Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" to be released on Hybrid SACD* - Update: CANCELLED*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hallway in front of the elevator:

"SE: What’s the story about you doing “The Boxer” with them?

HB: That has become a legendary story. Whatever studio we were in, Roy Halee would walk around clapping his hands looking for kind of an echo effect. And we were at Columbia in New York on the sixth floor I believe it was, and from the studio you kind of walked out and down and it went around almost like a ramp to the elevator. And he found a spot right in front of the elevator that had a tremendous echo and he loved it! This was a Sunday and we were doing “The Boxer” and they had me set up… I set up two giant tom-tom’s right in front of the elevator where Ray had found the great echo. And of course there was a line coming out for my headset, so I was obviously the only one who could hear the music…(singing) lie la lie POW! lie la lie la lie la lie lie la lie POW! And at one point my hands came down to hit that smack and the elevator door opened and there was an elderly gentleman in a security guard uniform,. And I guess he thought that he just got shot! it was like a shotgun, POW! His eyes were wide open, and scared ****less! And the doors closed and I never saw him again."

HAL BLAINE

The LP was matrix encoded, so any "all analog" benefit goes right out the window.

Currently listed on amazon.co.jp, and it appears that preorder is available:

Amazon | 明日に架ける橋(完全生産限定盤)(紙ジャケット仕様)(SACD HYBRID) | サイモン & ガーファンクル | ポップス | 音楽 通販

2. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I'm a pretty optimistic fella and I believe it'll be available for sale everywhere shortly. Plus I can't read Japanese worth a crap.

[​IMG]

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You don't have to, it's 2017. Translation offers literally pop up on the screen now !!!

longdist01 likes this.
  4. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

My computer must be of 2012 vintage...

dobyblue likes this.
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

6. Myke

Something's definitely not right.

7. kronning

kronning Forum Resident

X-class solar flares.o_O My order is still in my cart at cdJapan but won't let me checkout.

DrZhivago likes this.
  8. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

A shimmer of hope that this gets released. Sell a fton and open the floodgates for other quad releases.

Regards

Jarleboy and kronning like this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That is why the Mike Robins reel is so special, not just because it's low generation but it's pre-SQ encoding. Makes me care less if Sony is blocked from an SACD reissue withvquad on it.

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm hoping you are correct! Strangely, an old hometown friend of mine from Ohio moved to Japan years ago and married a famous Japanese TV game show producer and believe it or not, her job was working for SONY, where she translated the Japanese to English in the booklets of their CD's! She has since divorced the game show producer and moved back to Ohio, with the child that they had together.

11. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

My theory is that they didn't anticipated the demand and once pre-orders started rolling in, decided to postpone it until they could enough pressed.

Regards

12. Myke

Cancelling my order took all of 5 minutes, from one e-mail being received, to the response being sent. The fantasy was fun while it lasted.

pdenny likes this.
  13. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

I contacted CDJapan to find out what's happened to this title. Here's their response:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting CDJapan.

Actually, we are a bit frustrated about this, because they did not offer any clear explanation, but the record company needed to discontinue acceptance of orders temporarily for some type of internal reasons of their own.

They could not tell us when they will resume order acceptance, but I'd like to reassure you that your order will continue to be processed.

Sincerely,

Toshi Makiya

So, not flat out cancelled, at least not yet. If I had to guess I'd say Sony Japan didn't have permission to release this title and are trying to get it now, suspending orders until they know it's a go.

14. TGH7

TGH7 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Now I know at least what rabbit hole my preorder went down.

15. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

Either that or they have already pre-sold the initial quantity being pressed. Glad I pulled the trigger early!

Shvartze Shabbos and audiomixer like this.
  16. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

I also got in before they shut off. Who knows what I'll end up with, if anything, come November.

In the meantime I am Australia at the moment and came across a lovely Quad Japanese pressing for the princely sum of AUD $29 ($23 USD) which seemed like a steal.

Have to wait until I get home now to play it.

17. MarioBR

MarioBR Forum Resident

What Wonderful News .. I am very happy !!!

SACD Bridge Over Troubled Water
    (Quadraphonic 4.0 in DSD digital)

For the first time hear the voice of Art Garfunkel
    singing the song "Bridge" in high resolution

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

lukpac likes this.
  19. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

ted321 and MarioBR like this.
  20. MarioBR

MarioBR Forum Resident

Yes I have a copy of HDTracks version 192kHz
    but I do not like the sound very much

I believe that the version Quadraphonic 4.0 from original
    ANALOG TAPE in DSD digital is Much Better
    the song is BIG and Audiophile (SACD)

I do not like HDTracks version !!!

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

How would you know without hearing it?

audiomixer and Pelvis Ressley like this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The person I replied to specifically mentioned he was excited to hear "the song "Bridge" in high resolution." I replied to let him know it is already available in high resolution.

MarioBR and lukpac like this.
  23. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I have an internet quad version of Bridge. To be honest, it's good overall but not great but there are some moments.... Again, it's from the internet so who knows how faithful it is to the genuine article soundwise.

ted321, mpayan and Myke like this.
  24. MarioBR

MarioBR Forum Resident

HDTracks yes in High Resolution 192kHz but is NOT a first generation of Analog Tape
    The sound of HDTracks is not good .. is a fact the files in 192kHz but is not Audiophile
    the sound it's very compressed and closed !!!

Now .. I sayed: "I believe" that Sony Japan MAYBE use the FIRST generation of
    Original Analog Tape Quadraphonic 4.0 converted to DSD digital
    must be wonderful sound .. must be BIG and Real .. sound is open and not compressed
    For the first time hear the voice of Art Garfunkel
    singing the song "Bridge" in high resolution with the First Generation Analog Tape Quad

(Sorry my english .. I am from Brazil)

RubenH, jmrife and formu_la like this.
  25. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

The original quad 8-track is just like what is on the reel conversion which is making the rounds it is discrete and not the mess that SQ is. I prefer the quad mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.