Simon & Garfunkel Remasters In 24/192 -- Bookends (Stereo) Sounds Great

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by feinstei9415, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just downloaded the "just-made-available" Simon & Garfunkel 24/192 remaster from HDTracks (using the 15% off coupon code) and they did a beautiful job on it. The first track's ("Old Friends") guitar attacks are quite impressive as is the guitar on at the beginning of "Mrs Robinson". In comparison to the stereo original Columbia press LP (which I probably don't have a "first stamper" of), there's a lot more detail on the new download. I can hear stuff in "dense" tracks such as "Save the Life Of My Child" that I couldn't hear on the LP. Whoever did this remaster did a fine job and the 24/192 is really a perceptible difference over the "Complete Albums Collection" CD's from earlier this year. Is it worth $22? I don't know if I'm going to buy the rest of them, but the download sure was thrilling (almost like hearing the mono "Bookends" for the first time) in terms of detail.

Captain Groovy and stereoptic like this.
  2. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I bought the new 12 CD set this weekend and I felt the same way about the sound on it. Even though it's not in High Def it sounded terrific! I was especially impressed with the sound of Bookends on that as well!

3. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Does anyone use the digital format to release hard-to-find stuff like the mono mix of Bookends?

4. feinstei9415

No, the mono mix of Bookends has never been released officially on either physical media or download (although "Fakin' It" has been released on one of the myriads of greatest hits reissues -- and it's the song with the most dramatic differences from the stereo version).

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Just grabbed Bridge, DR-10, will do some listening later, in the middle of doing some needle drops right now :)

6. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Urgh. DR-10. What's the use of 24 bits if the dynamic range is compressed to 12 bits worth? I do not understand why labels decrease the dynamic range for formats that are clearly meant for audiophiles.

The new hi-res Live At Leeds has a DR of 12.

What's wrong with this picture?

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

It came out on LP (a physical media).

superstar19 and c-eling like this.
  8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

So are these the original versions or the remixes?

9. c-eling

I agree Gardo, but I think some of the old masters on cd were around ten also for these releases :shrug:
    I'm using this album as a trial to see If I purchase anymore of them, I already have the old Columbia box plus a few Austrian red stripes and a mono lp, this was probably more of a curiosity purchase than anything :)
    @Stefan, if these are from the 2014 box it should be originals

10. feinstei9415

How does one tell if something's DR-10 or DR-12? Is there a program that shows you a graph of dynamic range?

11. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I've come to believe that EQ choices can affect DR scores almost as much as dynamic compression.

12. c-eling

There is a plugin you can use for foobar2000, the tool is helpful but not an all tell for sq, your own ears are usually the best when detecting brain bleeds

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  13. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I've got the four albums that are on gold disc, I wonder how these will compare.

14. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

When was there a remix of Bookends?

lukpac likes this.
  15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

There wasn't. He was referring to the first three albums.

16. GroovinGarrett

The thread title says Bookends. There's already a thread about the new remasters.

lukpac likes this.
  17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah, but since the first three albums were remixed, it makes sense that he'd be asking about those.

18. GroovinGarrett

Or let the poster speak for himself/herself.

lukpac likes this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Suit yourself.

Cool avatar, by the way.

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  20. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Ok. The new remasters thread you mentioned refers to the redbook box set. We have no way of knowing if these HDTracks versions are from the same mastering sessions as the box. Since this thread is the only one I could find about the HDTracks S&G, I thought it best to ask here rather than create a separate thread.

supermd likes this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nothing. It sounds great.

botley and GroovinGarrett like this.
  22. c-eling

HDTracks is showing Cloudy @ 2:18 , my old Austria @ 2:15, the Columbia box 2:25 if that helps :)

23. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Thanks. I was hoping these would be the original mixes.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

These are released at the same time as the box and there's a question that the mastering is different?

vonwegen, xj32, botley and 1 other person like this.
  25. c-eling

For twenty bucks or so a pop it's good to be sure, who knows with these labels :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.