Simple Room Treatment Works Wonders!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Raylinds, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

Not in my experience. My 42" flat tv screen is about 2 feet behind the plane of my speakers, and covering the screen with a blanket makes a noticeable improvement.

2. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

I ordered some very thick sound dampening curtains and a curtain rod and I hope to install them this weekend. I also ordered equipment and software to start measuring the room and explore options for other room treatments. I don't think my room will be too bad because it is extremely wide- the speakers are at least ten feet from any side walls, but who knows.

I will post pictures when I get the curtains up and report back on the results. I plan to A/B with the comforter and add liners if I need to.

jupiterboy likes this.
  3. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Looking forward to your pics . I have a somewhat similar situation: Flat screen tv on a side wall and a large window behind my speakers. I put a heavy lined curtain on the window and cover the tv with a very heavy blanket when doing any serious listening. The results have been very positive. Looking forward to hearing the results of your treatment efforts.

4. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

This is what I came up with. First I tested with a shipping blanket and it seemed to help. Then I ordered a pre-made Black velvet theater curtain I could see right away it would be very hard to make it work.
    Then I thought make it a room treatment panel, so that’s what I did. I used 1 inch OC 703 fiberglass boards and it works great slides in and simply stays no need to attach it. I remove and set on floor to the right.

It improved the clarity in the soundstage vocals seem clearer. The improvement was small but better none the less. Not sure if the image upload is going to work.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    there must be a better way to upload photos

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

That's cool! Very innovative!

The folks that use a blanket should take note! :)

6. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Another possible solution is if the screen can be swivelled. Adjust the angle a little - either downwards/upwards or perhaps better, sideways. Any reflections will then not be heading directly for your ears but somewhere else first and so be weakened.

The problematic reflections may be coming after the sound has travelled from the speakers to the back wall, then to the screen and then you. This also means that absorbent material on the back wall reflection points should help.

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Non of this is true. It's your brain telling you it sounds different.:rolleyes::blah:

8. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Let’s just hope my brain continues to tell me it sounds better. Either way I’m good.

9. Roger C

Roger C Near Kalamazoo Michigan

I have four inches of special fiber material from 3-m, forgot the type right now. I have it in a wooden frame that allows me to move from the front of the screen for watching video. I always add these panels when listening to music. I put them at the first reflection points for video. Covered in a nice fabric doesn't look too bad wherever they are.

10. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

Your reflecting sound off that huge flat screen. Comforters work great.

11. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Not if it dosent sit physically in front of the speakers. You want it ideally behind them.

12. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Some of the sound waves that hit the wall behind your head bounce back at the TV.

13. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

Sound reflects off all surfaces, not just surfaces in front of the speakers. Just reaches certain surfaces sooner than others. Even wearing glasses makes a difference in a high end system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.