Similarity, Tull/Zeppelin

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

This really only concerns two specific songs from each; I was listening to the B-side instrumental, From Later earlier by Tull and each time the part came in which first comes in at 0:21 (repeats later on), I kept scratching my head thinking, "where have I heard this besides here..???" Finally it dawned on me that Zeppelin use an extremely similar rhythmic/riff configuration in In My Time Of Dying. Certainly not earth shattering, but anyone else pick up on this..?

2. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

i will have to check that out. have not heard from later for years.

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

...yea, me neither. I decided to play the entire Living In The Past album having a very rare moment of relaxation on my hands...and when I heard this section come up, my head turned (as I scratched it).

4. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Both played Celtic influenced folk and rock... Zeppelin rocked harder and had a rangeyer singer..
    Similarities exist, but the bands are very different and shouldn't be compared
    I find most Zeppelin albums to be more accessible and more immediately gratifying. Always thought it was ridiculous comparing the live energy, apples and oranges. I tend to listen to "Living in the past" and "Aqualung", the rock side of Tull. The prog side of Tull hasn't been my thing, but it might someday...... I've spent way too much time on Zeppelin.

5. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Am pretty sure that I remember reading that Zep hated Tull's music, calling them "Jethro Dull"?

6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

They were very happy to have them as tour openers in 1969. I've heard rumours that animosity began when Tull frequently blew Zep off stage (and I can believe that they did).

Ian Anderson incurred Robert Plant's enmity by saying something along the lines of 'with their riffs and my lyrics, we'd have a pretty good rock band.'

Personally, I think Zeppelin were jealous as Tull seemed to snapping at their heels in 1972/3.

Mickey2, Gumboo and ParloFax like this.
  7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

In my opinion the idea of that bit in "From Later" being similar to "In My Time of Dying" is a pretty big stretch.

Both great bands at any rate.

DK Pete likes this.
  8. Terrapin Station

That notion--not just with these two bands, but any two bands--always seems dubious to me.

I could see if there were a significant difference in the crowd reaction, so that it was clear that the crowd was clamoring for an encore from the opener, while many were leaving during the headliner's set or something like that, but such a difference would be extremely rare.

The idea that a headlining band is going to think that an opener "blew them off the stage" is pretty absurd.

9. A quote I recall having read for the first time around 1974 - in association in my mind with the release of their then-new album (War Child) - IA saying in the same interview that the flute was getting tedious to him and that the sax was much better, so it had to be in '73/'74 because he changed his mind completely after that.

Jethro Tull got so big in North America in the early '70s, and their music being globally so different from Zeppelin's, that I have no problem imagining certain crowds showing their preference to Tull in some of those shows, in spite of the Zeppelin legend (that they hit the USA like a storm, etc.). Just a feeling I have.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  10. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

very strange but I did exactly the same yesterday , but must listen to the song again to see if I can hear the similarities , but the splendid Life is a long song ep (together with Thick as a brick their best release ever) and the acoustic LZ tracks (mainly on LZIII) go hand in hand

[​IMG]

11. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Both bands crossed paths at Island Records studios in Basing Street London. Tull were recording Aqualung in the big room, while Zeppelin were working on tracks from IV in the smaller studio space.

12. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

I always thought if Jethro Tull had broken up in 71 after the release of Aqualung, today they’d be grouped together with bands like Zeppelin. Both blues rock hased bands, with folk touches and hard rocking guitar. Of course after Aqualung, Tull went in a completely different direction.

13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Very different bands, but their roots and time periods are very similar. Tull's best years were from 1968-1978 (my opinion), which were very close to Zep's. I love both bands, but it can be difficult to find commonalities in their music.

dougb222 and ParloFax like this.
  14. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

i doubt the might zep ever felt any "heel nipping"

15. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

I was heavily into both bands back in the day. I favored Tull by leaps and bounds (hehe). It is a bit of a bummer how Zeppelin's fan base has continued to grow, while Tull's has not.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  16. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

my friend was kicked out of zep's dressing room at the fillmore east in early 69 when he told them they weren't fit to shine tull's boots. true story.

17. Terrapin Station

Easy to understand. Why would anyone tolerate some a-hole insulting them in their dressing room?

The Trinity, karmaman, Murph and 6 others like this.
  18. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

More differences than similarities between the two bands, I'd say.

ParloFax likes this.
  19. I'm sure they did, for a little while. Tull's albums charted #1 in America in '72 and '73, and they had no problems - still for a few years after that - selling out the Madison Square Garden, L.A. Forum, etc., and on at least one occasion several nights in a row.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  20. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Agreed. For one thing Zeppelin sold about ten times as many records and played to ten times as many people. Not to mention ten times as many plays on the radio nowadays.

21. Forklifter

Forklifter Forum Resident

Im a fan of both bands but if the two bands had to cover each others songs I suspect Zeppelin would have had the more difficult task.....way more difficult if not close to impossible.

hugo.polo likes this.
  22. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

With regard to musicianship, let’s remember that two members of Zeppelin were leading session musicians when Tull were just beginning to learn how to play.

23. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

Not really. Ian couldn’t get anywhere near Plant’s vocals. And Zeppelin could probably do a killer “A New Day Yesterday”.

24. Forklifter

Forklifter Forum Resident

Yeah,im sure Zeppelin could have easily pulled off Thick as Brick,Passion Play,anything off of Stormwatch or Too Old To Rock and Roll or any other Tull album....piece of cake....while Tull would have struggled with Rock and Roll,Misty Mountain Hop and When the Levee Breaks,ect etc.

25. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

Nope, but Jethro Tull would sound quite comical trying to do “The Immigrant Song”, “Trampled Underfoot”, “Black Dog” or “Fool in the Rain”. Point is neither could do what the other did.

Evan Guest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.