Silicon Valley (HBO comedy)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by toptentwist, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Just watched the second episode of Season 2, and it's hilarious!

forthlin likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought the second ep was pretty weak - mostly slapstick toilet humor with a mix of Chinese stereotypes (the whole Jian Yang expanded plotline is terrible). There was some fun to be had with the Tesla/electric vehicle bit, but what's so far missing is the subtle sophistication from the previous seasons.

Chris from Chicago and mikeyt like this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

I thought the plots about the two coding teams, Gavin's signature, the invasion of the dogs and Richard's cruel doctor were great. OK, nothing like the world's most epic dick joke yet, but it's still early in the season.

forthlin likes this.
  4. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I feel the same way. I've wondered if they have new writers this season, who aren't as adept in smarter jokes.

5. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

agree, and I always get nervous when they start using callbacks as jokes, kind of like "remember this funny thing from last season" 'its always sunny 'started that around season 6-7 and never fully recovered . im still enjoying it though

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The two coding teams could have been much better IMO, it wasn't terrible, but not great (well, the dog thing was pretty terrible).

But I do agree that the Gavin signature bit was hilarious - easily the best joke. In particular that his signature designed by Banksy had its own signature (by Banksy). And the winning contest signature had me smirking a bit too.

mikeyt likes this.
  7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I see this coming episode will have the guy who does the voice of Tina on "Bob's Burgers".
    He looks just like her!

8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

2 things:
    how much did tj piss off the writers. jin yang flicking an ash into his 'supposed' remains
    where's big head? have I missed him?

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Man, this season sucks so far. Ep3 was really weak. The show seems to have lost about 60 IQ points. Bummer!

Complier and mikeyt like this.
  10. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Based on what I’ve read, TJ burned his bridges with both the cast and producers. No Big Head so far this season - I hadn’t noticed that until you brought it up.

11. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Big Head was mentioned in the latest episode. Richard lied to Jared saying he stayed at Big Head's the night before. Still no sighting though.

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Wait, there’s a new season airing now?

Yep, sure enough. Not so good so far, huh?

13. Chris DeVoe

I liked the episodes I watched, others didn't. About par for any sitcom in it's fifth season.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Agreed on all counts!

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You confused me by saying it was season 2. It is, in fact, the 5th season of the show. Obviously, I’ll watch it and decide for myself. Thanks.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm enjoying it and seeing Jian Yang finally having something to do. Does seem weird having it on and there being no new Game of Thrones though.

Ed Hughes and GodShifter like this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I was wondering how they’d fill the void of Erlich. A tough character to replace. He was so funny in previous seasons. I guess Jian Yang steps up?

18. Chris DeVoe

Sorry about that. Not sure if it was just a typo or undiagnosed dyslexia.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

All good. I’ve recovered sufficiently;)

20. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Or Veep. And I'm wishing a speedy recovery for Julia Louis-Dreyfus. If nothing else, they should have even more material to draw from for the next season.

DreadPikathulhu and GodShifter like this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Napalm Death :biglaugh:....

22. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

It's been pretty funny so far. Either it's not as funny as previous seasons, or I'm getting jaded. It happens to me sooner or later w/ a series, regardless of the quality.

I do miss:
    Erlich
    Big Head
    Monica (seen only in the season premiere thus far)
    Laurie (ditto)
    Hanneman

There were some funny bits in this episode. All the dialogue between Richard and the potential COO (and with Jared about them) could have been lifted directly from a standard romance film. Just close your eyes and imagine.

"Isn't that a lot of vodka?"
    "It's the normal amount."

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

25. Yeah, he was really a horses a$$. His standup show was something I tolerated for 5 minutes before shutting off. Too bad, cause the guy has some real talent.

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.