Simon & Garfunkel "The Complete Columbia Albums Collection" coming from Music On Vinyl (07/27/2015)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Try this one, has it in stock and doesn't rip people off like what records do.

2. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I'm not aware of any instances where What Records have ripped anyone off - if you're only buying one or 2 LP's they are not that competitive on postage rates but usually they are cheaper than anyone else, for instance before it sold out, they were offering this set for only £80 when it retails for £140 or more, the new Stones Box set of Satanic Majesties is priced at only £55 and they also often reduce vinyl to £9.99 in their sales so to accuse them of ripping people off is nothing short of libelous, shame on you.

3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

That copy is £151. What Records was charging £79.99 + £8 postage. Thanks for the reply but in this case Amazon looks like the one that's overcharging.

4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Not that cheap, but it’s 132€ from Amazon Germany.

Porkpie likes this.
  5. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Ok I'll elaborate on that a bit, I wasn't referring to their pricing. I placed on order with them once for (edited - I actually found and checked the confirmation email) 55 GBP worth of vinyl and it never got shipped. I emailed them for help or some info and received first response after three months (!) telling me that they were having email delivery problems because of snowstorms in the UK. After I asked them to refund my payment Tim (I think Tim is the guy's name)
    replied that he will need to check with the bank and I never heard from him since. That was like 7 years ago. Obviously they don't do that regularly or they would have long been out of business, but that's my experience with What Records.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  6. JP Christian

Did you not consider that perhaps your package was intercepted/stolen when it got to your country?

What records offers insurance for a small fee when you place an order - did you take it up?

I'm sure that if you had persisted you would have been refunded - I find it surprising that a company like What Records would just ignore you like that - I've always found them helpful and fair.

7. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

No, my package wasn't stolen cause it wasn't even shipped.
    I reminded him several times but he just ignored my emails ever since.
    I wouldn't have believed it myself if I heard it from someone on the internet and for sure it's the most bizarre of my record buying experiences ever but that's truth. Maybe it has something to do with me being from Ukraine and unable to do anything legally to him, so he decided not to bother. I don't know. But it's since then that I pay with my card directly only at Amazon, JPC and Juno. Elsewhere, Paypal only.

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Allyourmusic on Amazon are cheapest at £105. Watch Amazon they often reduce prices suddenly and briefly when sales drop, I assume done by computer software. Picked up a few bargains that way.

Porkpie likes this.
  9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I had something disappear or not sent out a few years ago and his wife dropped it off at my house. I was luckily only living a few miles from his place at Nuneaton at the time. He used to have a chain of shops in Leicestershire before going on line about 15 years ago so is regarded as a long standing and reliable retailer.

JP Christian likes this.
  10. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

No doubt he is regarded as such. My point in sharing my experience was only to explain why I feel entitled to say that he ripped me off, not to discourage anyone to buy from him if he feels safe to do so.

11. delacey

delacey Forum Resident

Curious - I've been a customer of What Records for several years and have had consistently excellent service. I once had a record that was intercepted and stolen in transit and What Records replaced it immediately no questions asked (i had not paid for insurance)... their packaging is far better than Amazon or Universal btw. I suggest you contact them again...

JP Christian likes this.
  12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Maybe this is answered somewhere in these 21 pages but I have the MOV set and it sounds great. But it is not numbered. The initial run of the MOV box was numbered to 1000, so this would be a second unnumbered run and we don’t know how many were manufactured, correct? Have there been any differences noted between the first and second pressings?

Isamet likes this.
  13. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Was very happy to pick up this U.S. Legacy collection at Half Price Books over the weekend. $50.00 out the door. Dead-quiet mint. A few dings on the box housing, but nothing that has given me the least bit of buyer's remorse. Sounds fabulous. Box #438.

Mr. Explorer and DBMartin like this.
  14. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

hi there ....

i've read a lot of this thread and am still confused about which version i should be looking to pickup (from the recent reissues), of 'simon and garfunkel's greatest hits' ....

as i have most of the individual LPs ....

my choices seem to be, on amaz.ca between a 2016 MOV version and a 2018 US sony legacy version .....

i obviously want the one that was cut by ryan k. smith and don't know if that's what i'd be getting if i picked up the MOV version.

much appreciated and thanks in advance !

15. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

answering my own question here ....

MOV returned my email ..... they said sony/legacy sent them their laquers !

cheers,
    paul

DBMartin likes this.
  16. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

I have the MOV (numbered) and it sounds great! Good to know that it's the same laquers.

polchik likes this.
  17. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

18. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Hi,
    I am about to pull the trigger on some S&G vinyl. Does anyone know what's the sonic difference between 2018 and 2016 versions?

I can get the 2016 box-set cheap on Amazon.

Regards

19. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Your question was answered a few posts above...looks like the same lacquers, different pressings.

I have the 2016 set and it sounds great. Good pressings, flat and quiet. (If that helps)

20. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Thanks mate. I think I''ll go for the 2016(15) set then.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  21. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I had the “Collected Works” box on vinyl many years ago and the albums were pressed horribly. Very noisy, residue from the spindle, just awful all over. I started playing the Complete Columbia Album Collection last night and wow what a difference. Quiet, flat, excellent sound quality. It’s a great box set

JP Christian likes this.
  22. JP Christian

Funnily enough I have the Paul Simon 'Collected Works' vinyl box set that came out in 1981 and I must have lucked out as they are very good pressings - this one was specially imported to the UK as they have put a 'red ring' over rim of the Columbia logo on the labels, as in the UK it's 'CBS'.

The new S&G vinyl box set however is stunning and very well done.

AppleCorp3 and Isamet like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.