Silence (new Scorsese film [December 2016])

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Nov 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

I used to always look forward to Scorsese films, and then he seemed to lose his mojo, here and there. He has a new film coming out in December, Silence, and I'm excited about it:

Official U.S. Trailer for Martin Scorsese's Silence »

Synopsis: Martin Scorsese's Silence tells the story of two Christian missionaries (Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver) who face the ultimate test of faith when they travel to Japan in search of their missing mentor (Liam Neeson) – at a time when Christianity was outlawed and their presence forbidden. The celebrated director's 28-year journey to bring Shusaku Endo's 1966 acclaimed novel to life will be in theaters this Christmas. Screenplay by Jay Cocks & Martin Scorsese.

dlemaudit and LarsO like this.
  2. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I think this looks fascinating. I have not read the novel, but I have added it to my to-read list. I love works that contemplate faith and religion (I am Christian), and I know Scorsese will treat the subject matter sensitively. I think Andrew Garfield is a great actor, as well. Underrated. His performance in The Social Network was excellent.

yesstiles, LarsO and townsend like this.
  3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Andrew also did a solid job in Hacksaw Ridge.

Looks interesting.

4. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I really miss a movie that deals with the subject matter of faith in a real way without obviously having an agenda or being a charicature. This could be it?

alexpop and Parachute Woman like this.
  5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The novel is devastating.

yesstiles likes this.
  6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Anyone seen this yet? I can't decide whether to go because, despite mostly positive reviews, several critics have complained it's hell to sit through.

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yep, next on the list to watch.
    Hallelujah!!!

8. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I posted a couple of lines in the 'last movie you watched thread'. I wanted to like this more than I did. There are some stunning shots, some good moments, but frankly it was a chore to sit through. Took a very long time to say not very much. I also found the accents used by the actors to be quite distracting.

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  9. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

I've not read the book - it was a very l-o-n-g 160 minutes for me although a more interesting film than some of the recent Scorsese's I've seen - I avoided seeing Wolf of Wall Street (the trailer for that was quite enough for me) and Shutter Island was dull. A couple walked out after about 30 minutes when I saw it - not for the impatient.

10. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I think I'll pass then, even though the movie does look gorgeous from the trailer I saw. Thanks, guys.

11. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Not seen it yet, but I'm interested in doing so, if only to compare it with the Japanese film of the same story, from 1971:

Silence [Chinmoku] | Eureka »

12. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

I have hesitated to see it, even before I read your post. One review quipped "I know that people suffer for their religious faith, but why should the audience be asked to suffer through this movie?" I'll still watch it, but maybe on Netflix.

13. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I dug this. I'm actually surprised by some of the lukewarm reviews, because I'm more inclined to agree with the high praise given by some fans. In this era of "lesser" Scorsese films, I would place this and Hugo right next to the movies of his more celebrated '70s to mid '90s work.

yasujiro and PH416156 like this.
  14. arley

arley Forum Resident

Despite the lukewarm reviews, I'll probably go see it because I thought the novel was great. I also like to support movies that try to appeal to a thoughtful audience (yes, I'm patting myself on the back a little) since most Hollywood product is aimed at hormone-addled teenagers.

Plus, even though I have a good HD tv at home, nothing compares to the picture being seen in a theater. Sounds like it would be worth it.

15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Just watching the trailer I thought, I'm not sure I can take this very serious movie very seriously when they're speaking in these voices.

16. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I saw this film today and was really impressed. This is one of the very best of the MS films. In the 160 minutes, it never lose a moment.

:hide: I'd say that in this film NO actor speaks a Portugal word....:D So you're saying too late.

PH416156 likes this.
  17. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Screener's been out a couple weeks. I'm going to pass on this one. Hidden Figures is out - I enjoyed it. I love screener season.

18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:thumbsup:

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The Wolf of Wall Street was far too long as it seems this one is, and like the comments above took a lot of time to say very little. I thought it was really self-indulgent and by 30 minutes was quite bored of the drug taking and the sex (really). It's a shame as he's one of my favourite directors.

I was going to see Silence but I think I'll wait for the DVD and maybe see it in two parts. Or if I want to see a story like this watch 'The Mission' instead.

20. teodoro

teodoro Forum Resident

Having both read the book and seen the film, I
    am surprised more people aren`t in awe of it, as it is quite compelling in the way it portrays a very smart strategy from the japanese inquisitors to weaken a religion where people were glad to have their heads chopped off...
    The film feels a bit like a documentary, if you take the time to read about what was happening in Japan at the time...

The novel has Christ say (from japanese, not translations), right before Sebastião steps on the fumi:
    "you may step... " So, his conscience has evolved and he is now allowed to do something other than just dying for his faith... so he has changed but, he is he a sinner?
    The movie has been getting good reviews here in Europe...

It also helps that the storytelling is simple and straightforward; not too much gimmicks or CGI... the moment where he quotes Kurosawa is also quite impressive... for me, time passed on like nothing, I was not bored at all... the cinematography (Oscar nominated right?) deserves a big screen, IMO.

NightGoatToCairo and PH416156 like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is this this a X rated Shogun?

22. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

Just saw it and it's a great, beautiful, subtle movie.

dlemaudit, teodoro and PH416156 like this.
  23. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

That's why I bailed on Brokeback Mountain. Those accents... :help:

24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I have to say there is a great weak point on this movie. It is way too short. (I'm no kidding.)

PH416156 and teodoro like this.
  25. teodoro

teodoro Forum Resident

Please explain a bit further.... thank you...!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.