Simpsons Season 3 DVD out tomorrow (8-26)!!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bartels76, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Those are from the first season?

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

2nd..
    1st season has really good episodes too...
    Marge almost falls for her bowling instructor (Kevin Kline), the Xmas episode, etc (I'm at work so I don't have in fron of me).

You are cheating yourself if you don't get the 1st 2 seasons if you are fan.

I can understand if you want to skip the past couple of years but not the first 2!

I will be getting them all!!

3. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

The bowling instructor was actually voiced by Albert Brooks. He's done a lot of great Simsons characters' voices.

4. Matt

Matt New Member

I think the first season does pale in comparison to subsequent seasons: it's not as dense (the sheer number of jokes is smaller and don't come in as fast, with longer stretches featuring no jokes), everything is cruder and rougher...but when the show came out, I was in grade school, and I remember watching the first season and thinking how NOTHING on TV came close. Nothing was ever sanitized or watered down, and it was all hilarious.

Going back to just season one, it does have a few stinkers (the camping episode ruined the show for a friend of mine, because that was the first episode he saw, and the only one he saw on several initial viewings). Here's the list of episodes:

1. The X-Mas episode
    2. Bart the genius
    3. Homer losing his job, becomes a crusader, is rehired, etc.
    4. Homer gets his family to Dr. Marvin Monroe
    5. Bart vs. Nelson
    6. The one with Bleeding Gums Murphy (a more 'serious' minded episode, but it just goes to show you that Lisa gives the show a lot of heart. That, and the bits with the wrestling game are hilarious)
    7. The camping episode
    8. Bart cuts off Jebediah Springfield's head
    9. Marge and the bowling instructor
    10. Homer is photographed with the stripper
    11. Bart goes to France in the student exchange program
    12. Krusty's framed by Sideshow Bob
    13. The Babysitter Bandit

Hmmm....actually there's only one real stinker in that bunch. I think I liked all the others.

5. chasing_8

chasing_8 Forum Resident

Heh, that's gone down as one of my favs. I can't remember how long I laughed at that rabbit shooting across the sky.

6. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Considering the competition this week, it's encouraging to see it's doing well. It translates into good news for Tv show releases, and perhaps more good things, JUST, for The Simpson's franchise !

Courtesy of Reuters....

Mmm, 'Simpsons' 3rd DVD set bows big
    By Brett Sporich

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - First-day sales of "The Simpsons: Season 3" double-disc DVD doubled those of the Season 1 DVD release and were about 20% ahead of the Season 2 box, according to Fox executives.

"Simpsons 3," released Tuesday, is estimated to have already sold through about 40% of its initial shipment of about 500,000 DVD units.

A half-million units is a fraction of what major theatrical titles ship to retail outlets and video rental stores, but for the nascent TV-to-DVD niche, it is a large shipment.

The industry has found that seasonal DVD releases of such television series as HBO's "The Sopranos" and "Sex and the City" can be rather lucrative because each box set retails for an average price of about $50, compared with about $20 for a major theatrical release.

The increased profit margins and the length of time TV-to-DVD product tends to remain selling on store shelves has made TV-to-DVD products one of the hottest growth sectors in the realm of DVD, several industry sources said.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

08/28/03 00:49

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/new...65.htm&sc=reuvd

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The family therapy session from this episode sold me on the show for good. That was beautiful. :)

Regards,

8. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Has anybody found the Easter Eggs yet? There's gotta be some hidden stuff on these discs.

I got this yesterday and I'm still watching disc 1.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The very first episode has an additional commentary that is not accessible from the menu, but you can get to by toggling the "audio" button. There are some other hidden commentaries and other types of Easter Eggs, too.

Regards,

10. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Well? Where are they?
    I love the camping episode too. That rabbit flying across the TV just blew my mind man!

11. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I found a second hidden commentary for the "Lisa's Pony" episode.

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I picked up Season 3 to give as a gift for my step-son. ($32 Sam's CLub)

I noticed that there is a "Tree House of Horror" DVD, but I can't find any info about it.

13. bartels76

It's just a compilation of some Halloween episodes. No reason to get it if you are going to buy every season as they will show up on the Season box sets eventually.

14. stereoptic

thanks, Shawn. It's only $10, and it might include some things that haven't been issued on DVD yet (I can't find an index listing). And Halloween is just around the corner.

15. bartels76

Most of the shows on there aren't on DVD yet since it's only up to Season 3.

16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

The TREEHOUSE DVD has 5, 6, 7 and 12 TOH's. At the current pace of release for the season boxes, it'll be years before they're available uncut and on DVD. Mine was $8 at Costco. No extras (no commentaries) but it's fun to have these eps uncut in time for Halloween!

17. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Which Treehouse episode has Homer in 3-D? Is that on the DVD?

18. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Yup! And my favorite ever, the time-traveling toaster!

"I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish."

19. stereoptic

thanks for the info pdenny. 4 Tree House episodes!!!

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

21. stereoptic

thanks for the link Colin.

22. stereoptic

My local Sams Club has Tree House of Horror packaged with Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein for $15.98

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.