Sinatra At The Sands DVD-A*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

From Billboard.com:

Reprise will issue "Sinatra at the Sands," the 1966 live album by Frank Sinatra featuring Count Basie and his Orchestra with conductor Quincy Jones, in the DVD-Audio format in August, Billboard Bulletin reports. The release, the first Sinatra album to be issued in DVD-A, will feature a 5.1-channel surround mix created by producer/engineer Elliot Mazer, plus bonus content. Mazer co-produced and mixed the DVD-A version of Neil Young's "Harvest," released last year by Reprise, as well as the original "Harvest" in 1972.

A Warner Music Group spokesperson says additional Sinatra DVD-A titles are planned.

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It's funny, but sometime last year the topic of surround mixes came up on the Sinatra Family Forum. I made a comment that I don't feel surround mixes are appropriate for Sinatra's music, not to mention the fact that the bulk of his masters' formats don't support a "real" 5 channel mix. I did suggest that musically speaking, I felt Sinatra At the Sands would be a great choice for a surround mix, due to the nature of the material - a live album where you could put the audience in the rear and feel even more like you're there with Frank at the Copa Room. The problem is that the master (IIRC) is 4-track, and I would imagine (without actually having heard the multi) that Frank would be on one track, Basie (and Bill Miller, depending on the song) would be on another, and the band & the audience would be in stereo on the remaining two tracks. Notice how this doesn't allow for the audience to be mixed to the rear without some form of electronic manipulation. Hopefully the surround mix will still come out sounding OK. I've read that the stereo mix will also be new. In the past, I had once thought that the current 20-Bit CD was a remix, but after some more careful listening, this doesn't seem to be true. It sounds like the original stereo mix, though fairly heavily Eq'd. Yes, Frank's vocal is "up" throughout all of "Street of Dreams" now, but I now get the impression they just flew that in from the multi. Obviously, "Luck Be a Lady" was a new mix - besides it was never issued previous to the current disc (at least legitamately), it sounds quite a bit different from the rest of the songs. The echo on "Luck Be a Lady" sounds digitally sourced (though it's OK), while the rest of the songs sound like the same echo that was on previous issues (keeping in mind how all the Eq changed it's sound).

Steve, you've heard the tapes, right? Do I have the layout of what's on each track of the multi correct?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Orchestra left

Orchestra right

Rhythm section

Frank

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Steve - how did it sound?

5. Steve Hoffman

Pretty crappy actually.

It just wasn't recorded that well. Frank's vocal mic sound is lacking....

Oh well, I'm sure they will do a good job with the surround version. It has to sound better than the original mix, doesn't it?

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I actually enjoy the mono mix of this album more than the common stereo. The music seems much more together and exciting...

Todd

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It is kinda midrangey Steve, but I've still liked the way it sounds. In some ways, the seemingly heavily Eq'd CD is an improvement over the original vinyl, with IMO an overall more neutral tonal balance, though it's a little bright. Sometimes I listen to the CD, sometimes I listen to the vinyl. Quality of the vocal mic? - well, it's just something I'm kind of accepting of with live albums. It's so common for live recordings to not have the greatest vocal mic, with it being a hand mic and all.

As far as the upcoming DVD-A goes, besides the surround mix, I'm curious about the 2 channel remix as well, and what the "bonus" material is mentioned above. I hope the sound is better than ever :).

8. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Martin,

Do you have any information as to who is actually working on this disc?

AJH

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Posted in the thread starting post by bartles - Elliot Mazer.

10. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Guess I need a new pair of glasses!

AJH

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, another question :). Was a seperate full-track machine run on location, or did they just make the mono from the 4-track or foldown the 2-track because it wasn't recorded in the studio?

12. Steve Hoffman

A very valid question, but no, they had TWO four-track machines going, staggered. No mono machine.

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Is there any difference what was recorded on one machine compared to the other? Each was the same type of deck too?

14. Steve Hoffman

I think so, yes. One set was edited together and another set put away unedited. I'm sure the edited "A" set was used for the DVD.

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting.

BTW - Do you know if they did a seperate mono mix back then, or just fold down the 2-track?

16. Steve Hoffman

They never folded down anything at United/Western. It just wasn't "done".

That is a dedicated mono mix.

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks again Steve. I'll have to give the mono LP another listen - I see Todd likes it.

18. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Well, I was actually excited that I found this DVD-A today and played it as soon as I got home. This must be a sign that I am getting older, as I also had the Chicago V and the Deep Purple Live DVD-A's that I got today as well.

Anyway, I cranked up "my parents music" (the music they played when I was "little" :D ) and I have to admit it sounded great (5.1 MLP tracks)

Once I got used to Frank being in the middle of the room (why can't they leave him in the fronts?) I really enjoyed this. The solo piano on "One for my Baby" is so clear and distinct, I thought I could hear the pedals.

Considering that this is a live performance from 1966 or so, I was really impressed with the sound.

One thing, though, as with all live recordings, and esp with a DVD-A, I can;t help but wish that there was video to go with it! :D

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Looks like it's not easy to find up here yet, according to Guy R, BestBuy is saying Friday.

Sounds like another one of those adventurous mixes. Not easily digestable by all...but sounds interesting.

20. ascot

ascot Senior Member

This one's early than '66, ain'a? I thought this was 1960-62. I have a mono LP of this from my father's collection.

21. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's a great record. I still have the 1st pressing Stereo LP. It's one of those Sinatra LPs that has so much personality, you can't play it in part.

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Frank's voice is coming from the left/right front AND left/right rear Jon? Is the center used? How is the stereo mix? Elliot Mazer is credited with the mixing? Mastering? Both?

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

No, no :) - Jon's right - it's from 1966. Recorded January 26-February 1, 1966 at the Sands Copa Room, Las Vegas.

24. ascot

ascot Senior Member

You can tell I'm not Sinatra knowledgeable. :p

25. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Wow, I didn't know this was coming out this soon.

Oblio: What is the resolution for the stereo track & the MCH track?

How does the stereo track sound?

Does it have a DTS track?

I'm interested because after owning four of those Ultralounge CDs, I have started to get into this fun/showy/classy kind of music. I finally understand why my grandpa liked his big band music so much (I was able to hear a big band in person in Seattle once & I'll never forget it. Jeez, all those horns and drums going at once. And no amplification--it was all human powered. :) It was awesome).

Thanks.

[T]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.