Silicon Valley (HBO comedy)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by toptentwist, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Deuce66 likes this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

He totally does have talent. He’s the best in SV. Erlich is a hilarious character. My favorite, in fact. What a train wreck. Too bad. See ya, TJ.

Comet01 likes this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Okay, didn’t get the reference until now. That’s really funny. Love it.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

See above. ^ :laugh:

5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Wow! Total Method actor! He doesn't just play an idiotic jerk on TV, but he completely embodies the character off stage as well!

6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

TJ has carton money but he needs to go easy, he's a prime 'self sabotager' and the booze isn't helping.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Or he's just being himself.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Now that's just horrifying.

9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I enjoyed TJ in Silicon Valley because he’s just playing himself. I can’t stand him in anything else.

GodShifter and Comet01 like this.
  10. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

The constant nervous gulping by the lead character is growing old. Seems like that's all he does. This season is bad. Without serious improvement this will be my last.

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

How the mighty have fallen! A few months ago, in an effort to lessen the bill, I dropped HBO while keeping all the other majors. There was a time where I would've done the exact opposite, it seemed like HBO was simply the '1st among equals' due to their superior programming. But that was a long time ago. I don't feel like I'm missing a thing! Now, for the 1st time since dropping them, ONE show's come back that I enjoyed and that's SV. Hate to say it but it's almost a relief to read that the show seems to be floundering! Won't be looking in HBO's direction again until 2019 when GOT comes back!

12. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Thomas Middleditch lost me when he started doing those annoying television commercials.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not a problem for me. I'm able to separate an actor playing a role from an actor playing a role.

14. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

This season has been pretty great so far. Lots of laughs, but I do miss T.J. very much

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Ah, come on. No reason to hold that against him. People need to make a living; the commercials aren’t that bad. He’s, essentially, Richard in them.

Judge (no pun intended) on the show’s merit right now. It sounds bad, but I haven’t seen it and I’m pretty forgiving of this show. No Monica is a bad idea but I get it. Her character’s company is not important to the plot line of the show at this time. She’s nice to look at, though.

16. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

One of the shows major problems (a problem, that is definitely not unique to this show) is that it doesn't really go anywhere. Nothing really happens. I missed the entire last season. Didn't see one episode. And tuning in this season I didn't miss a beat. That only happens when a show is running in place.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, the show's core is to show what a tech startup with a brilliant idea has to go through to realize that idea in the dog-eat-dog world of Silicon Valley tech, finance, egotism and duplicity. Lots of such startups have to jump through many hoops with successes and setbacks along the way. I think you can repeat that cycle, while still exploring new avenues to eventual success.

That's why the show was so good in the prior years. It took us through that ecosystem both in a realistic way and with great hilarity (especially if you're well versed in computer tech/startups).

Now it seems that the characters are just sniping at each other for cheap laughs without a sense of a wider journey/progression. It might get better, we'll see.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  18. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

You missed the whole de-centralized internet thing, which, plot wise, is a pretty big deal to this show. Also,
    Well, there is that mole within the company that might make things complicated

Comet01 and mikeyt like this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

George P likes this.
  20. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I thought tonight's episode was pretty solid. Had some good jokes and laugh out loud moments, and I really dug some of the story turns.

Deesky likes this.
  21. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I really like where tonight's episode took this plot line. Being forced to hang with Dinish is hilarious, but I hope it doesn't become a stale joke that gets beaten to the dirt.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, I agree, a fine episode. My personal favorite was the outrage about the gay guy being outed...as a Christian! Too funny! And in a similar vein, how Gavin's cryptic parting bear/honey comment was interpreted by his underlings, leading to two sects with different interpretations of his words. Loved it.

I was surprised no one had commented on the new product signature yet, having been projected on the big stage screen and all. I guess the sycophants are too gutless to say anything. I'm sure it will come up later.

Nice ep.

forthlin, vince and mikeyt like this.
  23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I've seen that actor who played the gay Christian before, I just don't know where!

24. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

25. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

So I caught the latest episode last night thx to HBO free promo. Gotta say, I felt it was undoubtedly less than what it used to be, too bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.