Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" to be released on Hybrid SACD* - Update: CANCELLED*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's still unclear how you would know how it sounded without hearing it. The HD download uses the stereo masters and you don't like that; a transfer of the quad masters may sound great...or not.

Pelvis Ressley and audiomixer like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I'd say the 192 is about overkill :laugh:
    [​IMG]

3. MarioBR

MarioBR Forum Resident

An example: Carpenters song in SACD 5.1 channels

This SACD was done using de Original Studer 16-Tracks Analog Tape to make a 5.1 mix
    The voice of Karen Carpenter is Big and Real .. sounds is great and wonderful
    2-inch tape 16-Track directly in a new 5.1 mix

The album "Bridge" was also recorded on a Ampex 16-Tracks machine 30ips speed
    and this 16-Tracks in the hands .. Roy Halee use to a make Quad 4.0 Mix

This new SACD of Simon&Garfunkel maybe Sony Japan use the FIRST generation of
    Original Analog Tape Quadraphonic and the voice of Art Garfunkel
    will be in the same quality identical as this video on Youtube of the Carpenters

The voice of Karen Carpenter is Big and Real .. in High Resolution

Listen the song on Youtube !!!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    IronWaffle likes this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The point is, assuming the master tapes were used in both cases, there's no inherent difference between the HDtracks stereo release and the SACD quad release:

Stereo:
    multitracks -> analog master tape (stereo) -> hi resolution digital (192/24)

Quad:
    multitracks -> analog master tape (quad) -> hi resolution digital (DSD)

The mastering may be different on the SACD, but there's no way of knowing what that may sound like without hearing it.

The Carpenters' disc isn't applicable, because beside the fact that the recordings are necessarily totally different, that was newly remixed for 5.1. BOTW is an existing quad (4.0) mix.

Pelvis Ressley, mpayan and supermd like this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Luke, if I recall correctly, most of the 5.1 puts Karen exclusively in the Center track, making that easy to excerpt, beef-up, then mix back in. I, on the other hand, don't know what was separated where in the original Quad. It could have been a matter of "flying-in" the vocal from the SACD into the rest from the Quad, as Zappa used to do with desparate guitar solos. Either way, it does sound dandy; I need to start running a few of these YouTubed multi-mixes through my Dolby PLII circuit on the big system...

I just love that hobbyists are getting to slap these together on their own, and post them someplace public! These sort of shenanigans could keep the multi-channel freaks ( :wave: ) happy for a long time.

6. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Cuts off around 44.1kHz. :laugh:

supermd and lukpac like this.
  7. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Jeez . . . perhaps there are business and/or legal reasons for Sony or whomever to not be releasing this in the very best possible fidelity / format, but here I am, ready to happily part with $35-45, some of which will (appropriately) go to S+G, the musicians/estates, producers, label, etc., but will probably be searching the web for some version that may or may not be the holy grail. As someone who believes in paying people for what they produce (music, art, software, labor), this is frustrating.

Jarleboy, Mike Dow, Further and 3 others like this.
  8. I wouldn't blame Sony in this case...

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The blame squarely falls on us.

audiomixer likes this.
  10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

How do you figure?

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I just figured it made as much sense as anything...

Pelvis Ressley and supermd like this.
  12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Makes sense.

lukpac likes this.
  13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I blame Richard Cory and that Most Peculiar Man!

signothetimes53 likes this.
  14. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Pre ordered on Amazon.jp
    We ll see

15. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Anybody have any news? Has it been pulled?

16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I was filing away a few of my surround discs the other day and I almost had a heart attack when I surprised myself by pulling out a DVD in a white slip cover envelope that said "Simon & Garfunkel Bridge Over DVD-A" on it. Damn, I completely forgot that I had a copy of that. I'll be honest and admit that the mix on this is far from the truly "discrete" use of each of the four channels, that I usually enjoy with surround mixes, but nonetheless there were still some nice surprises, especially the car at the end of "Baby Driver", which takes an almost complete spin around the room. The one thing that I really enjoyed with the quad mix was that Artie's lead vocals soars like an angel with full use of all four channels on that title cut.

I'm still hopeful that we will get that "surround" SACD, but if it's not to be, I thank my lucky stars to have a copy of that quad mix, as it's a keeper!

Jarleboy and Myke like this.
  17. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Bootleg copy?!? Has to be...

Muzyck likes this.
  18. Chris C

DVD-A dub of original quad copy!

Myke likes this.
  19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

You didn't mention that in your original post.

20. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Jeez, any new news on this confounded debacle of a (maybe to occur) quad/no quad release? :mad:

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yes...it's definitely...Simon and Garfunkel.

zonka and The Hud like this.
  22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Went to the first post of this thread, clicked on the CD Japan link, saw no change. Mystery solved.

23. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Amazon Japan just delayed my delivery to Nov 11-14 (Nov. 8 release date) so, as far as I can tell, it's still on.

24. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Same just received the mail, so it s on !

25. Chris C

I'm thinking that you may be rueing the day that you decided to delete this pre-order from your cart?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.