Simon and Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme - MFSL - SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

It seems to be from the same analogue master as the 2014 remaster (but definitely a different digital transfer as they don't sync)

So for all those asking, yes the mofi is the original stereo mix.

Flaming Torch, supermd, Plan9 and 3 others like this.
  2. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Pardon my french, but can we have a MONO boxed set already, FFS!

AlmanacZinger, supermd, Plan9 and 6 others like this.
  3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I'm guessing that the mono masters are AWOL.

moople72 likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The MOFI LP Parsley sage &, TBA advertised on couple of sites now.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Yes!

And, as I've posted before, the Singles from 'Bridge Troubled Water' in mono AND the album in quadraphonic too, on the same disc

:wave:

6. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I would think they're around and in primo condition compared to the ravaged beyond recognition stereo masters.

7. bktouchstone

bktouchstone Forum Resident

I have this SACD as well as a digital FLAC which I purchased either from Analog Productions or HD Tracks in 2014 I think. I always thought the FLAC version was excellent and probably hard to top. So I compared the two somewhat using Parsley Sage as the test track followed by a straight run through of the remaining tracks. My system is updated in my profile. Disc and digital played through an Oppo 203. Setting on receiver was “Pure Audio” for both. Played Parsley SACD version 3 times before playing the FLAC version. Repeated process. Overall the SACD is a very good version to own, bass and maybe upper kids boosted slightly, and perhaps a bit more “crowded” sounding. The orchestra bell screw up (I think that’s what it is but could be wrong) at 1:58 on Parsley is a little more pronounced on the SACD too! I love this album but have to laugh as some of the lyrics get a little “high school year book deep” at times. Generally excellent though. I give the FLAC file the edge but you can’t really go wrong with the SACD. Enjoy!

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Is "59th Street Bridge Song" supposed to cut off cold like that at the end? I understand a lot of these tracks fade out rather quickly. On this one it starts to fade with maybe 15 second left, but then with about 5 seconds left it just cuts off. I played it on both an Oppo 105 and 205, one using analog outs for the SACD and one bitstreaming to the receiver. Same thing. I'm not as familiar with these tracks as some of you, but this doesn't quite sound right.

9. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I have 4 copies of this album on CD + my original 1966 vinyl + it's on The Simon & Garfunkel Collection (the less said about that, the better). I spent some time with the original Columbia, Made In US, CD … the Audio Fidelity, the new Mobile Fidelity and the 2001 Remix. I plan to do so again later this weekend.

Some layman's observations using extremely average equipment - some might say below average and I wouldn't argue:
    * The original US CD and the Audio Fidelity both have the slight fade-up on "Homeward Bound" (They may be from the same tape, for all I know.) One-to-one, the AF sounds much better than the old Columbia disc (to my ears), which could be simply because of improved technology over the years, but I think Kevin Gray's superior skills have a lot to do with it. I am letting my old Columbia CD go at some point.
    * Listening to the MoFi - CD layer - compared to the AF, I found that the AF sounded "fuller" on some songs. And the MoFi had too much sibilance in places. I need to re-do my comparison with fresh (albeit old) ears to see if I have the same reaction the second time around. I'll dig out the old LP too.
    * On the MoFi, I heard a tape wobble on "Scarborough Fair/Canticle" … the first time they sing, "She once was a true love of mine" - on the word "was". That would seem to give more credence to the idea that this is a different tape.
    * The remix is the remix - very nice and a keeper! And by the way, the mixing (and mastering) credit on the 2001 CD is for Vic Anesini, not Bob Irwin. Bob is credited as the producer.
    * Oh, my number on the MoFi …. 001235.

10. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

On the AF Gold CD, the fade goes from 1:33 to 1:42, it is a quick fade but not cut off. The track is silent from 1:42 to 1:48. Is that the same as on the MFSL?

11. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I ordered my MFSL copy at Amazon.com a week ago. At that time I ordered it stated: "ships november 2".
    Today I got an email stating "usually ships within 1 to 2 months" :confused:

We all know that the SACDs are produced and ready to ship to customers. My question is: Are Music Direct blocking Amazon out for a certain period of time, just to have customers using MD, Elusive Disc, Acoustic Sounds, etc ??:shh::sigh:

12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

My copy from Amazon has shipped. I pre-ordered back in April.

Espen R and bluemooze like this.
  13. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

my amazon order says nov. 28 - jan. 18 2019. however, the axis bold as love SACD also had a distant ship date and ended up shipping much earlier

14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't have the Audio Fidelity Gold CD. I do have the Columbia Studio Recordings box set from 2001, and I compared the two. The fade is smoother on the one from the box set, whereas on the MFSL it fades out mostly but then just cuts off abruptly. They end at the same time, but the fade is more linear all the way through on the box set, so it sounds more natural.

The track has different lengths on the two discs.

(2001) Complete Studio Recordings - total track time 1:58, fades to silence at about 1:53.
    (2018) MFSL [cd layer] - total track time 1:48, fades and cuts off at 1:42.

It seems like there is about a 1/2 of fade to silence missing at the end of the MFSL version, but it makes the ending sound awkward, imo.

Just a minor annoyance, I guess. ;)

15. I don't believe MFSL is supplying Amazon directly. It's super-distributor Alliance supplying the MFSL releases to Amazon. Alliance likely ordered a certain number for distribution to minimize downside and badly underestimated orders for this SACD.

16. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Yes, it could be like this.

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's because the MoFi is the original mix.

18. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

So... possibly very dumb question. Is MOFI going to issue other S&G titles on SACD?

zappaien, George P and jacek2 like this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Also LPs.

20. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

As of yet, there have been no additional announcements.
    If any other titles are in the works, we may get some suggestion of that in the next Music Direct catalogue, expected out around mid/late-November (soon! a week or two!).

A sneak peek at the catalogue -- here --
    A Sneak Peek at Music Direct's 2019 Catalog
    shows Oh Mercy and Pat Garrett (and Dire Straits) still forthcoming, along with titles from Bread and J. Giles. Sharper eyes than mine may detect others.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  21. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

is anybody going to listen to this and give a review

22. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Since they got the tapes for the One Step Bridge Over Troubled Water, hopefully we get an SACD for that one at least, though I'd love to get them all on MOFI SACD.

23. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Sorry if this is off topic--somewhat.

I have the Audio Fidelity disks of Parsley, Sage...and Sounds Of Silence. Do those disks use the original mixes or the remixes?

24. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Original.

25. I imagine if this SACD sells well we get more S&G SACDs from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.