Silverline DVD Audio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eelkiller, Mar 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the newer releases of DVD Audio discs on the Silverline label (Widespread Panic, Dar Williams) include High Resolution 5.1 and stereo or just the surround mix. I purchased an early release and the only way to get stereo was via a "down mix" of the surround mix.

Barry

2. vex

vex New Member

If you use the search tool you are sure to find lots of information on the topic. Try "Silverline stereo DVD-A". Short answer: no stereo mix on any Silverline DVD-A titles

3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Silverline has done a lot to promote the DVD-A format. For that they get big credit.

Unfortunatly, they get a big black mark for releasing shoddy product, fake surround labeled as "stunning" (Their words, not mine). There actually are some decent Silverline releases, but they are far and few between.

The worst thing about Silverline is that they are the discs usually left in the DVD-A bins after the "good stuff" is gone, and unaware buyers grab these discs then think the format sucks.

:(

4. vex

vex New Member

I feel that Silverline has done more to hurt DVD-A than they have done to promote it. If I were one to subscribe to conspiracy theory, I might think that Sony is backing Silverline in an attempt to undermine the success of DVD-A by flooding the market with shoddy product. :realmad:

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed Thread Starter

That is an interesting theory!!. DVD Audio when done right is awesome (Chicago II, REM Automatic For The People, Flaming Lips etc.) I feel that a High Resolution Stereo is essential to these discs, giving the listener both options.

Barry

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Actually there are some Silverline DVD-A discs that DO have a dedicated stereo mix, yet you would never know unless someone were to tell you.

I know for a fact that the "Big Phat Band" DVD-Audio discs both have dedicated stereo mixes. I am sure there are a few more.

But for the most part, you need to be careful with Silverline as their discs are a "hit and miss" proposition.

7. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

Interestingly enough, according to the list of upcoming DVD-A's (http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=10311668) it looks like Silverline is now getting into classical music, too!

Another low-budget classical label (Naxos) has supposedly also launched some DVD-A's. All the majors are slowly gathering behind SACD and the minors left to support DVD-A? A slow death indeed...
    -wolf

8. vex

vex New Member

You're right, there is that one. I wouldn't be so sure there are any others.

9. Solar

Solar New Member

The Naxos DVD-Audios have been very good so far. always with a great price and a new recording.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.