DCC Archive Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends Mono Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

As most of you know I'm a big fan of alternate mixes of classic albums. During the Holidays I came across a Radio Station Promo copy of Bookends in Mono. However it was beyond help and was priced way to high so I passed. But my question is does anyone know if a TRUE mono mix was prepared for the LP? I know there was a radical alternate stereo mix accidently issued in the early 70's (I own it)which removed most of the backing instrumentation, but was a mono mix made.

Also if anyone is seeking a copy of Dylan's Blowin' in the Wind with the "Rebel with a Cause" sleeve Email me privately (I paid dearly for it so its not cheap)

NickCarraway likes this.
  2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The single for "Mrs. Robinson", the radio promo I once had (45) may have been a mono mix and not a fold down, but it's been years since I've heard that "original promo" single...

Maybe that record is just a fold down? Wouldn't suprise me.

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

But Tommy, the question I have is....Why would you want to hear Simon and Garfunkel in MONO?

Thier LPs sound so GREAT in stereo!!

4. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Grant, you're up to bat.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Nah, Tommy is an Audiophile Bananna like few people could ever be. He has multiple copies of a lot of stuff, some imports, a lotta rare. If there was an actual mono mix if the album, Tommy would buy it, or he already has one or two.

I agree with Tommy though, it's not worth buying an overpriced frizbee.

He gets a big kick out of odd issues of popular albums. He alreay has an MFSL CD of "Bookends" if memory serves me right, because I think we had a discussion on some S&G issues, and I told him the MFSL was absolutely georgeous sounding, and I'm pretty sure he agreed. Tommy also buys up a lot of DTS, DVDA and other oddities.

They should have a weekly special on TV about Tommy. There would be enough for at least a 1/2 show each week. What Tommy found, what he likes, weird LPS... I'd watch! Tommy's a hot **** too.

6. TommyTunes

Thank You, Thank You very much! Scott
    And yep Got the MFSL Bookends, a 360 label stereo, a 70's alternate pressing, the new CD reissue, a late 60's UK etc,etc.....

Hey, when I got to about 15 copies of Dark Side of the Moon, I finally called it quits.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hi all,

It's not a question of "who would want to listen to Simon & Garfunkel and "Bookends" in mono, it is a question of:

"Is there a different mix out there somewhere"?

Right?

There are unique mono mixes of the hits "At The Zoo", etc. Bob Irwin used the mono mix of "Fakin' It" on the S&G Greatest Hits.

But, I don't believe the entire album was mixed in mono....

8. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Well I own a totally mint stock copy and I believe it's a fold-down of the stereo and does not contain the 45 mixes much like Notorious Byrds Brothers LP. I really need to transfer that LP!

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's very possible that the mono LP cutting master is a fold-down of the stereo, or they used the stereo tape to cut the mono LP lacquer by "L+R'ing" the tape.

However, the unique mono mixes of some of the songs do exist. I guess they were used to only cut the singles.

Anyone less lazy than I care to confirm this?

:D

Cjb2233 likes this.
  10. TommyTunes

Thanks Alan T, if you ever do a transfer to CD, I would be very interested in hearing it anyway.

11. xios

xios Senior Member

I have a near mint mono radio station copy. I was unaware that any stock copies were released. It sounds to me that side one may be a foldover- I can't hear a difference. Side two has the 45's on it and sounds like true mono-the only non hit is "Punky's Dilemma" and it has a totally different feel when you a-b it with a stereo cd. Let me ask if the so-called "radical mix" is one I have- a copy I purchased in 1972 in which side one has just one of the stereo channels pressed in mono. "America" has no drums at all. Side two plays in normal stereo.

12. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Indeed, there are stock copies of Bookends in mono, but they are very rare. I bought mine for $1 in a budget bin and it looks a bit like this:

[​IMG]

After I saw one sell for circa $500 on ebay, I became too paranoid to touch my copy. I've also seen a UK mono pressing on ebay, but it sold for far less.

To the others who have a US press, do your copies have the arrows on the bottom?

Incidentally, I e-mailed Tim Neely about correcting the 'stock copies' comment in future editions of the price guide, but I never got a response.

13. xios

xios Senior Member

Thanks for the label photo. My radio copy is a white label copy in a stereo cover with mono stickers on it and the timing sticker. I also have a radio station mono copy of the first Nazz album. Anyone know of a stock copy of that?

14. TommyTunes

This is for George, my copy of bookends is also from 72 and there are no drums on America along with other instruments missing. I'm not sure if is one channel pressed in mono. Do you know anything about this pressing. Was it just a screw up in mastering?

15. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I played (most of) my mono LP last night. I think side 1 is a fold down, while side 2 uses the mono 45 mixes, where applicable.

However, I don't have the GH collection with the mono "Fakin' It," nor do I have any S&G 45s at all. I just detected some differences that I believe would indicate a different mix.

I would *love* to get to the bottom of this, so I would appreciate feedback from others who have this LP. Also, we should really consider a rip of this one. My copy is VG+, but plays very well. However, having heard Alan's handiwork, his rip would probably better mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.