Silicon Valley (HBO comedy)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by toptentwist, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I just caught up on this show. I think it is BRILLIANT. Every joke and every episode was sharp and on point. Consistently hilarious. And the season 1 finale, with it's crescendo into the best dick joke of all time, was spectacular.

Vidiot, chrischerm and Deesky like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

While waiting for the new season, I've gone back and watched the last episode multiple times. The way it captured the geek tendency to get caught up in a discussion tangent to the exclusion of all else was sheer genius. But it gets better...

The show hired a tech consultant to make sure the math (apart for the MacGuffan of the new miraculous compression algorithm) made sense. So he actually worked out the math necessary to perform manual services on an entire audience. And, since the math was done, what was any self-respecting academic going to do? Why publish, of course!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/228831637/Optimal-Tip-to-Tip-Efficiency

Presenting:

Optimal Tip-to-Tip Efficiency
    a model for male audience stimulation
    Dinesh Chugtai and Bertram Gilfoyle

May 29, 2014

Abstract

A probabilistic model is introduced for the problem of stimulating a large male audience. Double jerking is considered, in which two shafts may be stimulated with a single hand. Both tip-to-tip and shaft-to-shaft configurations of audience members are analyzed. We demonstrate that pre-sorting members of the audience according to both shaft girth and leg length allows for more efficient stimulation. Simulations establish steady rates of stimulation even as the variance of certain parameters is allowed to grow, whereas naive unsorted schemes have increasingly flaccid performance.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It totally is a brilliant show. As someone who was immersed in the computer tech culture and startup shenanigans, everything depicted here is absolutely spot on.

The season 2 opener continues the trend - so many funny moments. It's so unfortunate that Christopher Evan Welch (Peter Gregory) died, as his portrayal of a quirky Silicon Value guru figure was inimitable. His female replacement also seems to be going for the autistic spectrum type of quirkiness, but cannot match the original (though she's not bad). Anyway, love this show!

bopdd and mikeyt like this.
  4. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

Watched the first season on demand and loved it. The season 2 premiere episode let me down. Guess I had too high expectations but I'll keep watching. As an aside, Guilfoyle's girlfriend from last season is the same girl currently in AT&T's commercials.

5. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

First episode was a pretty good start, but Chris Welch's absence is huge. As Deesky says, his replacement is giving off the same vibe, but it's just not the same. She's pretty good, however.

I loved the "explanation" of Peter Gregory's death, and think Welch would have approved. I like how the episode featured photos of Welch prominently - it was a nice homage to the actor via the character's memorial.

Vidiot and mikeyt like this.
  6. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Yeah, I really wish they had given her a different and unique personality to play off of versus being a sort of clone. But it's a minor quibble. I suppose their vision for that character and how it's integrated in show is pretty dead-set.

I would also like to send a DVD set of season one to the writers of Kimmy Schmidt so they can learn how to write jokes.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ha, ha, yes! Whereas Kimmy Schmidt left me cold (humor wise) after just a few episodes (despite Ellie Kemper's considerable charms), SV had me at episode one (in spite of the fact that many of the characters not being very likable).

mikeyt likes this.
  8. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Same here. I was hooked after the opening. "Kid Rock is the poorest guy here. Well, aside from you guys who are standing around drinking shrimp and talking about what *** tastes like."

Dudley Morris and Deesky like this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

...Spoilers, ep 2...

Another great ep. I just loved the Kickstarter funding project for the Bro app, utilizing the super efficient 1-bit transmission protocol. Too funny! :D

Also some very funny reversal of fortune scenes as Piped Piper goes back groveling to previously insulted and belittled VC company representatives. And a great tease scene to end on. Good stuff!

Rufus McDufus, mikeyt and bopdd like this.
  10. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm still catching up with season 1, but I'm really enjoying this show. I'm not in tech but the show is very familiar.

mikeyt likes this.
  11. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

“I sat here and watched you put your testes on this table. And now you’re gonna sit here and watch me do the same thing!”

I can't remember the last time I laughed as hard at something in a TV comedy series. :laugh:

12. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Peter Gregory was my favorite character with Jared running a close second. Christopher Welch was brilliant in that role. Man was I sad when I heard the news.

I personally don't think the show has yet reached the heights of season one but still a very good show.

13. DreadPikathulhu

I've totally given up on "crushing it" and am now merely content to grind through each work day.

ex_mixer and mikeyt like this.
  14. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

So far I'm easily enjoying this season as much as the first. Mike Judge is the man.

Rufus McDufus and mikeyt like this.
  15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I like the new girl they hired. She seems like she could be a fun character. Screwing with Dinesh and Gilfoyle (and Jared, re: her friend "****y") was funny.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is a damned funny show. There's a lot of twisted in-jokes and stuff that would only make sense to total geeks. Mike Judge is a genius, just a deranged, hilarious, bizarre guy.

chrischerm, ex_mixer, bopdd and 2 others like this.
  17. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

It's brilliant, and largely spot-on with the character portrayals. I align myself with Gilfoyle personally as his is the kind of job I did & he's a sarky sod like me, but he's way cooler sadly.

DreadPikathulhu and mikeyt like this.
  18. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

This week's ep had me on the floor. Erlich's diatribe about spoons and Fage yogurt was art imitating life - I had almost exactly the same conversation with my wife about 4 days prior to watching the show, so we both just looked at each other in disbelief and laughed hysterically! I had asked her to pick up a box of plastic spoons at the grocery store for my Fage yogurt - but not the regular sized plastic spoons, oh, no. They had to be the smaller-size spoons so I could get as much of the yogurt topping out of the little bin as possible! :laugh:

Deesky, Leviethan, mikeyt and 2 others like this.
  19. DreadPikathulhu

I had the same thoughts! I stopped buying Fage yogurt because I needed more special spoons!

20. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

My favorite moments this week were with Big Head getting promoted while being utterly clueless about everything happening.

Deesky, DreadPikathulhu and jriems like this.
  21. DreadPikathulhu

There were a lot of great moments this week. It's too bad that the show is overshadowed by Game of Thrones - they really ought to move the premiere to a different night.

22. DreadPikathulhu

That SWOT board behind Blaine was awesome.

Deesky and mikeyt like this.
  23. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Having Jared speaking German in his sleep was a touch of genius. What he was actually saying was also hilarious.

mikeyt likes this.
  24. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Could you translate, please? I've been really curious as to what he was actually saying.

25. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

He was saying he was going to creep up to him and cut his throat. Pretty funny given that he was sleeping in the cot next to Richard!

unclesalty and mikeyt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.