Sinatra 6 LP Box set 1986 The Voice columbia years: How Rare?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by waynenet, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waynenet

waynenet New Member Thread Starter

Sinatra 6 LP Box set 1986: The Voice The Columbia Years 1943-1952

How Rare is it? I have a copy. I have the vinyl set not the CD version.

2. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

I don't know how rare it is, but it does contain alternate takes not on The Columbia Years 12 CD set. I have the CD version.

3. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Not extremely

4. JasonK

JasonK Active Member

I bought mine at a Goodwill for $10.00. It's noticeably de-noised, but there's a lot of great music on it. I would just play it, and enjoy it.

MichaelM likes this.
  5. I've seen copies of it around on vinyl. Not a very rare or high priced item methinks. I don't have the vinyl, just the CD's.
    The sound is horribly filtered and EQ'd on a lot of the tracks. It's an arduous listen in comparison to the newer versions on the 12 CD/4 CD Columbia collections.

6. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I'm not sure. I remember my father having an MFSL Sinatra Box Set. I haven't seen one of those in years.

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Dunno about the vinyl, but the CD set is not terribly rare. I believe this was the very first Sinatra material to appear on comapct disc (about 1986), and there were a lot of them sold back when CDs were a novelty on store shelves.

It predates the new transfers and improved digital mastering performed by Legacy Recordings in 1993 for the complete 12-disc "big blue box." So the sound is horrible in comparison, although there are some alternate takes which have not been heard since, as mentioned.

Great liner notes, though. Won a Grammy, I believe.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  8. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

And those would be...

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The following songs in The Voice: The Columbia Years (1943-1952) (Columbia/CBS, 1986) are alternate takes of versions contained in The Columbia Years 1943-1952: The Complete Recordings (Columbia/Legacy, 1993) aka the "Big Blue Box" (BBB):
    1. Nancy (With The Laughing Face) (8/22/45)
    2. Try A Little Tenderness (12/07/45)
    3. Poinciana (10/29/47)
    4. Mean To Me (10/31/47)
    5. I've Got A Crush On You (11/05/47)
    6. It Never Entered My Mind (11/05/47)
    7. Body And Soul (11/09/47}
    8. Why Was I Born? (12/28/47}
    This implies that the masters used in the BBB were in much better shape. Exact song differences for any of these tracks can be listed if you're interested, but these are usually quite minor.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  10. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Danke schoen, my brother.

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Would love to have the MFSL set.

12. waynenet

waynenet New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I was wondering it's worth or of its rare. I'm not into Sinatra very much. But maybe that will change.

13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

(Pointlessly closed thread reopened.)
    Pardon my ignorance, but I assume the versions in the 4-CD set are the "correct" versions, and the blue box uses alternates. Is this correct?

14. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

15. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

This vinyl box set brings back so nice memories. I was ten years old when it was released. And my father bought it for me. He couldn't afford to buy the complete set so he made a deal with the record shop and bought the six albums one after another over several weeks/months. They opened the box set for him and stored it away! But for some reason when he bought the last of the six Lps they forgot to give him the box set case! So I only have the Lp's without the box. But I never mind that. I still treasure them with all my heart because it will always remember me of how my father really tried to make my every wish come true. Love him forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.