Simon and Garfunkel reunion tour???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyler, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

That's what billboard.com says....

Preliminary plans are underway for a Simon and Garfunkel reunion tour for the fall, sources tell Billboard.com. The agents for Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel are collaborating on "initial explorations" regarding a tour, which is tentatively set to play arenas.

Aside from a rendition of "The Sounds of Silence" at the Grammys earlier this year, the famed folk/pop duo hasn't performed together since the Concert Event of a Lifetime tour in early 1994. On that trek, the pair played to large crowds, including a sold-out run of 21 shows at the Paramount in New York.

Speculation about a tour was fueled by the Grammy performance, but both parties insisted at the time that nothing was in the works. "Despite speculation that there is a reunion tour in the works, there have been no discussions -- either with their respective managers or with Paul and Art themselves -- about a tour," read a statement issued before the ceremony.

It is not known when the tour would begin. Garfunkel has solo dates booked through mid-November, while Simon is said to be at work on his next Warner Bros. studio album. Spokespeople for the artists did not respond to requests for comment.

Meanwhile, the group's classic track "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is about to find new life on Billboard's Hot 100. "American Idol" runner-up Clay Aiken's cover of the track is the B-side of his RCA single "This Is the Night," which is expected to debut later this week at No. 1 on the chart.

-- Ray Waddell, Nashville; Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

So Clay Aiken won the American Idol battle???

Oh sorry back to the main subject. So did they make up after their chilly performance at the Grammy's? I probably wouldn't go see this. I like them but I wouldn't want to pay outlandish reunion prices

3. Tyler

Price would be the determining factor for me. There's only a few bands I'd pay over 160 dollars to see (McCartney, Rush, and a Zeppelin reunion with Jason Bonham).

Hopefully they won't go the Eagles route and charge an arm and a leg. Prices for concerts will remain high if people keep paying that much.

4. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Wow

I am shocked on two points. First of all I though the Grammy performance was not pretty. They looked like they hated each other and were singing at different speeds. More importantly though is that Artie has a full tour schedule planned; presumably with Maia Sharp and Buddy Mondlock who appear on his recent and most amazing LP. As much as I love and respect S&G I would probably rather see Artie, Maia and Buddy in a smaller room.
    Just me and no dis to Paul Simon. The Graceland tour was one of the better shows I have ever seen

Peace-
    Norm

5. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I thought the Grammy performance, while chilly at best between them, worked fairly well as the theatre it was meant to be, for NYC.

6. Tyler

The grammy performance was very awkward looking. I'm sure they'd be a bit more loose with a little practice.

I doubt this tour will take place. I think if Simon and Garfunkel were to reunite, they would have years ago. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

"Money Changes Everything"

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Re: Wow

They went to the same party after the Grammys. The didn't talk a lot but they were there together. I doubt they HATE each other, they may just annoy one another.

Now the Eagles HATE each other and they've been on perma-tour for a decade now. The Beatles were barely on speaking terms when they made Abbey Road and it's freakin' brilliant. This isn't new ground. Simon and Garfunkel could do a very nice tour even if they aren't best buds.

9. Clay did not win American Idol. He was runner up. But IIRC, Simon signed both Clay and Ruben to record contracts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.