"Sinatra: Best of the Best" CD to combine Capitol and Reprise recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

No. They are different photos.

2. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

So, I'm assuming the "Best of the Best" Seattle '57 concert mastering job is Steve's (the exact same as on the Artanis Gold CD? Is that correct?

3. Bob F

hodgo likes this.
  4. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

As Bob says never assume, the Seattle '57 concert included as part of "Best of the Best" is a brickwalled mess, at the time this release came out I was desperate to own an official copy of this concert but when I heard how they'd ruined the sonics I refused to buy it and continued my search for the DCC/Artanis release which eventually found for a resonable price.

The point being avoid "Best of The Best" and hunt down the DCC/Artanis release,

5. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

Well, based on what you've told me, I just purchased it for 20 dollars on amazon in VG condition. The concert was, after all, exactly on my birthday, June 9, 1957, so I really have no choice :)

CBackley and MMM like this.
  6. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

By the way, what does 'brickwalled" mean? (I know what compressed means, but this is a new one on me) - thanks!

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

An expression sometimes used for an audio's waveform that is smashed enough to not really have much of anything in the way of peaks & valleys. It resembles more of a brickwall to some (though I don't really see the look of a brick wall in it).

8. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

Thanks for the explanation - sounds grim!!!

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

10. Bob F

I was just reading this two-year-old thread, and I noticed a broken link and missing image in the quoted post. This is the source image at MPTV.net for the cover of the BEST OF THE BEST CD:

0337_1725.jpg

11. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I picked up the U.S. single disc version today...Walmart had it for just $10. Yep, it's mastered very hot...very loud. I don't think it's brickwalled though, but it's a little too close for comfort. The songs are timeless of course but this is a very modern sounding CD.

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I don't own it, but I've heard it, and it's ooooo stinkerooonie.

CBackley likes this.
  13. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Was this a Capitol Records release that borrowed some of his Reprise recordings or a Reprise release that added the Capitol Recordings? I wouldn't say the CD stinks...the tracklisting is super for a 1 disc comp, but yeah, you can't turn it up too high...it's not a warm CD, that's for sure.

14. Bob F

It's on the EMI/Capitol label, but it shares equally Capitol and Reprise recordings, the latter supplied by Frank Sinatra Enterprises. See the press release quoted in the lead post of this thread:
    —> "Sinatra: Best of the Best" CD to combine Capitol and Reprise recordings

This was a precursor to the current deal between FSE and Universal (later owner of the Capitol label), which puts everything under one "Signature Sinatra" umbrella:
    —> Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof.

Futurecity likes this.
  15. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

It is. I own the 2CD box, but since the fragging thing is almost impossible to open, I'm fine. :p

CBackley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.