Simple Minds -Sparkle In The Rain: 5 disc deluxe edition (March 2015)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by godslonelyman, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This has all gone into complete weirdness territory now but I totally guarantee our customers will come out of this with the correct discs somehow (even if it does seem that The God of Rock sent Soup a disc without telling us!)

Hey ho... I feel like I fell into a pit...

DesertChaos and jamesc like this.
  2. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Got my replacement dvd and booklet.
    Will be listening to check out the differences.

Still need a replacement for the bluray.

later

3. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

looks like contacting the same person yielded information that will be sending a bluray replacement.

all is sorted out now.

later

4. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Maybe not my final assessment, but having now received my replacement Blu-ray disc and played it a few times, I have to say that this remix sounds truly horrible to me. I can switch between the original mix and either of the new 2-channel or multi-channel mixes, and both sound incredibly bass-heavy and murky. It's not even subtle.

I recently went through some of my other 5.1 discs, so this opinion is relative to the others. The 5.1 remixes of Dark Side of the Moon (a real benchmark IMO) and Wish You Were Here, for example, are tasteful, creative and immersive by comparison.

Having unwrapped and played the remix of Drums and Wires in the same listening session, I am now cautious about Steven Wilson's remixing. That one was not murky and bass-heavy, but still shows an aggressive, ostentatious style that I do not like.

Stuart S likes this.
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Does the menu of your disc look like this?

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Does the menu of your disc look like this?

7. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

It does, yes.

8. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Got a shipment notice for the "awaiting repress" Blu-ray from Music Direct today.

9. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Got my copy of the blu-ray from Music Direct which had been "awaiting repress" and it looks good. Stereo is definitely stereo, has the V3 matrix.

Plan9, hotsoup and jamesc like this.
  10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Forum Resident

Steve - would love to get your thoughts on the "repress BR." I really want to pick this up - but there still seems to be a lot of confusion. Sounds like some people have received the corrected version but still state it is not good. I have yet to hear a bad Steven Wilson 5.1 - so really curious if your copy is the real deal. Thanks for any comments!!

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Last SM fan to listen to the 5.1 mix and I'm in the camp that is enjoying it - seems to have less congestion and bombast to my ears, but I can see how purists would dislike that.

Now if only someone would remix this album in NGD style with MacNeil keyboards brought way up in the mix and all the guitars dialed back....:laugh:

jamesc likes this.
  12. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

If it were remixed properly in 5.1, Mick would certainly be prominent in the rear/side channels.

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Held off on buying this when it first came out for obvious reasons.

Thought that the local HMV or one of the other retail stores would get it in once corrected copies were released.

Just checked Amazon - $175 in the States, $292 in Canada. That's just insane.

It's as if EMI didn't WANT anyone to buy them.

johnnyyen likes this.
  14. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Stuart S likes this.
  15. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Currently listening to Sparkle in the Rain. I've never heard one bit of this album ever and I'm loving it. I plan on getting one of the XTC Steven Wilson remixes. I've never heard their music before.

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If you like a bit of New Wave punky quirkiness, get Drums & Wires. If you prefer your music Poppy and lush, Nonsuch or the upcoming Oranges & Lemons would do. :)

17. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

If you've never heard "New Gold Dream," hurry! NOW!

Not that "Sparkle..." is bad, it's amazing. But "New Gold Dream" is the apex of the Simple Minds catalog. I hope there are plans to remix "New Gold Dream." The DVD-A is a completely different mix but I'd like to hear what Steven does to it myself. :righton:

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I agree - it is my favorite SM album by 1000 miles.

19. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

NO! I have a feeling NGD will buthered in his 90's style reinvention presentation. That would catashropic to a mastepiece that is New Gold Dream.

The DVD-A is almost perfection as it is except for the title track.

20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

You don't have to buy it.

21. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

What is it, that you don't like about the title track?

22. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

On the DVD-A, Mels bass drum thumping masks Derek's deep low bass.
    On the 2 channel original mix they are distinct and complimentary. Without Derek's prominent glossy bass, the song looses its luster.

23. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I think it'd be great to hear what Steven Wilson could do with NGD, especially if they located the missing multitracks for the couple of songs. I also wouldn't mind if it were a 5.1 mix of the original album edits that we grew up with. I love the "new" extended versions but also love the flow of the original album as well. However, I would rather he remixed Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call since we already have an excellent 5.1 mix of NGD.

I doubt he'll touch another Simple Minds project with all the whining about his Sparkle in the Rain remix and Universal's screw ups with the release. I hope he and Universal prove me wrong though. :)

JeffMo likes this.
  24. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Unfortunately Universal have poisoned the well. Looking on the shelf at my copies of the 'deluxe' boxed sets for Songs From The Big Chair, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Crises, I'd say that we're getting past the point at which even a Steven Wilson surround mix can redeem these things. The fiasco over this Simple Minds set is pretty much the straw that has broken this particular camel's back.

25. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

Hmm...I'll go check that out sometime soon...

Stuart S likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.