Simpsons Season 3 DVD out tomorrow (8-26)!!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bartels76, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I can't wait to pick this up! This is when they really hit their stride!
    $ 34.99 at Best Buy for 4 discs. Really good price!

2. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

Agreed!

3. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Similar price at Target.

4. bartels76

I'd rather go to Target but they never have it the day of release (the past 2 season box sets). Really weird. I'd rather give Target my $$ than Best Buy.

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Lord Of The Rings tomorrow too.

6. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I picked mine up a few weeks ago. The commentary on these discs is really great.

7. mdp7751

mdp7751 New Member

I'm a HUGE Simpsons fan, but haven't picked up any of the season discs (mainly because I watch it on TV 3 or 4 times a day as it is). I didn't even think about the extras. Who does the commentary and what, if any, are the other extras?

8. AKA

AKA Senior Member

MDP,

The commentaries are always great. It's Matt Groening, James L. Brooks, and various writers and producers. Season three will also have cast members participating in the commentaries.

The extras vary from Butterfinger commercials of the era and videos from "The Simpsons Sing The Blues" to deleted scenes, storyboards and animatics.

Beyond the extras, though, the video quality is great, and the fact that you can watch the episodes uncut without the syndication edits is always a plus.

9. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Darn, I wish I had an extra Target gift card laying around. I'll be there anyway! Whoo-hoo! :goodie:

10. Matt

Matt New Member

I think Circuit City has a price-match deal where they'll give you 110% the difference back. Just bring in the ad and show them. I've done it before without a hitch, but my brother told me one time during Christmas, he tried it with a Target sale, and the clerk went through the trouble of calling all the local Targets just to make sure someone had it in stock. He had to wait half an hour for the guy to finish the calls, but I think he was just unlucky.

11. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I still wish they'd give us the *complete* collection of "Tracey Ullman Show" segments. Is there a licensing/rights issue there, or does Fox just assume people wouldn't be interested in those?

12. bartels76

I know!!! It should be its own DVD as they are about 30-40 of them. Hopefully one of these days. I don't think it's a licensing issue since Fox owns the show and they have included some on the VHS sets and DVD Season 1.

13. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Ignore.

14. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Going to Costco at lunch. Only $31.99.
    Best,
    Aaron

15. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I bought a bootleg copy of the Tracy Ullman shorts and the quality was terrible. I shouldnt have wasted my money. I would rather see a complete shorts DVD rather than the Treehouse of Horrors and other crap.

16. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

Yeah, in order to price match the other store has to have one in stock.

17. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

a couple of great deals today at Best Buy

The Simpsons Season 3 for $33.99
    Pink Floyd- Dark Side Of The Moon- Classic Albums Documentary. It was priced at $17.99 but rang up at $14.99.

18. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

It looks like they are not, REALLY, discounting this set, that much, as compared with other releases. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

19. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Double Triple Agreed!

As much as I love 'em, I can't really watch the first two seasons. It's like watching the first two seasons of Seinfield where they haven't figured their characters out yet.

20. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Got this today - video quality is great. So far, I've just been watching with the commentary tracks on. Nice addition of the voice actors to the proceedings - to me, that was the big difference in the commentaries on the first two Simpsons season sets vs. the Futurama sets. The voice actors add another interesting dimension to the proceedings.

21. AKA

AKA Senior Member

MDP,

Matt Groening sums up exactly why you should eventually buy the set.

22. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Be sure you buy it at Coconuts, where it includes a Homer Simpson talking bottle opener that says "Mmmmm....Beer" when you open a bottle! (For season 2 they gave away Moe's Tavern coasters--"The place where nobody knows your name").

23. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Re: Re: Simpsons Season 3 DVD out tomorrow (8-26)!!!!

It's not quite that bad, IMHO. I like a lot of the first two seasons. Seasons 3-5 were definitely the strongest, but there was an edginess to the early stuff that I liked, especially w.r.t. how far they would let Bart stray into the realm of the unlikeable.

Regards,

24. Matt

Matt New Member

Yeah, still plenty of excellent episodes in the first two seasons: Homer finding his long-lost brother, Bart vs. Nelson, Lisa's substitute teacher, Homer's new hair, etc.

25. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

Featuring Harvey Feirstein!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.