Silly questions about cd player...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Todd Fredericks, May 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

Scott,

I'm not "demanding" an explanation for anything (okay, where's my whip?). I'm only asking for people's "opinions" or if there are in deed any "facts" about a sketchy topic that I've been reading about. Questions are a good way or tool for finding answers or ideas (mother taught me that). I agree with you about what is a fact or what is a belief, etc. For years people thought the world was flat (so were their heads), then it was round and now it's oval. Maybe in 100 hundred years the scientists or poets will say & prove (or sing) that we've really been living in a coffee cup (all things java). I don't know really? The older I'm getting (and still have a long, long road ahead hopefully) the more I'm understanding how little I really do understand. Life is a chicken...

Todd

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Todd
    I didn't mean to imply you were demanding an explination. That part really wasn't meant to be pointed towards you at all. Sorry if it seemed to be.

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

Scott,

I'm sorry too. I kind of mis-read the intent of your message. I know where you're coming from and I do agree...

All the best,
    Todd

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Won't the CDP burn out quicker if left on all the time? The display may burn out quicker or start to fuzz out? I tried leaving mine on all day yesterday but did not hear a difference when I got home from work.

I'll bet it depends on the brand of the CDP, too! Would they be talking about a "Class A" CDP? NAD makes one.... As I understand it, Class A should be left on all the time....

Hey, I am a creationist by choice! No, I can't explain why they find rocks that are billions of years old. Although they did find a swimming, live turtle that they carbon dated to a few million years ago.... so they are not perfect in their dating techniques! What is time anyway - a human concept, that's all. So is reality. ;)

But there was this scientist who said that there is still a lot we don't understand. Life on earth could not have possibly existed for more than 10,000 years. Example: The spinning earth actually slows down one or two seconds per year. Atomic clocks are adjusted to compensate for this (especially important during the cold war!!).

If you reverse this, the world would have been spinning *too fast* to support life more than 10,000 years ago.

Weird, huh?

But I don't think the worlds spin affects CDPs.... :D

5. Scott Wheeler

Gary
    Sorry if you are offended but what I said about creationists tactics is a fact regardless of what anyone believes.

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Oh I was not offended, Scott! Sorry I was not too clear in my post. Just thought I'd chime in with a bit of nonsense...;) But that scientist DOES exist! And I've never heard of any creationists arguements before....

They DO have sort of a weird arguement base though. :rolleyes: How can anyone... well never mind. Who cares!

Anyway the flat earthers finally disbanded when they were shown a picture of the earth from a satellite. This was in the '60's. So it's pretty hard to turn someone around when they are convinced they are right..... "shrug"

7. RDK

RDK Active Member

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

O! M! G! They are still around! The flat earthers! I can't believe it!

Absolutely totally bizzarreeeeeeeoooo!!

Thanks, RDK! Do they turn off their CDP's or keep them on? The opposite of what THEY do should be what WE do! ;)

The first site is a hoot! I need a laugh tonight! :D Thanks again!

9. Scott Wheeler

The earth is flat just check the smooth parts with a level. you'll see

10. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Gary, the Earth does not slow down in its orbit around the Sun by a few sec each year. And its rotation around the Sun is just one of many such rotations. It, and its sister planets and the Sun rotate around the Galaxy, the Galaxy rotates around ....., etc, etc.

In order to keep our atomic clocks calibrated with the orbit of our Sun and Moon mil sec leap secs are added once in a while. But time is not related to these changes, they are mere calibrations to our physical world.

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

This scientist said the spin of the earth, creating night and day, slowed down, if I remember correctly. Not the orbit.

No matter. It takes all kinds to make an interesting place to live, our "...tiny, fragile, blue white-world, lost in a cosmic ocean..." Dr. Carl Sagen.

12. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Yep, that is true also, and the unrelated adjustments to our clocks are always in one direction, but they are of very very small magnitudes. These are not relative but actual adjustments to calibrate our calender with the sun.

If you want to bend your mind a bit, try to add up all of the motions and their speeds that your body is subject too. Motion of your car or plane, rotation speed of the earth on it axis, rotation speed of the earth around the sun, rotation speed of the solar system around the Galaxy, rotation speed of the Galaxy around its Galaxy System, rotaion speed of our Galaxy System around ..... It all adds up to one huge speed (and you thought you were sitting down in one place), and all is subject to relativity. Don't ask me what time it is.

13. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Now that's good advise. I know of several people whose equipment and computers have all been ruined by lightning. As far as proper surge protection goes it can't help out too much if lightning gets in on your lines. Fries the protectors right up!

In this case it matters not whether the unit is turned on or off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.