Simon and Garfunkel's Wednesday Morning 3AM: a strange discovery

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SVL, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVL

SVL Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was listening to the album last night on vinyl, and it sounded like the LP, which is an older (360 Sound) Columbia pressing, uses a different take of Peggy-O than both "original" and remastered Columbia CDs. At least, the harmonies are slightly different.

I wonder if anyone noticed that, or if is explained anywhere.

2. Steven

Steven Senior Member

I read somewhere, possibly the Collected Works booklet which I no longer have, that Wed Morn was remixed. If this is true, the original mix has never appeared on CD.

Steven

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I *believe* it was remixed for the 1990 Collected Works set, at which point that master was used for the standard CDs as well. So, pre-1990 CDs *should* have the original mix.

Keep in mind, though, that even with a remix there wouldn't be much different - it was only a 3 (perhaps 4, I'm not sure) track recording.

It's mentioned the harmonies are different - from who? Art and Paul are each in their own channel, so picking out the differences should be pretty easy.

4. SVL

SVL Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, both Art and Paul seem to be using what is essentially different changes from higher to lower notes, in Peggy-O on the LP as compared to CBS/Sony remastered CD.

I don't have the old Columbia CD anymore; it could have been post 1990, I'm not sure; not a very good looking midprice sort of thing.

5. Steven

Steven Senior Member

According to this website, http://www.songfta.com/discog.htm, Roy Halee said Collected Works uses the same tapes as the old CD's. If that's true, perhaps Wed Morn was actually remixed for the 1980 Collected Works LP set? I prefer it in mono anyway so I never investigated all the stereo pressings.

6. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

This is one strange creature of a recording in the vinyl world. I have the original mono pressing which I find bright, gritty and harsh sounding, I have the original stereo pressing which sounds like it was recorded from a different room down the hall with a pillow infront of the mic. ( I'm not sure I have ever heard such huge differences between two versions of the same recording) and I have the original UK pressing which sounds real good, lightyears ahead of either original US pressings. I know these things shouldn't suprise me anymore but once again I was suprised.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Actually, I've got an interview where Halee says he *did* do that set, rather than simply walking away from it.

I don't have the original CD of Bookends, but I did have the old GH album as well as the Old Friends set. At the fade of Mrs. Robinson, there's a lot of echo on the Collected Works version. There's none on the other versions. I'd bet the original CD doesn't have any echo either, although somebody should really find out for sure...

Long story short - I'm pretty sure Collected Works was done differently from the old CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.