Sigh... How can I buy speakers and keep my wife happy?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris Desjardin, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

So we had some Definitive Technology Studio 350 speakers in the front of our home theater (in white), but they got damaged in a furnace blow back that sent soot all through our house.

The speakers were a total loss. So I bought a set of Wharfedale Jade 3's and Jade SR's to replace them.

The fact that I will soon be selling these on the forum will tell you what my wife thought of the size...

Don't get me wrong - they were bigger than I expected. And, in the end, she was right - they were too big to be mounted on our walls. And floor stands don't work in the shape of our living room.

So I bought some Focal Aria 906's for the front.

They are going back tomorrow.

I need to find a set of speakers for the front that are about $1,000-$1,500, about 12.5" tall, 8" wide, and 11" deep. Give or take...

They must be wall-mountable.

And they have to sound GOOD.

This has taken a month, and we are no closer than we were before. My wife feels bad for saying no, but I know we BOTH need to be happy with these - her with the size and looks, me with the sound.

I know this is the place to find out what might work for us. My fellow forum members - can you recommend a set of speakers that will satisfy us?

2. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

It will be VERY interesting to see what everyone comes up with.

Good luck.

3. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

You could always buy the speakers you want and along with them buy your wife a Chanel or Louis Vuitton purse or something. Maybe she wouldn't notice the speakers for awhile.

- Buck

4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Golden Ear SuperSat50. Taller than you want, but wall mountable.

Or Gallo Strada, but more expensive than your budget.

John K.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Good luck. My test of prospective wife is simple. Will you accept cornerhorns placed correctly? If not, keep looking. Bose and tiny speakers not even acceptable in my bathroom. Wife also gets something she likes too as well that is not my cup of tea. And equally costly. Flattery and a good mate gets you what you like and she likes.

The Pinhead, dmckean, triple and 3 others like this.
  6. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

KEF LS-50's in white.

7. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

Chris, Your wife needs to have a talk with mine. The result would mean you can have anything you want.......... Our Legacy's are 52" tall, 16" wide, 13" deep, weigh about 150 lbs. each and sit about 4 1/2 feet out from the back wall, and she wouldn't have it any other way.

8. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

No offense to the OP, but my word am I lucky. This kind of thing just simply isn't a conversation in our house and not because I'm some sort of tyrant either. I feel very fortunate the term "WAF" just doesn't apply to me.

OP, I can't be much help to your cause but drawing upon my days in Hi-Fi sales, we always had pretty good success selling Monitor Audio products to customers with the same parameters - good sound but attractive packaging, without a very high budget. Thing is, I don't know which, if any, of Monitor's current products are wall-mountable but wanted to at least throw out the brand for further investigation.

9. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Buy some speaker cabs in either the shape of a flower pot or lamp shade and you might do well.

Murph likes this.
  10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Another set of 350s? Do they need be white? Ebay has several sets well below your price point.

somnar likes this.
  11. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I'm fortunate that my wife is compliant when it comes to my hobbies and music. That said, as an NHT fanboy, maybe take a look at the Classic Three speakers. They tick all your boxes including wall mounting.

http://www.nhthifi.com/Three

BTW, I believe they pay shipping both ways (if you need to return them).

12. djohannesen

djohannesen Member

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    Mal likes this.
  13. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

14. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

15. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

You dudes who do not have to worry about WAF must be keeping you ladies very satisfied in other ways ( that we will not go into here since this forum is suppose to be family friendly :winkgrin: ).

Robin L likes this.
  16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Wives & speaker size do not go together.

Eric B. likes this.
  17. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Focal 906s are tiny! I wonder why she's complaining

18. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I have the same issue in the family room where WAF is a big part of the equation. Luckily I have a listening room. Even if it is in the basement and doubles as my office.

19. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Do both goals have to be accomplished in the same task?

20. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Buck is a wise man. I find that Bottega Veneta works particularly well. If you want really large speakers, you may even have to consider jewelry.

"Bribery" is an ugly word, but it is not illegal in this context and can be very useful. Indeed, if you are clever, it does not even have to be expressly linked to the speakers. Do not disregard the obvious solution.

RONENRAY and audioguy3107 like this.
  21. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I am definitely sure if WAF is the limiting factor sonus faber is the answer. My oldest sister HATES HiFi and loud music like the pest. So imagine my surprise when I watched her findly touching the leather surface on my little but brilliant sounding/looking TOYS on speaker stands !!!!
    You can also place them on a shelf with as little as 3 inches space to get the accented bass from the back ported vent. Toys are by now out of production but you can still find them pretty cheap. They been replaced by the Chameleon or VENERE, which are not as nice looking, so better opt for a higher price range and check , what models are available USED- unless you can afford the price of the new Olympus bookshelves .

22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Honestly, this is exactly what I do. I factor in a gift budget into every piece of equipment I buy. While stereo equipment is not the most practical use of a household budget it is more so than jewelry. The speakers in my living room are about 80lb's each, I had to buy a new couch.

It is really tough to get speakers that sound great to match up with a ladies idea of interior design.

23. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Buy a wife and keep the speakers happy :righton:

24. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I need to check the size of my Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65's. They may be a little bit to big for you, but they sound great.

25. new world man

new world man Member

Dali do some was mount flat speakers. Mission had their NXT models years ago. No idea what the Dalis are one but might be well worth considering given the circumstances!

Edit: the model is the Dali Ikon. Or the Phantom version in white!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.