Sigh... How can I buy speakers and keep my wife happy?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris Desjardin, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I think they match the McLaren in the garage too.

bmoregnr likes this.
  2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Yeah that sounds about right.

3. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

I was thinking about wall mounted Magnepan speakers also.

Check out the motorized MMC 2s:
    http://www.magnepan.com/30-Day_trial_motorized_MMC_2

4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

It took my wife a few years to come to terms with bigger speakers but finding something that looked like fine furniture and matched the decor was the answer.
    It sounds like your room is a bigger part of the problem.

5. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

How can I buy new speakers and keep my wife happy?

Easy......tell her " yes Honey, let's remodel the kitchen"

Problem is we have enough money for speakers OR kitchen, not both.

6. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Never a Wife problem what so ever. We knew each other loves and likes before we were married and accept and indulge each others hobbies that make us happy. If you have to ask a wife because of room considerations get a bigger house or a better wife. Weve been married 33 years. Love her much. Take care all, John M.

sotosound and sunrayjack like this.
  7. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

What's a WAF?

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

9. Jose Jones

I have to chuckle at the poor meek married men who have to sneak in their new gold cds at midnight and listen to a Bose Wave Radio or with headphones so as to not upset the old lady.

10. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Damn lucky my girlfriend is a musician, music lover, and totally loves the hifi - big speakers, tubes, turntable and all. In fact she has both her guitars on display in her lounge...

Anyway, these might just be within OP suggested budget if you can find a used pair over there - front ported, lovely design, and sound tremendous https://pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/twenty/twenty21

sunrayjack likes this.
  11. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

Happy ending to the story - I ordered the Martin Logan Motion 35xt speakers for the front and a Motion 30 for the center channel. Wife approved and I can use the Jade SR's for the surround. Even better - she said to keep the Jade 3's for when my daughter goes to college and I get my own music room. I knew she was a keeper...

goodiesguy, OcdMan, Raylinds and 6 others like this.
  12. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

Right, because all women are hopelessly captivated by expensive purses.

somnar and utahusker like this.
  13. Jose Jones

Thats' right, Jake, and all women become violently upset and angry at the mere thought of having speakers larger than a shoebox in their living room.

14. csawan

csawan Forum Resident

Sounds like you went to the Cosby school of persuasion.

Lorraine, somnar, goodiesguy and 4 others like this.
  15. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I will tell you what you do - negotiate openly and clearly. Either you negotiate the speakers in return for something she likes, or even better you negotiate an area of the house that is YOURS meaning she doesn't touch it, then you do what you want. You may have to give her a space too...ideally one you don't give a rip about anyways, like the kitchen or living room, where she gets full decorating reign within budget.

My wife knows anything in the basement listening room / home theater is just off limits. She can use it to watch a movie but almost always asks permission. She wouldn't dream of touching my gear because she knows what it means to me

sunrayjack and ghost rider like this.
  16. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Forgive me for not typing a comprehensive list of 1,000,001 things that women are interested in. C'mon man.

- Buck

17. wilejoe

wilejoe Forum Resident

OK then let us know how your new kitchen looks lol

Metralla likes this.
  18. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

How can I buy speakers and keep my wife happy?

Impossible.

Honestly: most wives hate speakers, with a passion. Most hate stereo systems. Don't know why. Unless it was their idea! ... which would be never.

The Pinhead and sunrayjack like this.
  19. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I guess I am a very lucky man. Some of you know from my reviews in the hardware forum that I recently just bought myself some new speakers. When the cash I was expecting came in, I had a discussion with my wife that went something like this - "I have been working really really hard on this project and I would like to upgrade my speakers." She agreed that I had been working real hard and said yeah go ahead...so I did. I remember thinking how lucky I was and how cool my wife was. So, when she returned from being away visiting home the following week, she came home to a new pair of high end designer shoes she had been eying. She was thrilled. Were they expensive? Hell yes they were, but guys it is an investment. In the grand scheme of things, the shoes are a nice way to say "you're awesome" and are still only a fraction of the cost of the speakers.

sunrayjack and wilejoe like this.
  20. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

I didn't think this is the kind of website where you are allowed to discuss how to satisfy your wife.

sotosound likes this.
  21. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

honestly a good kitchen is probably a better investment by far...

22. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

23. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

Our kitchen renovation begins today.

Maybe I should pop out and grab some Maggie 3.7s while they're ripping the old one out...

24. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Matriarchal society problem...

25. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

just skip the subzero fridge and use the $ on speakers after the renovation...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.