Simon & Garfunkel Collected Works LP Boxset?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SVL, Aug 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVL

SVL Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder how the sound of the records in the set compares to earlier pressings (Columbia 360 label in particular). Were the boxset LP pressed on a better quality vinyl? Also, I assume the boxset was still sourced from analog tapes with no digital remastering, but I could be wrong here.

2. thomh

thomh New Member

Wow, talk about coincidence. I am sitting here listening to Sounds Of Silence from S&G Collected Works 5 lp box set when I saw this thread.
    Picked up a mint copy for $20 a while back. The sound is superb throughout. Pressings are dead quiet. I think the mastering was done at CBS in NYC in 1981. Cannot speak for the sound compared to earlier pressings, but I can highly recommend this box set if you can get it at a good price. BTW, mine is Dutch pressing.

Thom

3. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that at the time this set was released Columbia could not locate the original master tapes for a lot of the material, so later generation tapes were used.

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Piece of crap.

5. thomh

thomh New Member

Please elaborate.

Thom

6. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Not all from original masters. Original (or at least early) pressings are plentiful in used record stores in the US (but since I see neither of you are anywhere NEAR the US, none of this may apply to you). I would go with them over this box. Also the box is missing the original covers & notes. Your Dutch pressing is probably way better, vinyl-wise than the US ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.