years. I was going to purchase Gram Parsons and Gene Clark and decided against it. It seemed like I was just going to be opening a window and throwing my money outside in the hopes that someone would find it and eventually send me some records that I want.

It all really is a shame.

15. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yesterday, I received an email from Sierra Records with the below message:

Thanks to GoEmerchant.com, which has provided and hosted the Sierra Records Mail Order online site since 2004, the webstore remains open for a few more days. Until it is officially closed, you can NOW take an incredible 40% discount on the entire current online catalog including a few remaining copies of rare low number editions of our Gene Clark vinyl releases.

You have one last shot at ordering online any titles offered by going to:

http://sierrarecords.goestores.com/

This includes the now out of print Suite Steel-The Pedal Steel Album CD, as a few copies remaining available but it is first come, first serve.“

16. lightbulb

IMHO, and more importantly, with my business experience with Sierra Records (which is essentially John Delgatto), his reputation is very dependable.

Ultimately, you’ll receive whatever you order.

Just don’t expect a quick delivery - in these days of Amazon Prime, we may be more accustomed to a 2 day, perhaps even a 2 week timeframe.

Toss in manufacturing, printing and pressing time, then the entire timetable from Order to Delivery is difficult to predict.
    (As said before, Sierra Records is literally a one man operation - and, according to recent emails, Delgatto’s battling lung cancer and now arthritis in his right hand, making it almost impossible to package orders.)

I know patience can be grueling -
    However, in this case, the Music is well worth it.

Regarding emails - I guess Delgatto always has a constant decision to make - take orders, fulfill orders, box orders, ship orders, investigate issues, or reply to emails, etc
    Some task has to give, and take a backseat priority.

Speaking from experience -
    I just received an order today, that I placed in July - basically more than a month later.

CraigVC and clhboa like this.
  17. I am pleased to see that some have got their orders and I will obviously take the charge back off my Barclaycard if my goods do eventually arrive. I notice it took a month for "lightbulb's" order to arrive and he/she live in the same US State as Sierra Records is based. Living some 5000 miles away I might get mine by Xmas!

lightbulb likes this.
  18. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

My order just arrived yesterday, over a month after placing the order. And I live one US state away from Sierra Records, so first class shipping would normally take 2-3 days at most.

I don't expect to receive the order I placed yesterday until approximately mid-October, and that's okay with me as long as it eventually arrives.

I would guess that delivery to Europe might take at least twice as long (e.g., 2+ months).

Craig.

lightbulb likes this.
  19. I paid $25 for shipping (£20 in my money), I would have thought that would have warranted sending via Air Mail? If so, that normally takes 10-12 days to arrive. I quite often send CDs to a bloke who lives in Seattle, Washington State and that takes that length of time via Air Mail.

I have never received a dispatch email, only the one confirming my purchase on July 19th and here we are now in September.....

20. lightbulb

Please correct me if I’m wrong...
    I understand that you have since cancelled the order you placed on July 19th....
    (Or, at least instructed your CC company to reverse charges...)

Is that correct?

21. hutlock

Clearly you disagree with the fact that taking months to ship items that have been paid for upfront is unacceptable because "you will get them eventually."

I think there are a lot of people here (myself included) who disagree with you. Especially because of the complete lack of communication from the seller.

You can defend him all you like, that's your right. But it's very easy to see why people are NOT pleased with his way of doing business.

maninasuitcase likes this.
  22. Yes, it is correct. I haven't cancelled my order with Sierra Records because he has ignored my two emails sent some time ago. If he said they will be on the way, please hang fire I would have done so. No reply to me emails, no dispatch email and I am not a registered charity hence me ringing my credit card company for advice and guidance.

So, after 5 weeks with no response to either of my emails, no dispatch email I contacted Barclaycard by phone. They said 2 weeks was way time enough to expect delivery from the USA to the UK given the amount I had paid for shipping costs.

If, a big IF, I ever get my goods I will instruct Barclaycard to pay Sierra Records the money I will owe them IF I get the goods I purchased 44 days ago.

I have been told the guy has some issues but this is no way to conduct a business.

hutlock likes this.
  23. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

I’m holding out hope for my cd. He does take awhile that’s for sure.

My impression is he’s fighting the good fight to do something he’s passionate about, but he’s fighting fierce headwinds due to illness.

And for that reason, I can’t find it in me to cancel my order no matter how late. If it doesn’t show-so be it. It’s one cd.

24. lightbulb

I’ll stand by what I posted earlier -

I just wanted to provide my own prior experience that I’ve received all my orders from Sierra Records (but just not within the typically expected timeframes that all of us are used to).

It seemed like there were general concerns regarding the company’s fulfilling their orders - at all.
    I wanted to alleviate those concerns.

It’s up to each customer’s personal judgement to determine if a “longer waiting period” for delivery of goods is acceptable, or not.

In my own opinion, in this case, the Music is well worth it.

clhboa likes this.
  25. lightbulb

There’s no need for me to “defend” anyone.
    I just realize the limitations of his business, whatever those are (from what he’s emailed and posted).
    I’m just trying to clear any concern and speculation.

{I understand your post is expressing YOUR displeasure “with his way of doing business”, and perhaps lashing out at ME is one method of YOU releasing YOUR pent up frustration.}

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.