Simon and Garfunkel monos

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AudioEnz, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I've read a lot about how the mono mixes of the Beatles, Stones and Bee Gees are different to the stereo mixes.

But what about early Simon & Garfunkel?

I've just acquired a mono Wednesday Morning, 3am vinyl (but can't play it just yet). Would this be a different mix to my stereo CD?

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

The Mono mixes are different mixes and they are not fold-downs. With the singles, I like the Mono mixes better but, to my knowledge, they have never been released on CD...

Bob:)

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Re: Re: Simon and Garfunkel monos

Hi Bob:
    I've found several S&G 45s but they're all so worn that it's hard to hear the music. :sigh: Must be that crappy Columbia 45 vinyl or my bum luck I guess.
    Do you know if the Bookends LP was ever mixed in true mono? That would be a fascinating listen I think.

Dan C

4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Simon and Garfunkel monos

Hi Dan,

I few a few vinyl dubs of the singles taken from near mint 45's and they sound just as I remembered them on the Radio ('I Am A Rock' is fantastic in Mono!). There was definitely a Mono mix of 'Bookends' yes, but I never had one...

Bob:)

5. xios

xios Senior Member

I have the Bookends lp in mono. The 45's on it are the mono mixes of course. The only other really different mix I hear on there is Punky's Dilemma, which has extra background vocals.

6. Chiron

Chiron Active Member

I wasn't aware that there was a mono Bookends. I thought they stopped at "The Graduate" soundtrack. Wern't the BOTW singles in pure mono as well?

Sundazed needs to do S&G monos next, if the tapes still exist...

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

An engineer gave me a NR'd copy of the 45 single "I Am A Rock". I smoothed it back out by putting it on analog 30 ips tape via Sound Forge Accoustic Mirror.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have "I Am A Rock" Mono 45 on CDR...It's wonderful:)
    Definitely the one I remember on the Radio:)

9. Grant

Did you dub your 45 to CD-R?

10. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

The S&G mono LP's must have been a short run, you rarely see them. I know there was more mono covers than LP's pressed. Because for a short time stereo records were put in mono covers.

Does anybody know it the Columbia 45 reissues are the mono masters or did they slip in the stereo mixes?

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, mono LP's were finished by the end of 1967, beginning of '68 in this country.

Companies always make more covers than press records to go in them. Cheaper that way.

12. Joe Koz

Yeah, that's what I figured, because two of the time's I've seen "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme" in mono, stereo records were in them! :mad:

13. Grant

And, mono singles, for most labels, wre almost done with at the end of 1972.

14. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

S&G reissue 45s

Hey Joe,
    My Hall of Fame reissue 45s are both original mixes. "I Am a Rock" has a mix which differs even from the mono lp! The opening line appears to be a different vocal take than the mono lp. At "I am alone..." it syncs up with the mono lp version, which still, at this point, differs from the stereo version. Whew!
    My Hall of Fame version of "Fakin' It" even keeps the 2:72 timing.
    By the way, did all lp copies of Greatest Hits have that cool mono mix of "Cecilia"? My friend's CD of GH has the lp version.

I'll stop blathering now.

the other Wes

15. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Some LP's from around that time had cover slicks which had a stereo label on one end and a mono on the other which would be pasted in the appropriate position, depending on which disc was to be enclosed. Sometimes you can see these peeking through...

16. Joe Koz

Re: S&G reissue 45s

Hey Wes,
    That's good to know about the reissue 45's. They maybe a little easier to obtain than the originals.
    Don't know about the S&G "GH's" LP. I always passed on picking that one up, as a matter of fact, I just recently picked the CD up for the first time.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hey Grant,
    Nope, My friend gave me a copy:)

18. Grant

Friends are nice to have!:thumbsup:

19. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I have a mono Bookends, and Save The Life Of My Child is a radically different mix.

20. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

One of my CD-R projects is called "Simon & Garfunkel: The Sounds of Mono." I did a "singles A and B" starting with "The Sounds of Silence" and going to their last stock mono single, "Cecilia" backed with "The Only Living Boy in New York." (All later S&G singles were in stereo, at least to the general public.)

Some of my S&G 45s are near mint, others are near trashed :laugh: , but all are listenable. A few noticeable differences:

"The Sounds of Silence" 45 mix is slightly faster than the LP version (it comes it at 3:01), plus the instruments are mixed much higher than in stereo versions of the same track.

"I Am a Rock" has already been mentioned. Probably a different vocal, at least at the start of the song.

"A Hazy Shade of Winter" doesn't have the abrupt cut-off it does on Bookends in stereo; it decays naturally.

"At the Zoo" has a shorter fade in mono, plus it doesn't have that psychedelic "phasing" over the "mm mm mm"s, just a more natural strum.

"Fakin' It" is a radically different mix in mono.

I think "Mrs. Robinson" is slightly longer on 45 than on stereo LP.

"Baby Driver" (the B-side of "The Boxer") on 45 doesn't speed up or modulate at the end of the song, the way the LP version does.

"Cecilia" on mono 45 is a quite different mix than the LP version, and it's slightly shorter (on LP, the song virtually segues into "Keep the Customer Satisfied").

Gary_Stewart likes this.
  21. Joe Koz

Thanks for the info Tim on the 45 versions on S&G. I guess I'll be off hunting for these 45's. Boy, this hobby never ends!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.