Simon and Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme - MFSL - SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now that this title has been released, I thought I would start a thread for it.

My copy arrived today and plan to listen to it soon. Having never had this album before, I was quite surprised to see that it is only 28:53 long.

alexpop, Jarleboy, zappaien and 4 others like this.
  2. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

that is a short cd Like bookends what is the price?

pinkrudy likes this.
  3. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

The first album I purchased along with The Carpenters at the tender age of 9 (yeah I was an old soul). Look forward to hearing your thoughts. But why not an original master? We know the story on that?

Babysquid and Tuco like this.
  4. George P

It might be the original master, that banner just means that they could not confirm that it was the original master.

kenbefound likes this.
  5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

That has been a favourite of mine for 50+ years, so I'm really looking forward to your comments on SQ for this one.

6. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Interested if there is a fadeup on "Homeward Bound" like other CDs.

7. Ogre

Ogre Active Member

I thought they were going out of business?
    :p

8. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Their best album for me.

9. George P

OK, I gave the redbook layer of this a listen on my stereo. (I don't have a SACD player.)

I found that the sound quality varied from track to track, more than I have seen with prior Mofi SACDs. A few songs sounded excellent, most of the others others sounded very good and a few sounded just good. The overall sound is open, revealing and a touch bright. I expected the sound to be warmer than it is, but I wouldn't call it cold. They achieved a nice transparency of textures, so you clearly hear everything. There is more hiss/air than I have come to expect from Mofi, but this also means there is a lot of detail. Great midrange and nice dynamics too.

I don't open my Mofi SACDs, just a slit on the side, so I can't confirm for sure who mastered this one.

Would like to see them do all of the Simon and Garfunkel albums on SACD.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  10. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Been curious about the mastering on MFSL's Bookends as it always commands top dollar. Would be nice if they recaptured whatever made that release so special on a modestly priced SACD

Jarleboy, Rob Hughes and George P like this.
  11. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Got my copy today, and got the lowest Mofi limited edition number I ever received... #40. I didn't even preorder. I always was under the impression that limited numbers 1 to 100 were held back for some reason.

12. George P

Nice! Mine was 134.

13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Wow those are low, and I didn't even realize this was coming out... first time for this album on SACD?

14. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

THIS is my dreamed MFSL SACD hybrid

Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits

[​IMG]

And of course, all the MONO collection

:wave:

FJFP, supermd, aficionaudio and 5 others like this.
  15. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

+1. That would be nice! I'm not burning for another Bridge Over Troubled Water, but Bookends would sure be nice. And if they went that far, I'd probably be up for Silence and Wednesday as well, just for completeness sake.

I have no inside knowledge on the matter, but I observe that MFSL often picks titles in groups. If a performing artist (like S&G!) has a common label among a set of albums and if they have a set of distinguished albums that feature in lists of canonical albums (so: marketable!), then MFSL might well be thinking of a series, either complete or else the set of most obvious highlights. Long story short: if MFSL remasters the third-most-acclaimed album by Simon and Garfunkel (Parsley!), then suspicious minds might reasonably wonder whether Bookends and Bridge (and maybe Silence and Wednesday) are also in the works.

Anyway, my Parsley arrives on Friday or Saturday.

For the short playtime that George mentions, I have to say that the bonus tracks on the Columbia Albums box are not (to my ears) very flattering -- sort of earnest, mild-mannered, English-major-with-a-guitar songs that you might expect of a quasi-folky of the mid-60s (I say that with great love for English majors!... but also with no great need to hear those bonus tracks again). I suspect that Simon and Garfunkel were an act who put the good stuff on the album and didn't hold back much on worthy songs -- so maybe Parsley is no longer than it needs to be. But, of course, tastes will differ with these things. Indeed I'm expecting that at any moment someone will disagree with that sentiment. So: take it away, whoever you are! :)
    RH

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Bevok, Jarleboy and PhantomStranger like this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Is this the original stereo mix?

17. Rob Hughes

Are there multiple stereo mixes?

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

How does Scarborough Fair sound?

I pre-ordered this on Amazon back in April! They still have the release date as Nov 2nd, which isn't too far off!

19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Yes the tracks on Old Friends box set and reissues with the two demos as bonus tracks use remixes. The 2010 AF CD and the hi res versions from 2014 and after reverted to the original mixes

Jarleboy, McLover and Rob Hughes like this.
  20. George P

Scarborough is nice. The open sound reveals all of the sound, warts and all.

Jarleboy and The Hud like this.
  21. The Hud

Glad to hear it! One of my all-time favorite songs!

22. George P

When the chimes enter on the left at the beginning, you hear them clear as day, back in the soundstage.

Tullman, Jarleboy and The Hud like this.
  23. The Hud

You have me anxious for November 2nd to get here!

George P likes this.
  24. George P

You and me both! (The new Dylan Bootleg Series boxset comes out that day.) :cool:

SoundDoctor and The Hud like this.
  25. Rob Hughes

I did not know that -- thank you! RH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.