Silicon Valley (HBO comedy)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by toptentwist, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I really need someone on this show to write in a scene where they guys weigh in on audiophile USB cables and directional Ethernet.

Comet01 and Vidiot like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Samaritan will kill anybody who tries to test such cables.

3. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Well, I was way wrong and this week's episode was hilarious. But it seems next week delves into user issues. People are freaked out by the app? Sounds awesome. It's gonna be a long week waiting for this and Game of Thrones.

4. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

mikeyt likes this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The show should put out some merchandising - I'm sure the PP jacket would sell like hotcakes in the nerdosphere! :D

Dudley Morris likes this.
  6. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

It does scream late 80s/early 90s, so I'm sure they could lock up the hipster demographic as well.
    [​IMG]

7. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

Great episode !

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Good point. I can't believe there isn't a merch page with PP mugs, fleeces, etc.

9. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

10. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

this is far and away the best show on television at present, comedy or otherwise. being very close friends with a number of people who are virtual carbon copies of Guilfoyle, Richard, Dinesh, Erlich and Jared, the level to which the show's writers, creators and actors have completely nailed every facet of tech startups and its personnel is staggering.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Absolutely. It also helps to have writers who know the industry first hand. For example, they have Dan Lyons on staff, a.k.a. Fake Steve Jobs.

12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I was super excited - until I saw they don't go higher than a 2X in T-Shirt size. Another company that doesn't think larger people enjoy wearing their products, too.

13. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

Sooo... nobody liked Pipey? I finded it hilarious myself, especially as it's pretty much a homage to the Microsoft Word paperclip imo. And... that sneaky Jared.

14. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Ya know, was thinking....where have I seen that annoying IMO before. Wonder where they filmed the "cloud" server building & India "phone" room or was that CGI?

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Pipey was funny because it's a parody of MS's truly detestable Clippy.

16. jimbutsu

Also, water is wet.

17. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Top episode, everything great about the show in that airplane analogy scene.

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Season finale was underwhelming. I think I laughed at Bighead trying to determine if a comment was ironic, but not much else. It was a good season overall with some great moments, but I felt like tonight's episode just sorta limped to the finish.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought it was very good, as usual, with lots of twists and turns. Excellent season, just don't mention the elephant in the room!

20. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I enjoyed the finale for the most part, and it sets up a somewhat interesting dynamic for next season, but Idk, I'm just not that excited about it, especially compared to the S1 and S2 finales. Erlich and Big Head are now the owners of Pied Piper, Dinesh's video chat app looks as though it will be the focal point of the company going forward, Monica is no longer employed by Raviga and it looks as though she will be joining the Pied Piper team. It was all just a little too "happy ending" for me.

The immediate conflict going forward looks as though it will be deciding on whether to focus on the platform or the new video app and the core members fighting over shares of the company. And while that could prove interesting, having the outside ownership aspect has proven to be a source of rich character material for the show. Whether it was Peter Gregory, Russ Hannemann or Laurie Bream. Hopefully, a new outside force will emerge next season so that the conflict will not be regulated to within the core group.

I'm sure Mike Judge has something up his sleeve for next season, but I just wasn't left with that emotional cliffhanger excitement after the finale as I was after the first two seasons. It actually felt more like a series finale to me.

21. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I was surprised by the weak finale to a very strong season.

22. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I didn't think I could possibly hate Erlich more than I already did, but the finale proved me wrong.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

A great start to season 4. Things have really been shaken up and it all happened organically. I love the new direction, including:
    the new decentralized internet idea.
    And it was chock full of jokes, in keeping with previous seasons. I think this will be a very strong season - so glad it's back!

24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yeah, his new idea:
    ...gives them the opportunity for him to have huge issues with the government, with existing telcos, with investors who will want to know how to make money from this...
    Nothing in the first episode of the new season that's up there with the World's Most Epic Dick Joke from the end of the first season, but few things can approach that. Or the SWOTing of Blaine.

GodShifter likes this.
  25. jimbutsu

I found myself struggling with infeasibility in the new ep, but it's also the sort of thing they might address down the road, and I think they could, and make it quite funny to boot.

The thing running on phones the whole time, if it leverages the processing power of the phones, would also drain everyone's battery to the point that the devices would become unusable - they're simply not made to be on for any length of time in a state other than idle

Chris DeVoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.