"Sinatra: Best of the Best" CD to combine Capitol and Reprise recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Casual fans have a bunch of FS CDs to choose from that pretty much has these songs already. There's lots of solid ground Sinatra material that they could have used instead of some of these tracks. I'd dump My Funny Valentine and replace it with Like Someone In Love or I Could Read Between The Lines.

They could have put a few of the standards on it and filled the rest with lesser know tracks and it would still be solid. Why don't they do something as fresh as The Capitol Collector's Series was when it came out almost twenty three years ago? That disc is still a standout Sinatra CD. When it was released it had quite a few tracks that were there on CD for the first time, and a few with little bits of studio talk. I always thought it should have had a second volume.

Now people are supposed to feel they're getting something special because a disc has one live song taken off an already existing bootleg. Are the studio vaults that dry as far as useable alternate takes go?

2. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Looking at the tracklist of the new comp (s) there does seem to be a definite winnowing down of the material that keeps repeating itself. Much solid ground could be mined for fresher new comps, no more My Kind Of Town, please. Please, Jilly, everyone has heard those songs enough.

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes. German Reprise/Rhino limited edition box with special cardboard inner sleeve. I understood the discs to be identical to the 2-CD release plus the LIVE IN PARIS CD.

4. Sean Keane

Yuck! That's the one where the applause sounds like bacon frying. Sorry I ordered it.

5. Bob F

Let's also not overlook the calendar. The single disc is aimed at the holiday gift-buying season. The 2-CD edition is the hook for more serious fans.

With Sinatra's Centennial birthday approaching in just four years, I find the linkup between FSE/Warner and Capitol/EMI to be most interesting. A portent of future, more significant cooperative efforts, perhaps?

6. Sean Keane

But with the slowing sales of CDs that'll be even slower in four years, what big projects could they possibly be planning?

7. Bob F

If they put some new effort into the sonics, I wouldn't mind seeing a complete career-spanning box set along the lines of the big SONY Tony Bennett 85th birthday box due out in November from Barnes & Noble. We can hope.

8. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Yeah but we can tell the crowd was hot that night.

CBackley likes this.
  9. I would love it if Nancy chose to split the remastering assignments between Larry Walsh, Vic Anasini and Steve for such a huge project!!!:edthumbs:

10. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

11. wave

wave Forum Resident

Bob, that's the exact same thing I was thinking. For me, the news of this collaborative effort is more exciting than the actual release itself. (Well, I'm also happy Seattle will become more accessible to fans.)

I honestly believe this will happen by December 12, 2015. I'd just like to see it extend to Sinatra's live performances.

12. Bob F

It's been used a few different times. This is probably the one you mean—
    Capitol/Pickwick SPC 3456, NEVERTHELESS I"M IN LOVE WITH YOU, circa 1968:

FS-Nevertheless-Pickwick-1968.jpg sinatra-best-of-the-best-small.jpg

13. jimac51

That's it!Passed that up in bins countless times,for good reason-duophonic.Kinda cheapens the new cover,but many of the great ones are already taken.
    I can't do a visual ,but when Frank died,Warner took out an exqusite ad(you know this was in the file waiting for the day)and bought the middle two pages.They started with a famous shot of Frank in the studio with his fedora hanging on the mike stand.They cropped just the hat on the pole and blew it up to a grainy look for the entire two pages of Billboard.The original Reprise logo on the upper left. Lower right-"1915-1998. thank you for letting us listen."(No caps.)And that's it.Quite effective,since you knew anywhere that hat was,Frank was home.Don Draper couldn't have done it so well.

14. jimac51

And the mini-series soundtrack used RCA,Columbia,Capitol and Reprise material on two discs.
    Interesting little item over at Amazon.Someone placed the box lot cost from Capitol($12.04)forthe single disc under the "editorial reviews".Now that's not actual cost since percentage deals,preorder deals,dating,etc. lower the cost,but it's something the public isn't supposed to see.Someone a little too zealous reprinted that presale sheet a little too closely for the public's viewing eye.Someone could soon be unemployed at Amazon.

15. Bob F

Amazon has made a number of overzealous mistakes with this release. They jumped the gun on the listing, before the title was even finalized by EMI and FSE. I placed my pre-order way back on August 18, for the great price of just $13.15—only 9% above cost as it turns out! Current price is $16.73.

16. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

I'm lookin' forward to this one! When I'm in the mood for a little Sinatra, I usually just put on one of the Capitol discs, so it'll be nice to have a compilation with some Reprise cuts as well. The concert with the 2 disc version will be a great bonus!

17. Bob F

18. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Much better than what we are getting in the USA

19. Bob F

And highly confusing, considering that international boundaries mean little when buying online. Let's hope they at least change the cover art to differentiate it from the US issue.

20. Sean Keane

Bob, James Kaplan has that photo in his book, The Voice, and says it's Frank in 1953. That's not Frank in '53. I think it's from the session that also rendered the Come Swing With Me cover photo. What do you think?

21. Bob F

Here's the visual:

CBackley likes this.
  22. Bob F

The picture was taken at the Capitol Tower, which wasn't built until 1956, so to caption it in 1953 shows how clueless Kaplan's book is.

Yes, it's from the same session as the cover of COME SWING WITH ME!—circa 1961. The photo comes from the Sid Avery collection at MPTV.net (where it is also misdated):
    [​IMG]

CBackley likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

He has his handy drive-in-movie car speaker right there in front of him, in case the cartoon starts..

CBackley likes this.
  24. Bob F

:D Is that the intercom from the control room?

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

A picture of a smiling Frank during the "Come Swing with Me!" sessions? NEVER!!!! :shh:;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.